Connect radiator direct to chassis Mod

Associate
Hi all, I am considering ways of fixing a push pull 60mm radiator directly to the base surface of a Lian Li 011D XL. Ie, without the dedicated fan mounting bracket. I know it’s probably foolish, so I’m only considering it….

Ideally it would be done in a non-destructive way but this doesn’t seem feasible. I don’t think there are products out there than can do this.

If I were to mechanically fix it, this would mean drilling holes in the chassis, either to line up with the fan hole spacings, or, to fit some form of bracket to restrain the rad and fans combo. But again, am unaware of any products that can do this.

This is all because I stubbornly wanted to use 60mm push pull in the base beneath a gpu riser. I know it’s probably too much of a long shot and I should just use a 45mm rad on the Lian Li dedicated fan mounting frame that inserts into the bottom of the chassis.

However I thought I might pick your brains before I resign myself to the inevitable! Cheers guys :)

Associate
OP
Hmmm… super strong Velcro, I have some of that, clean forgotten about it. That might be the ticket.

The difference in cooling between the 45 and 60 may be relatively modest in the scheme of things (don’t obsess with the data!) but the 60 has decent set of multiports on it.

Associate
OP
Yes silence is what I am aiming for. And the multiport will give me lowest drain point as you say, plus some ability to loop my way out of a tight space. Thanks mate will give Velcro a crack and see if this works.

Associate
OP
Here are some pics. Basically I know it’s a long shot and probably foolish but just need a way to secure this to the base. Ignore the cables, it’s all just a loose fit to illustrate the placement. Interested to hear any suggestions! :)

https://flic.kr/p/2mP2qC4

https://flic.kr/p/2mNWY34

https://flic.kr/p/2mNYaQ7

https://flic.kr/p/2mNWUnP

The other issue is obviously the bottom fans will be tight up to the base as I have removed the bottom fan mount chassis bracket that spaces them away a little.

Associate
OP
Much appreciated @Mcnumpty2323 I am thinking that some slim angle brackets might be useful, either as direct fix, or in combination with the velcro. Perhaps the sort of brackets used to fix reservoirs to radiators. I remember seeing some that EK supply with their FLT products that are quite slim.

Associate
OP
Ahh i was uinder the assumption the radiator would be placed at the roof.. my bad.

Forgive me for being silly, as i've not had this case before, but how would you normally screw fans at the base? i don't see any holes.. or is it not originally meant to hold any?

For the base, does seem a little difficult especially with the Vardars fan mounts and thin surface area. The only non-destructive way i can think of though not fully bulletproof so to speak would be to use some strong double-sided tape like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08T98KJVP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

where the fan edges can mould and rest on the tape giving a titght seal and is strong enough to hold down the radiator, whilst doesn't leave any marks/residue when you decide to remove it. That would help stop it wobbling about if you move the computer around, though i don't know what would happen if you tilt... may hold but not for long periods of time.

Not at all! To generate a bit of vertical height from the floor of the case to the GPU bracket (not shown), I have proposed to remove a standard Lian-Li fan mounting bracket and mount direct to the chassis base. This gives me an additonal 15mm to fit the 25mm/60mm/25mm of the push/pull fan and radiator combo. That tape looks bloody useful though, thanks :) Have ordered some anyway!

I assume you can't use the radiator mount
Because of the design of the vardars?
Couldn't you just get longer screws to be able to use it?
Or wire plastic covered cable twist,,never know what to call those
Under the screw head then through the holes in radiator mount?

Yes could do, but as a above due to the omission of the bracket, this would entail drilling the specific holes into the chassis and using some fairly long screws. Am not sure this is the best option, also given the Varder fan design. I have some brackets now, so will try a bracket / velcro lash up* and see if it works.

A case doesn't truly feel like it's yours until you've had a bit of a go at it ;)

I absolutely love this comment! :)

(* that's a technical term, kids, write it down!)

Associate
OP
Cheers. Tried to find that but not sure I found what you’re talking about, do you have a product ref?

I think brackets and Velcro combo will work, just need to locate the right dimensioned bracket. Need one with a short base and long vertical. That way the Velcro option can work with that, I think.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Cheers guys, finally coming together without any more hiccups hopefully. Took ages to get to this point.

:D

Not a fan of sticky tape though. Might want to considering something a bit more rigid further down the line.

Yeah I agree, it's been niggling me. I did test fits of the sticking tape, it's pretty secure, but not as good as a positive "mechical" connection in terms of ultimate peace of mind. Was actually thinking exactly along the lines of what you said - get something in between the fan and rad somehow.

Associate
OP
Awesome mate! Thank you! That’s brilliant. Need to get thinking on this.

In the meantime, all the main components are now fitted. Not sure about that strimer gpu cable though.

https://flic.kr/p/2mR8h9E

ps: how can I get an image embedded here?
2mR8h9E

Associate
OP
Don't use Flickr but here's a test
Using your photo

Cheers @Mcnumpty2323 will have to look at bbcode.

If you design it i'm happy to 3d print you an adapter to use the existing holes.

ahh mate that’s very kind, thank you so much! :) . Let me have a think as to dimensions and design and I may take you up on that offer! Suitably compensated of course (ie beer).

I have a feeling once it has two hosepipes sticking out of it it may be held down fairly well. Like mcnumpty said. The case weighs a TON with all the components inside and this will never be tipped over except for the occasional drain, and I’ll have a drain port at the lowest point.

On the gpu cables, might just try some normal ones. curve it down the back of the card, 180 turn.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With pipes attached, and the proximity of the gpu bracket, this rad is pretty stable once the tape is applied. However, still wondering as to an exact design for a bracket of some sort.

I got hold of three of those 180 adaptors. They’re pretty damn good actually. The strimer is out of the window (shame) as it’s too rigid. I got some normal white braided cables, these could also be a good fit/look, so need to decide upon this or using the 180s with them.

In other news, and much to my disappointment, I have discovered that a metal port plug won’t fit into one - only one - of the ports on my radiator. It won’t go in fully and it therefore leaks air. If I use the hard plastic one that came with the radiator, it’s fine. I can’t work out why the metal plugs doesn’t go into this one port.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom