1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consensus on 9900k temps and cooling?

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Grim5, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:00 PM.

  1. Grim5

    Associate

    Joined: Feb 6, 2019

    Posts: 11

    Let me describe my predicament

    I have a 8700k @ 5ghz, it requires 1.37v to be stable. Its on 360mm AIO with 6 fan push/pull.
    It's not delid and I'm not going to. The CPU can spike up to 88c degrees observed so far in Summer

    It seems reading around here, a lot of 9900k are getting 5ghz at 1.3v - and the 9900k has a better heatspreader - what sort of temps can be expected on a 360mm AIO @ 5ghz with the 9900k?

    Thanks
     
  2. Krono5

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Dec 16, 2008

    Posts: 1,032

    There's no guarantee a 9900k will even hit 5Ghz. Something like 40% are capable at 1.3v but the other 60% may not be capable even at 1.4v.
     
  3. Distracted

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Aug 30, 2018

    Posts: 1,625

    It really depends on how high you need to push the vcore to get 5GHz. Some will do 5 at less than 1.2v which means a cooler running CPU, while others (as pointed out above) refuse to do 5GHz no matter how many volts you throw at them.

    The 8700k was similar in this regard so whatever CPU you buy you are playing the odds of the silicon lottery when it comes to overclocking.

    The solder TIM helps keep things cooler than the TIM used on the 8700k but you are still at the mercy of the quality of the silicon.
     
  4. Grim5

    Associate

    Joined: Feb 6, 2019

    Posts: 11

    To ignore the lottery - let's assume I buy the 5ghz 1.3v 9900k from silicon lottery, it's on stock at the moment

    I just want to know what temps to expect with a 360mm aio
     
  5. Distracted

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Aug 30, 2018

    Posts: 1,625

    30 idle 50-60 gaming

    Edit - by idle i mean light pc use. Browsing, netflix, that sort of thing. Thats just a rough idea and obviously ambient temps will raise or lower that.
     
  6. Parkinson1NX

    Gangster

    Joined: Oct 16, 2015

    Posts: 292

    Location: Norfolk, ENG

    at 100% load for over an hour in AIDA64 I get average temps 70/80 and max of 86/88c 1.38v to keep at that load.

    Gaming takes max 1.315v and temps max out at 70/75 for over 4 hours of gaming. Average temps are low to mid 60s
     
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 9:18 AM
  7. Gabbatek

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Feb 28, 2011

    Posts: 1,561

    Location: Norwich

    this. I have one of the worst and to get 5 it needs 1.45 in it! It runs so damn hot with the h115i pro. heavy cpu intensive puts it upto 85c. prime95 small test throttles hard

    but general gaming its at 70c
     
  8. Grim5

    Associate

    Joined: Feb 6, 2019

    Posts: 11

    And yet that is still better than I get - my 8700k with 1.37v 5ghz hits 88c as soon as I run Cinebench, it takes 1 second to go from 25c to 88c
     
  9. CuriousTomCat

    Gangster

    Joined: Nov 22, 2018

    Posts: 164

    You could buy 9900K and still not be happy. Dont fall into that trap. The silicon lottery is about living with your gamble, otherwise you're chasing your lossses. Walk away.
     
  10. Robert896r1

    Gangster

    Joined: Sep 28, 2018

    Posts: 237

    I have a Dark Rock 4 (non pro) cooler with my 9900k at 1.26v @ 5ghz no AVX offset in a HAF X case which is great for GPU cooling but just "ok" for CPU cooling.

    I have the fan at 100% on the cooler. Idle = 28-30c Regular gaming = 65-70c Battlefield 5 = 70c with occasional spike to 80c

    An AIO should performance 7-10 degrees better at load than this.

    9900k temps shoot up a lot with vcore. Example, same CPU with 1.30v will add another 5-7c.