Considering a new bike - ZX6r or Daytona 675. Opinions?

Soldato
I did my CBT about 18 months ago, rode around on my CBR125 for a bit then did my test and got an SV650s last November.

Whilst I like the SV650s, part of me would like something a bit more upmarket (ie had "proper" brakes/suspension and maybe even posh stuff like a fuel gauge ;))

From doing a bit of research I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes, the Kawasaki ZX6r and the Triumph Daytona 675. Both bikes seem to get a decent upgrade in 2009 so I'd be looking for a lateish model. The main difference between the two seems to be down to the engine, do I go for the IL4 or the triple?

Has anyone got any experience of both?

Soldato
No experience of both I'm afraid. I previously rode a GSXR K1 for a few years and loved it. I had previously read that the Kawasaki ZX range of that age can generally be a harsher ride. Everything I read about the Daytona praised it massively, saying that they engine had such midrange grunt that it was more usable and pleasurable to ride. I'd certainly look into parts cost and avaialbility with the Daytona though. I've previously owned an Aprilia and found sourcing parts a nightmare. So much so I wouldn't go there again.

Soldato
Try both, that's my best advice :) you will know instantly what you prefer, and going from a twin you may find the howl of a IL4 seems to be faster but you will also notice the Triple pulls everywhere, your still going stupidly fast but you wont notice the rush as much as you do when an IL4 gets into its rev range :p I found the triple had much more usable power, you could be pootling along in third and wack open the throttle and your doing illegal speeds in seconds before even needing to think about changing gear, it has so much usable revs! as long as you don't mind making a lot of noise :p

These two bikes are also on the top of my next bike list, for track use mainly so the Triumph may win with its more track focused position, if your going to be doing a lot of motorway/road miles the Kawasaki is going to be more comfortable.

Last edited:
Associate
ZX6r is meant to be better on the road and have more low-mid range power. You should sit on them both at least, test ride even better!

Soldato
OP
I've sat on the ZX6r a few days ago, was surprisingly comfortable and the mirrors were actually usable which surprised me. Got a test ride booked for Saturday so I'll see how it goes, not sure where my nearest Triumph dealer is though, will have to check.

Soldato
I found the Triumph felt miniscule, like a toy bike. I love the looks and the sound but I'm sure I'd look silly (well, sillier than usual) perched on one.

Soldato
I've sat on the ZX6r a few days ago, was surprisingly comfortable and the mirrors were actually usable which surprised me. Got a test ride booked for Saturday so I'll see how it goes, not sure where my nearest Triumph dealer is though, will have to check.

As mentioned you need to try both really, I've not ridden the ZX-6R but owned an '07 Daytona 675 for ~6 months (sold it as I started racing and needed the money/'gave up on road riding') and I've now got a brand new (in feb) Street Triple R, I love the power delivery of the triple engine,

I did ride the '08 R6 before buying the Daytona 675 and it was much better at giving the rush of accelerating as it hit the power band but the 675 was still good and much much more usable at 'normal' revs/riding, I also felt more comfortable with the 675 straight out of the box compared to the R6.

I would also recommend trying the Street Triple R as well, you've got good brakes and suspension (I believe the same/similar to the pre-09 daytona) and the engine has been 'tuned for torque' or in other words a bit less revvy but a flat torque curve from a shade over 3000rpm up to ~11,500 or so iirc (around 13k redline, 14.xk on the daytona iirc), I love mine and think it's fantastic as a road bike, fantastic handling and an engine that can both trundle along at 30mph in 6th as well as ride like a lunatic depending on your mood :D

As for dealer you've got Fowlers in central bristol or my preference (heard some bad reports about Fowlers, but nothing to back that up) is Performance Triumph at either Swindon or Cheltenham, bought the Daytona from the Cheltenham branch and the striple from the Swindon branch, used both for test rides and had good customer service at all times :)

Last edited:
Soldato
track toy - 675 without a doubt!

road toy - maybe a ZX6. If you were thinking go trumpet - better stock bike for track. if you look at the superstock though that gives you the best advertisement. this year the R6 is best stock bike. :)

Associate
depends on your riding style i'd say... if you want to hoon on Sunday mornings then it would have to be an I4...it's very rewarding having to work for the power. If you want a more lazy bike the 675 is a great engine.

Soldato
I've ridden both, and the engines are so different you need to see which you prefer. Both handle superbly as you'd expect, the ZX6 was more comfy (better research into ergonomics I think).

The triple sounds absolutely superb, but whilst they are both quick I prefer the power delivery of an IL4 these days

Soldato
As for dealer you've got Fowlers in central bristol or my preference (heard some bad reports about Fowlers, but nothing to back that up) is Performance Triumph at either Swindon or Cheltenham, bought the Daytona from the Cheltenham branch and the striple from the Swindon branch, used both for test rides and had good customer service at all times :)

Someone at work has had a bad experience with Fowlers - bought an SE 675 and it's been in an out like a yo-yo, he eventually wrote to Triumph about the problems and they put pressure onto Fowlers.

Off the top of my head - he had a sticker that was damaged, so they replaced the panel itself, but the replacement wasn't the greatest of colour match, think they replaced it again but scratched the bike in the process. One of the headlights also had a thumb print inside the lens (though technically not their fault) - but that took lots of wrangling to sort.

Of the two - I'd say that the sales staff of Fowlers are better, but the service guys from GW must be better - not had any bad experiences with them; nor heard of any.

As for a Trumpet dealer, the Blade Group one (Performance Triumph) that SKILL mentions, seemed really nice when I've been in there - a mechanic offered me a doughnut when browsing, sales guys was really nice when I test rode a 675 too. Only thing I didn't like much, was getting a call the day after from him, asking if I'd decided on the bike - guess it's his job though!

For the bikes themselves... the 675 was amazing to ride, light, flick-able, lots of punch at all revs, amazing brakes too. But watch out, if you're used to an I4 engine, as I was, you'll probably end up banging your bits into the tank, as the engine braking certainly caught me out. Oh, and, I've never had so many people turn and watch me pass, as I had on the 675 (the engine note must sound amazing!).

Soldato
I think the 675 is a little bit more special but as mentioned parts & dealer might be an issue £££.

I have an 05 ZX6R and have sat on an 09 ZX6R before I even rode a 125 but can't recall much as I was in awe/shock at the size of the bloody thing having never sat on a bike before.

I don't know which is rarer or will hold, if anything, more value than the other?

As suggested ride both :) I love my ZX6R it's my first bike and I've not been disappointed with it at all.

Soldato
I think the 675 is a little bit more special but as mentioned parts & dealer might be an issue £££.

I have an 05 ZX6R and have sat on an 09 ZX6R before I even rode a 125 but can't recall much as I was in awe/shock at the size of the bloody thing having never sat on a bike before.

I don't know which is rarer or will hold, if anything, more value than the other?

As suggested ride both :) I love my ZX6R it's my first bike and I've not been disappointed with it at all.

I had an 06 6R (636cc) as my first bike - loved it, but the 675 wipes the floor with it imo - feels smaller, lighter, stops and goes better.

Of the two, the 675 will probably hold the value better than the Ninja - looking at Bike Trader seems to confirm this.

Soldato
Sorry for the confusion, my post was aimed at the 06 era of bike, a follow on to BennyC's post :)

The 2009 onwards model (side can version), from what I have read, is indeed a totally different bike... wouldn't mind one myself actually :D

Soldato
OP
Just got back from a test ride.
Had about an hours seat time and thoroughly enjoyed it. The ZX6r was super smooth and really easy to ride, it just felt so natural to ride.

Good points :
front brake is awesome, so sharp
Engine was beautifully smooth
Handling was amazing, always felt very composed and stable.

Bad points :
Back brake doesn't exist. Felt wooden and did nothing.
A bit uncomfortable on the wrists but that's maybe cos I'm used to the SV position
Mirrors werent exactly much use, you could lose a lorry in your blind spot.

Overall I really liked it, gonna try and arrange a test ride on the 675 now.

Soldato
Seems I missed this/forgot about the thread, from reading that have you considered a non-sports bike? I'm thinking specifically Triumph Street Triple (R) now, but there're other options for naked bikes that aren't as 'soft' as the SV650.

Mainly the last two points, sports bikes aren't generally great on the wrists, for me I find that's as I end up sitting up more than the 'natural' sports position 90% of the time which is just awkward. And mirrors again seem crap on all sports bikes I've ridden, saying that the Street Triple isn't massively better at this.

As for the back brake, meh, nobody uses that anyway :p

Soldato
OP
Fowlers weren't interested in letting me test ride the 675 so gonna have to try a different dealer.

The good news is that I've sold the SV, first guy to see it bought it.

Bad news is that the three ZX6rs that I've been watching for weeks all sold yesterday, typical!! Any suggestions for any good bike sale sites? (currently using biketrader, pistonheads and eBay)

Back
Top Bottom