Considering buy a VR headset, what to go for?

Soldato
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting a VR headset I'm am thinking Oculus Rift as I don't game too much on PS4. Cheers

Associate
I went with the Oculus Rift as I didn't have the space for room scale, but since then Oculus have bought out additional sensors and touch controllers. So my vote would be for the Rift.

Last edited:
Associate
Rift owners will say Rift, Vive owners will say Vive. ;)

Personally I have the Vive and have not regretted it one bit - the tracking tech seems more robust and elegant (IMO), and there are new peripherals coming out soon (wireless, trackers, improved headstraps, controllers). But it does start to get very expensive when you add it all up, and the Rift is going for a steal at the moment...

Soldato
I am a rift owner, but, even if I owned the Vive, I still reckon I would advise you to go with the Rift.

When they were both roughly the same price it was, go with the Vive if you wanted great roomscale or Rift if you wanted mainly sit down experiences.

But, now with the price cut, the huge improvement in tracking and the amazing touch controllers I can't see why you would pick the Vive over the Rift unless you had an extremely large space that you wanted to use for VR.

Associate
If you go with Rift, make sure you grab the Touch controllers as well - it opens up so much more in the way of games (and you get a couple of very good free ones like Robo Recall and Dead And Buried).

Soldato
Based on the price and hoping you get a good one I would say Rift. However having not gotten a good one and then having had to deal with their customer support I would say buy a vive from OCUK, which is what i ended up doing when my rift shaped paper weight took 2 months plus to get an RMA label on.

Associate
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting a VR headset I'm am thinking Oculus Rift as I don't game too much on PS4. Cheers
my advice to you would be to get a PS4 PRO and PSVR, that if you want VR for gaming, the sony platform is bound to grab most AAA PC titles, and PS4 exclusives on VR, sony sold twice as much headset in few months then oculus and HTC combined did in a year, seeing the price of PC headsets, the market is very small and wont grow anytime soon, and developers do not make AAA titles worth playing for couple hundred thousands prospect.
if you buy VR for videos and social stuff, i would go for oculus.
that said, the Vive still seem to be the best imo, flawless tracking, best gaming support on the long run, you need to understand that the tech behind the Vive is owned by Valve, they have a 1year exclusivity deal with HTC to manufacture the first headset, after that it's going to be a licence up for grab by other manufacturers, first of which would be LG, and for it's open nature, more games will be designed for the Valve platform regardless of the manufacturer(on PC).

Associate
I've used both Rift and Vive. I own a Vive. Buy either for the short-term good of VR.

Rift is comfier and easier to put on because of the integrated headphones

I don't blame my tools for shoddy skill - the Vive wand is just as ergonomic under the control of my spanner fingers as the Oculus touch controller.

Vive has out of the box tracking goodness with a superior technical solution which is going through new developments already.

Vive has Valve/Steam. Rift has Facebook/Occulus Store

Facebook might be trying hard with their money to buy out timed exclusives, but their approach to their shop front is akin to Uplay or the Microsoft Store. Steam has a far greater legacy for gamers.

Fallout IV VR is being developed for Steam VR, though Zenimax and Facebook aren't exactly on speaking terms considering that Facebook lost the recent court case

Elite Dangerous works equally well on both platforms.

Vivecraft is.... vivecraft and is awesome minecraft adaptation

Personally speaking, I do not trust Facebook with my information, so I stay clear of them. Nevertheless, steam's approach to open standards is worthy of support far beyond Facebook's proprietary closed shop approach.

edit: on Vive's tracking... https://www.facebook.com/nathie944/videos/1391301200931216/

Last edited:
Associate
Im a big kid, and have a vive , rift and ps4 pro with psvr.Although they are all good in their own rights i tend to play the rift the most, i think the rift has the edge, i think rift has a crisper screen, just my personal oppinion. Ive owed 2 rifts and both had to be returned due to faults, the first 1 i purchased direct through oculus and had a nightmare with customer services they were terrible , took ages to get a replacement, the 2nd i got from a well known high street video game seller, when that played up i walked in with the receipt and got a replacement that day, so i would go that route if i was you if you decide to get a rift.

Associate
i think rift has a crisper screen, just my personal oppinion

Technically, I'm not sure what would give the actual science for that perception, maybe the slight difference in the lenses? I don't deny your opinion. I'm just curious what might be driving it. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/vive-rift-playstation-vr-comparison,review-33556-3.html

Also "god rays" were an peculiar issue with the Rift (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...rome..69i57.1855j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) has than been fixed?

Soldato
My rift looks nothing like the god ray pictures you linked to also the hdmi trick helps the rift big time for most, when I first used mine I thought the image was blurry not low resolution but after I did the hdmi swap big difference for me.

Associate
Technically, I'm not sure what would give the actual science for that perception, maybe the slight difference in the lenses? I don't deny your opinion. I'm just curious what might be driving it. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/vive-rift-playstation-vr-comparison,review-33556-3.html

Also "god rays" were an peculiar issue with the Rift (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...rome..69i57.1855j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) has than been fixed?
Technically on paper yes, theres no difference between the 2, but what i think the rifts screen is slightly smaller than the vives so mayber the pixels arnt as visible and games ive got on steam ( that i can play on both headsets) in my oppinion the image seems crisper on the rift compared to vive.
Lets put it this way, my rift is connected to my my new ryzen, 1080 ti build and my vive is on top of my wardrobe gathering dust lol.
I like em both though, not a lot of difference really, rift is easier to wear too in my humble opinion:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom