• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Console Converts

Soldato
Nah, gave consoles a shot but the options are just pathetic and limited, and even the famed console optimizations were nothing but hype. I just can't imagine how people who aren't PC-illiterate switch back unless they only play FIFA and the like where it matters much less. The overall lack of control feels like a huge handicap and I couldn't get over it. At this point I'm so used to the decadence of a PC that I'd rather give up gaming than be stuck on console.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Would love to get some tips on using a controller for FPS games. Lad had a Series X about 12 months ago. Have downloaded all my old FPS games through game pass (Battlefield mainly but a bit of Warzone too). Cannot for the life of me get used to the controller else would convert to a console.

Have for so used to Keyboard and Mouse and just can't seem to get the muscle memory for a controller at all.

Such a shame as it's a great console.

I forced myself after an injury kept me off work for a month so I got a PS4 and played, you eventually adapt and improve a lot. Growing up chiefly on k+m though its hard, some of the younger gen have only ever used controllers so they stick with that.

Reactions: VB6
Soldato
Would love to get some tips on using a controller for FPS games. Lad had a Series X about 12 months ago. Have downloaded all my old FPS games through game pass (Battlefield mainly but a bit of Warzone too). Cannot for the life of me get used to the controller else would convert to a console.

Have for so used to Keyboard and Mouse and just can't seem to get the muscle memory for a controller at all.

Such a shame as it's a great console.

Practice is all. I remember getting a launch xbox 360 with COD2 and not being able to use a controller at all. By the time I'd completed the campaign it wasn't so bad. Now I'd say I'm equally as proficient (read - equally as terrible) with either a controller or a k&m.

Reactions: VB6
Soldato
OP
Now that I'm converted to PS5, and considering how well it trades blows with a 3080, it's going to take a lot to tempt me to buy a 4080 this year. The price will be a big factor, especially when I already own the console.

The longer we go the bigger the gap, and obviously a GPU will leave a PS5 in it's wake soon enough - but that doesn't feel like a viable move right now unless the 4080 is a big upgrade at sub £600 with plenty of availability.

Soldato
No sure what this thread is doing here it belongs in the dead Console Games & Hardware.

Consoles peaked with the PS2 era (still the most sold console ever) and they've been fading into irrelevancy ever since then.

I hope those who claim that they're not interested in the 40xx series really mean it because I got a few mates really keen to build gaming rigs at a good price.

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
It's a thread asking if PC gamers have been tempted to convert to console and it clearly belongs in the GPU section; what would be the point in asking console owners if they've considered owning a console?

Agreed, this is the best place for this discussion. With the rising cost of GPUs it's a good time to discuss which provides the best value / experience for members.

Soldato
Nah, gave consoles a shot but the options are just pathetic and limited, and even the famed console optimizations were nothing but hype. I just can't imagine how people who aren't PC-illiterate switch back unless they only play FIFA and the like where it matters much less. The overall lack of control feels like a huge handicap and I couldn't get over it. At this point I'm so used to the decadence of a PC that I'd rather give up gaming than be stuck on console.
I agree with the first part about it feeling so restricted and the lack of options (I hate the labels quality and performance if they don't elaborate and say what the framerate is), but the fruits of the console optimisation usually become apparent later in the generation. The PS5 is performing really well in that UE5 Matrix demo for instance and they are still not using all its features I believe.

Soldato
OP
Just to throw in a negative of Console gaming - One really strong point of PC gaming is that as new hardware evolves we can go back and play titles that maybe didn't perform so great with the hardware we had on release. Unfortunately, there's very few "legacy PS4" games that I've went back and played on the PS5, mainly because the game needs to be re-written for the new hardware else it just looks and plays crap.

There have been a few exceptions like The Last Of us and God Of War etc. but a random example of a couple of games that haven't benefit from PS5 hardware are Fallout and Batman AK.

Associate
Now that I'm converted to PS5, and considering how well it trades blows with a 3080, it's going to take a lot to tempt me to buy a 4080 this year. The price will be a big factor, especially when I already own the console.

The longer we go the bigger the gap, and obviously a GPU will leave a PS5 in it's wake soon enough - but that doesn't feel like a viable move right now unless the 4080 is a big upgrade at sub £600 with plenty of availability.

Only annoying thing with PS5/XBSX and games like Warzone is that while you can play at 120hz and good graphical fidelity you're limited to 80 field of view, which does put you at a disadvantage against someone on PC who can probably push the same graphical settings but at a substantially wider 120 FoV on say an RTX 2080.

Soldato
Only annoying thing with PS5/XBSX and games like Warzone is that while you can play at 120hz and good graphical fidelity you're limited to 80 field of view, which does put you at a disadvantage against someone on PC who can probably push the same graphical settings but at a substantially wider 120 FoV on say an RTX 2080.
I run COD Cold War at 120hz, FOV 104 on the Series x. (using keyboard and mouse, Razer Turret) I play cross play against PCs and am still coming top three generally. Are you saying it degrades the image the wider the FOV is?

Soldato

:p:D

Just poking some fun. I actually have no problems with console gaming. Have the Series X and I enjoy it. Will get a PS5 down the line. I like both PC and Console gaming and think there is a place for both if you can afford it. If you can only afford either a Console or a PC, then get the one with the games you like the most and that most of your friends have.

Associate
I run COD Cold War at 120hz, FOV 104 on the Series x. (using keyboard and mouse, Razer Turret) I play cross play against PCs and am still coming top three generally. Are you saying it degrades the image the wider the FOV is?

No Cold War and Vanguard you can up the FoV on console. It's just Warzone where consoles are locked to 80 FoV, which on a battle royale isn't ideal especially with crossplay vs PC players.

Soldato
Agreed, this is the best place for this discussion. With the rising cost of GPUs it's a good time to discuss which provides the best value / experience for members.
It might belong in the PC games section but that would also be a stretch. You wouldn't go to the console section and ask them if they're switching to PC as you would get reported and your thread locked.

Anyway, if you want to talk about value then PC gaming wins there too with the Steam Deck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom