Constant Re-Boots

Associate
Hi All!

I have a Threadripper 1920x system with a Microstar X399 mobo, 32gb RAM and two RTX 2800ti GPUs. I know it is getting on a bit but there is still plenty of life in the system and it renders pretty quick using Redshift.

The problem I am getting started last week, I would be working on my PC and then it would make a faint blip noise and re-boot. I updated the GPU driver still does it. Then I left it with no apps running and it still does the same thing. So I thought I would test it using memtest86 with a bootable USB drive. Booted up fine and started the test and after about 10 mins it rebooted itself. So doing this I know the problem is not Windows 10 since it didn't boot into Windows - right?

So I booted into BIOS and left it to run and low an behold it blipped and re-booted.

I cannot really pinpoint what is causing this. All I can think is that it is either the power supply which is a Corsair AX1600i which is only 4 years old, the RAM Corsair Vengance, the GPUs which are identical (and I have tried running the machine on both and it still crashes so I don't think it is either of these) or a flaky CPU or mobo. I know the CPU is not overheating since I monitored the temperature in BIOS.

If anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know. The machine is reasonably useable until it decides to re-boot!

The problem I am getting started last week, I would be working on my PC and then it would make a faint blip noise and re-boot. I updated the GPU driver still does it. Then I left it with no apps running and it still does the same thing. So I thought I would test it using memtest86 with a bootable USB drive. Booted up fine and started the test and after about 10 mins it rebooted itself. So doing this I know the problem is not Windows 10 since it didn't boot into Windows - right?
The obvious question would be: what changed? Did you change anything at all, did you move the PC, did you even change the ports that your USB devices are connected to?

If you didn't change anything, then there's no easy way to know I'm afraid.

@Tetras I think I did a Windows update but other than that nothing. I don't think it is Windows though since when I boot into BIOS and leave it it does it little blip re-boot and when I ran memtest86 it does the same thing so with those tests it is not touching the Windows OS since it cannot be them. I have just checked all the temperatures and they seem to be fine I am wondering of it might be a malfunctioning temperature sensor that is causing it to think it is running too hot and then reboot? Would that make sense? Or would a temperature thing cause the machine to shut down?

All the fans are running fine from what I can see, spent a half day cleaning everything. I think I might unplug the USB devices and one of the GPUs and some of the mem and see if it behaves then. It is REALLY annoying!

Well I would be really annoyed if it was the PSU since it was a Rolls Royce of a PSU, a Corsair AX1600i which is 1600 watts and cost me over £400! And it's only 4 years old…

Could try a CMOS reset by using the button on the rear IO plate

Getting to the battery is under the IO shield plate but you may be able to diconnect the red and black wires, if you want to pull the battery instead.

I think I can "visualise" the kind of noise you are describing. Sounds like the PSU power protection kicking in. My guess is some piece of hardware is starting to fail...the question is which one.

Personally this is when I'd start stripping the computer and running it as a bare bones test bench to try and isolate the problem part

OK the latest update is I took out the memory and tested each stick individually after disconnecting all the hard drives. I also removed one of the identical GPUs. It still re-booted. So I switched to the other GPU - it still rebooted! Then I looked at my PSU since it has a test button on the AX1600i PSU. It turned green and the fan spun but I tested it several times and occasionally it went red… It's only four years old so I went back to the supplier who said plug in the iCue USB cable and switch if from multi-rail to single rail. Now I cannot do that since both of my internal USB slots are taken, one with the H100i Cooler and the other with the front USB slots which I use for my Wacom tablet and mouse.

Funnily enough having done the PSU test my system seems to have stabilised somewhat and only reboots occasionally not consistently. I am wondering what I have done? I know that I cannot add any more RAM in the vacant RAM slots since the USB cable coming out of the H100i cooler is in the way... I am also not convinced that going from multi-rail to single will make a difference since the PC has worked fine for four years. Using the iCue software I can also see that my system does not seem to suffer from overheating problems. Can I unplug the iClue USB cable from the H100 cooler temporarily and plug in my PSU just to check that out?

The only way to test is to get another power supply and see if you still have the same random reboot issue
Regardless, you paid the best part of £400-500 for that PSU with a 10 year warranty...I'd be heading straight to Corsair for a replacement

Can I unplug the iClue USB cable from the H100 cooler temporarily and plug in my PSU just to check that out?
Yes.

I am also not convinced that going from multi-rail to single will make a difference since the PC has worked fine for four years.
Do it anyway, I've read about that helping in the past, though I think the situation was rather different to yours.

System seems to be running fine now and I haven't done anything other than install the iCue software which doesn't make sense since MemTest86 which doesn't boot into Windows still had the re-boot problem. Anyway happy bunny at the moment since it has remained stable for the past two days. So I am mystified, some sort of low level fault that has corrected itself?

System seems to be running fine now and I haven't done anything other than install the iCue software which doesn't make sense since MemTest86 which doesn't boot into Windows still had the re-boot problem. Anyway happy bunny at the moment since it has remained stable for the past two days. So I am mystified, some sort of low level fault that has corrected itself?
The fault might just be intermittent, there might be some hardware in the process of failing but stable enough temporarily.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom