'Contact lost' with Malaysia Airlines plane

Soldato
OP
They've only had 2 fatal incidents according to Wiki. One in 1977 which was the result of a hijacking killing 100 and one in 1995 killing 34 (pilot error).

Looks like it was a Boeing 777.

Soldato
OP
The plane had been flying at an altitude of 35,000ft (10,700m) and the pilots had not reported any problems with the aircraft, Fuad Sharuji, Malaysian Airlines' vice-president of operations control, told CNN.
Src:BBC

Mid flight even a small structural failure might prove catastrophic. Perhaps to the extent gforces would prevent the crew from issuing a mayday or even total destruction in a small timeframe.

Apparently the same plane was involved in a ground collision damaging a wing tip. Could be something or nothing.

Soldato
OP
The Air France was something to do with frozen tubes which are used to determine air speed I think. But yeah the pilot failed to follow appropriate procedure. Only when the captain intervened (albeit much too late) was the actual problem realised.

Having said all that it might be another incident I'm describing!

Soldato
OP
According to news sources this morning the plane may have turned around according to new radar information. Hijacking then?

"Radar signals show a Malaysia Airlines plane that has been missing for more than 24 hours may have turned back, Malaysian officials have said."

Soldato
OP
Why would that mean it had to be a hijacking? ... Could have been a technical issue and they wanted to head for the nearest airport so changed course ...

Because I'd presume they would radio in a technical problem of any nature, let alone one which requires them to abort their intended route.

Soldato
OP
Last year passengers were able to board planes more than a billion times without having their passports screened against INTERPOL's databases. As far back as 2002 following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, INTERPOL created its SLTD database to help countries secure their borders and protect their citizens from terrorists and other dangerous criminals known to use fraudulent travel documents.
Since then INTERPOL's database has grown from a few thousand passports and searches to more than 40 million entries and more than 800 million searches per year, averaging 60,000 hits. The US searches this database annually more 250 million times; the UK more than 120 million times and the UAE more than 50 million times.
Unfortunately, few member countries systematically search INTERPOL's databases to determine whether a passenger is using a stolen or lost travel document to board a plane.
Src:INTERPOL

Looks like the procedures to detect this sort of thing are executed frequently here. It's other countries where procedures are lapse.

Soldato
OP
I doubt the USA would assist in a cover up if Russia or China shot down a plane. Besides, doesn't explain the extended flight time. Independent sources like London based Inmarsat say they received signals from the aircraft hours after it's alleged disappearance. Unless they're in on it too.

Soldato
OP
Well there's still millions of tons of debris from the Japanese tsunami floating the worlds oceans, entire intact houses have been spotted at sea, so if its not plane debris, it could be pretty much anything.

Very true. Lots of stuff falls off transportation vessels in heavy seas too. Looking at the estimated arc though, there is at least some degree of likelihood this might be a section of the missing plane.

Soldato
OP
On a side note, I do find the over-use of the term "BREAKING NEWS" annoying

+1
Everything is BREAKING NEWS!! So dramatic. I remember the old days when we'd get a programme interruption on TV when something worthy of Breaking News actually occurred. Two I remember are the Zeebrugge disaster and Piper Alpha. Both in the late 80s.

Soldato
OP
Did anyone see the Channel5 programme? I'm watching it now and oh dear. Best quote so far:
"In June 2009, Air France 447 - a Boeing Airbus - disappeared over the Atlantic."

I've re-played that bit 5 times and I'm quite certain that's what the narrator says. Boeing Airbus? Suppose it could have been 'bowing' Airbus but that wouldn't make any sense either!

Soldato
OP
"Malaysian Airlines says it now has to assume "beyond any reasonable doubt" that missing flight MH370 has been lost and and there are no survivors."
Deliberately ambiguous? Is there new data or are they reacting to pressure?

Soldato
OP
Personally I wouldn't have a clue of the plane I was on suddenly changes course. I suppose if you're in the air for 7 hours when it's a 4 hour flight (not sure what the journey time was meant to be in this case) you might think something's up. But a sudden turn? Really? You'd think something was up? Suppose it depends on how aggressive the turn was.

I remember boarding a plane in Barcelona and there was a liquid pouring out from underneath it (we walked up steps to board the plane). I was with my mrs and we both agreed not to say anything for fear of looking silly. Turns out it was the air conditioning overflow or something. Can't remember how we found out in the end but we didn't alert anyone to it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom