1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

Convert Seagate Expansion to Backup Plus HDD?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by willhub, Oct 1, 2018.

1. willhub

Capodecina

Hi.

I have both a 4TB Seagate Expansion and a 2TB Backup Plus.

Is it possible to convert the Expansion into a backup plus in terms of remote backup and cloud usage, is it a case of just copying the files from the Backup Plus to the Expansion?

Reason for this. I'm going to de-shell the backup plus to use the 2TB in my laptop as it's cheaper to buy external than internal and net a much better internal drive for the price and I find the backup and cloud facilities appealing.

2. d_brennen

Capodecina

SOME external HDDs are custom jobs that aren't exactly 2.5" SATA, Western Digital springs to mind, YMMV

3. willhub

Capodecina

I'm aware of that, luckily there are videos on youtube back the Seagate backup plus and seems to come with higher prices 2.5" standard HDD's.

4. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

The external drives are typically archive drives therefore drive performance suffers.

5. willhub

Capodecina

I thought that, but I've found through researching that now a days they're actually just standard drives and from looking at ones where they have taken them our are just better drives.

https://www.howtogeek.com/324769/ho...drives-for-cheap-by-shucking-external-drives/

I never considered it until I came across "shucking"

**EDIT** - I'm getting nervous, I may find it's a soldiered USB connection, if it is then I'll give my GF it and put my less used games on my 4TB, but if it is a USB Bridge then brilliant.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  6. willhub

Capodecina

If anyone is interestrd this was so easy to open and has a st2000lm007