Cookbooks Ultimate List

Man of Honour
Does anyone have any recommendations of a decent south Korean and Japanese books?
I like a picture with ever recipe and a wide range of authentic dishes. Lot if books look westernised, or focus to much on one sort of dish etc.

beh

beh

Associate
Genuinely surprised that 'McGee on Food and Cooking' never came up in this thread.
It's mostly quite a dry read, more of a textbook. The pictures aren't particularly inspiring, relative to other cookbooks that is. Not exactly packed with great recipes either.

Have skimmed through it a couple times and there's some useful titbits, very rarely used for reference otherwise.

Man of Honour
Had to go look him up, but I do remember him.
See what it's like, should turn up tomorrow. It's so hard to fond decent cook books, zi know what I want I just can't find them.

Caporegime
Ok, made a few additions, so here is my updated list with the additions in green:

------------------------------------------------------

English/General:

French:

Italian:

Spanish:

Rick Stein's Spain: 140 New Recipes Inspired by My Journey Off the Beaten Track http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rick-Steins...d=1446669165&sr=1-1&keywords=rick+stein+spain

Seafood:

Indian:

Asian General:

Chinese:

Thai:

Vegetarian:

Greek:

Persian/Middle East:

Baking/Cakes:

Health & Nutrition:

------------------------------------------------------

I want to eventually collect the best examples of all the cuisines I like. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
New book, love this "series" it must be a series as layout, look etc are identical
Edit yes series is Culina, got the European one as well which is great. Not for new cooks though. It's not exactly step by step. Enough info if your constable in the kitchen though. These are amazing books for those who want to cook fine dining dishes at home.

Culina Mundi and only cost me £4 brand new. Yes I want to cook that recipe

2du0dx4.jpg

vglj87.jpg

Soldato
Dough - By Richard Bertinet (On my wishlist, supposedly an amazing bible of bread making)
Crust - By Richard Bertinet (On my wishlist, supposedly an amazing bible of bread making)
The Italian Baker - By Carol Field (Making grissini from it today funnily enough)
The Cooking Book - by Victoria Blashford-Snell (This is an amazing all round to have)

Associate
It's mostly quite a dry read, more of a textbook. The pictures aren't particularly inspiring, relative to other cookbooks that is. Not exactly packed with great recipes either.

Have skimmed through it a couple times and there's some useful titbits, very rarely used for reference otherwise.

It's primary source material for pretty much any cookbook that attempts a scientific spin.

Most of the little chestnuts like "oh my god, searing meat doesn't seal in the juices" that people like to quote so frequently all come from McGee.

A lot of the books people are mentioning here are just cook-by-numbers books that allow someone who has just picked up a pan for the first time to cook as well as someone who has been cooking for years. They don't explain the hows and whys particularly well, so you don't actually improve as a cook. (The obvious exceptions being ones like the Serious Eats book).

Back
Top Bottom