Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
^ Interesting. I kept feeding mine but it vinegared over the weekend. I might try it again without the cider dregs, but if there's a bit of acetobacter floating around my house then it'll probably get in and do the same once any natural yeast gets going.

Associate
This thread made me bake many things about 2 years ago.. Work and life got in the way and I stopped.

Now with new job and more free time I keep getting the urge! Armed with Paul Hollywood's 'How to Bake' I'm feeling some baps/rolls.

One thing that puts me off is the having to leave the bread to rise on a baking tray in a bag. Can anyone explain what this really means? I think I might have done this before and used a clear recycling bag.. Is it literally finding a clean bag that's big enough?

Man of Honour
Anyone got any tips on how to make a sour dough starter? I've tried several times, although they work the taste isn't great. Am I just in a bad yeast area, or am I doing something wrong.

Associate
Factor in the moisture in the apples and the fat in the cheese too.

What recipe did you use? Also, maybe press the apples a bit and use a lower fat cheddar.

It was from Paul Hollywood's How to Bake. It's the first thng i've baked in 2 years so slighty out of practice.

In the book it says 2 dessert apples peeled and sliced. I used 1 giant cooking apple as it never occured to me a dessert apple was just an apple. I don't know if that would affect it that drastically? When I googled the reicpe I found another Paul Hollywood version http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...and-apple-bread-recipe-by-Paul-Hollywood.html differs slightly to the one in the book, the amounts and the apples are grated..

My one did seem very full, fit to burst.
Book version:
500G strong white bread flour
10g salt
10g yeast
300ml water
150G of cheddar grated
2 dessert apples.

Any idea? :)

Associate
Ready to laugh at me?

I don't use our oven often. I made some barn cakes the day after the cheddar and apple bread. My girlfriend comes in and informs me that I have the oven on the top half setting only.

So yeah i've been stupid :p.
Good news is I know the problem and from now on stuff should be great!

Soldato
One thing that puts me off is the having to leave the bread to rise on a baking tray in a bag. Can anyone explain what this really means? I think I might have done this before and used a clear recycling bag.. Is it literally finding a clean bag that's big enough?

Isn't this just to keep them from drying out and forming a skin? When I leave mine to rise on the tray, I just cover them with a very lightly oiled piece of cling film, but I might try the bag thing.

Man of Honour
For my home made pizza recently I've been sticking the dough in the fridge for a few days before use (as suggested to me by...someone :p in the show off your dish thread). It's amazing the improvement in flavour and texture. I really recommend people try it out. Three days seems to be a nice number for it.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Needed to bake some bread but my oven is on the blink (waiting for new thermostat) so, what's a man to do? Make it on the BBQ of course. I've been meaning to try it for a while so this was the perfect opportunity to try it out. Turned out pretty good.

2eO1iiE.jpg

Nice crunchy crust and a soft crumb. Could probably have done with a little longer proving but baked perfectly on the BBQ. Successful experiment.

uv

uv

Soldato
Stollen for breakfast!

IMG_20140827_072700.jpg

Needs a little tweaking, but I'll definitely make it again.

I'd take a picture of it after shaking the excess sugar off, but it's all gone now.

Caporegime
Anyone got any tips on how to make a sour dough starter? I've tried several times, although they work the taste isn't great. Am I just in a bad yeast area, or am I doing something wrong.

I could never get one started either not as it should happen anyway..

the yeast never seemed to win out over the bacteria that make lactic acid or whatever it is.

you can buy starters though
https://hobbshousebakery.co.uk/shop/bakery/sourdough-starter/

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Had a bit of a play around with flour mixtures and came up with this:

AEIOr6l.jpg

200g Strong white
200g Strong wholemeal
200g Rye flour
350g Water
1 Heaped teaspoon dried yeast
1 Heaped teaspoon salt
2 tbsp sunflower oil

5 minutes in the mixer with dough hook and 5 mins hand kneading (this is how I do most of my bread - seems to work well).
Slow prove in fridge overnight.
Knock back and bung in oiled 3lb loaf tin for second proving took about 3 hours in my living room).
40 minutes at 200C.

Turned out very well. Nice soft, moist crumb and a good crispy crust. Lovely wholesome flavour. Very pleased with the combination and will be keeping a note of the ratios for future.

Back
Top Bottom