Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Associate
I'm trying desperately to make a gluten free loaf. The 5 or 6 attempts so far have come out quite "cakey"and don't look anything like bread! I've followed a few recipes with no success.
I'm using Dove Farm Gluten Free flour by the way.

So, any decent recipes and tips?

Soldato
I'm trying desperately to make a gluten free loaf. The 5 or 6 attempts so far have come out quite "cakey"and don't look anything like bread! I've followed a few recipes with no success.
I'm using Dove Farm Gluten Free flour by the way.

So, any decent recipes and tips?

Gluton free flour will never make a traditional loaf so don't try, only advice I can give you is to either mix it 50/50 with normal flour or use a rye flour recipe.

When mixing it should be the consistency of putty (mix like you would cement its easier) but a little dryer.

I was a baker for 15 years and have always hated gluton free!!

Associate
Gluton free flour will never make a traditional loaf so don't try, only advice I can give you is to either mix it 50/50 with normal flour or use a rye flour recipe.

When mixing it should be the consistency of putty (mix like you would cement its easier) but a little dryer.

I was a baker for 15 years and have always hated gluton free!!

Ok, so I'm not doing anything drastically wrong then. I'll try a few Rye flour recipes and see what happens.

What are supermarkets putting in their "gluten free" bread then? It looks like a normal loaf, but is double the price?

Soldato
Basically they are adding huge amounts of additives to make the bread softer.

Is there a special reason for the gluten free? In my experience your better off sticking to rye and pumpernickle breads, heavy and rich full of flavour.

Normal gluten free flour tends to end up dry and flavourless.

Associate
I'm in the process of making my first loaf. I had to nip out to get some pain killers but ended up buying some wholemeal flour and yeast.

It's in the kitchen at the moment, resting before I put it in the oven. I'll be honest, I have no idea if I kneaded the dough correctly but what the hell :p

Associate
This isn't really the type of bread that you see in this thread but here is my super quick bread:

2015-01-21%2015.58.10.jpg

I tried cutting it but as it was still warm and really soft it didn't work out so had the other one without cutting:
2015-01-21%2016.13.23.jpg

It is super easy and you can pretty much change the flavour how you like it.
This was about 4dl of oats, 2dl of flour, 2tsp of baking powder, some oil, salt, honey and milk and then grated cheese and herbs for flavour.
It is good for when you want something really fast and easy but want it to be really tasty too.

Associate
If it's not in the oven yet you could make some white flour dough and mix them up...

Or alternatively don't worry about how dense it is. Toast it and slather it with butter. Nom :)

I've just tried some and it's not too bad for my first go, in fact I'm reasonably happy with it. I'll try the 50/50 mix next time and see how it goes :)

Man of Honour
This isn't really the type of bread that you see in this thread but here is my super quick bread:

2015-01-21%2015.58.10.jpg

I tried cutting it but as it was still warm and really soft it didn't work out so had the other one without cutting:
2015-01-21%2016.13.23.jpg

It is super easy and you can pretty much change the flavour how you like it.
This was about 4dl of oats, 2dl of flour, 2tsp of baking powder, some oil, salt, honey and milk and then grated cheese and herbs for flavour.
It is good for when you want something really fast and easy but want it to be really tasty too.

Looks interesting. I keep meaning to get round to trying bread-like products that are primarily made of oats.

I've just tried some and it's not too bad for my first go, in fact I'm reasonably happy with it. I'll try the 50/50 mix next time and see how it goes :)

Glad it turned out well. Any pics? :)

Associate
Looks interesting. I keep meaning to get round to trying bread-like products that are primarily made of oats.

I absolutely love it! It is my "whatever is in the cupboard" bread :D The only 3 things it always has in it is the baking powder, oats and flour.
Usually I use equal amount of both but today I accidentally put too much milk in and had no more flour. It was better in my opinion with more oats in so shall carry on adding more of them. It is a bit of a gamble as I don't ever measure when making these.
I also add in things like grated carrot, cheese, herbs etc depending on how I feel, today I used the leftover mozzarella and blend of herbs, sometimes I just use oregano and sometimes nothing extra, just nice amount of butter on top. You can also change flour to different ones depending what you got, I think I will get some wholemeal flour next!
edit/ was meant to say you should try it, takes no time and isnt too much of a waste if you dont like them.

Man of Honour
I absolutely love it! It is my "whatever is in the cupboard" bread :D The only 3 things it always has in it is the baking powder, oats and flour.
Usually I use equal amount of both but today I accidentally put too much milk in and had no more flour. It was better in my opinion with more oats in so shall carry on adding more of them. It is a bit of a gamble as I don't ever measure when making these.
I also add in things like grated carrot, cheese, herbs etc depending on how I feel, today I used the leftover mozzarella and blend of herbs, sometimes I just use oregano and sometimes nothing extra, just nice amount of butter on top. You can also change flour to different ones depending what you got, I think I will get some wholemeal flour next!
edit/ was meant to say you should try it, takes no time and isnt too much of a waste if you dont like them.

They do sound very easy and versatile. Definitely will get round to trying them. I actually have tons of oats at the moment due to my only semi-successful flapjack recipes.

Soldato
Soak the oats in milk/water for a softer lighter texture. Any bread made with bicarb will need a dairy activator such as milk, natural yogurt, or buttermilk.

Good effort on the mixed flavours glad some one is still trying something different!

Associate
^ I did use milk :) left it for about 15 mins standing whilst doing dishes and waiting the oven to heat up. They were super soft inside too, couldnt cut them half as it just broke but they were nice size to eat without cutting anyways!
I have made them before with yogurt and also water. Prefer milk as it gives best taste :)

uv

uv

Soldato
made a few breads recently, but the best of the bunch was a version of Paul Hollywood's breakfast roll, with passatta, bacon, mushroom and sausage:

CRdGbbBl.jpg

nom!

Soldato
made a few breads recently, but the best of the bunch was a version of Paul Hollywood's breakfast roll, with passatta, bacon, mushroom and sausage:
Good job! I haven't baked bread for a while, but seeing those, I might just do so this weekend. I've made them before, and they were certainly very tasty!

Back
Top Bottom