Cooking with Jonny69: baking bread.

Soldato
not really much activity after day 4 and even feeding it twice a day hasn't done much;
you are transplanting 3-4tbs(100g) of it and adding it to a new 75gflour/100g water mix ? rather than just adding flour/water to existing container ?
that's how I refresh/grow it
... if you add a relatively small % of flour/water to existing container it maybe constrained by waste/acid products of earlier feed.

Soldato
once it's going, I have fed it exclusively with white flour
... with the theory that introducing (less refined) rye could put other competing yeast strains into the mix

Soldato
looks fairly stodgy mines like syrup in terms of viscosity ... don't know if that enables yeast to ditribute itself more evenly - yours is at room temp ?
rye (because it stoneground ?) always absorbs more water, when I make bread with it, versus white.

I just cling the containers mine in, as opposed to a kilner type air-tight seal, the cling doesn't bulge but I thought it is giving off co2 so I don't know why

earlier picture i posted ... refreshed white mother , after 12hrs at room temp, with wholemeal child (6tbsp mother+80flour/120water) ready for bread making

26164187278_d53ff9a73e_b_d.jpg

Soldato
I found storing my starter in a much larger jar helped, more air to breath?

I find very strong white bread flour gave the best results and always use the same flour and brand every time you feed. Feed equal amounts of flour and water.
I also found mixing flours resulted in a knock back of the starter.

I kept my starter going for a year or so in the fridge and feeding weekly but now use a much simpler method and get excellent results.

As I only bake bread once or twice a fortnight now I found the starter to much hassle to keep alive, However I have recently found a new method for the starter which is working out wonderfully.

I'm using the same starter I started a year ago but instead of feeding it daily with fresh flour and water and keeping 150-200g in a jar as someone baking regularly would, the new method is much easier for me.

I used all but about 10g of starter from my jar then put that 10g into the fridge. When I'm going to bake bread I take the starter from the fridge in the morning and add 30g of flour and 30g of water. At about midday I add another 30g of flour and water, then by the evening it's doubled in size and I make my bread leaving just 10g of starter in the jar which goes straight back in the fridge ready for next time. The bread is proved over night and ready to bake the next morning.

No need for feeding daily or weekly if you keep it in the fridge.
I didn't think the starter would work well with such a small amount but the flavour and rise is great. I've also left it in the fridge for 3 weeks untouched and it always comes back to life.

Soldato
It's been in a massive Kilner jar until Monday this week. Fed it last night and it's shot up, so I think we're OK. I'm gonna take rye out and just go with plain for a bit.

Soldato
"It's alive" ;) should be good.

guess it overflowed after you took the lid off

https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/yeast-cells-can-carry-out-both-fermentation-336231
Where oxygen is present, the yeast can concentrate on growing and maintaining its cells, and thus produce little waste (alcohol and carbon dioxide). This process is faster and more efficient.

Without oxygen, the yeast uses its nutrition to produce more waste, allowing less cellular growth. This process is slower and much more inefficient for the yeast itself but is useful for rising bread and fermenting alcohol.

In an aerobic situation, the yeast can replicate itself quickly, which is useful for manufacturing, although care must be taken to limit the amounts of sugar or other nutrition so as not to contaminate the yeast with alcohol. In an anaerobic situation, the yeast affects other compounds, which is more useful for cooking.
... so to asphyxiate it, or not, that is the question ?

Soldato
So, first effort. Letting it cool for a few hours before cutting, but pretty happy to be honest! Dough was incredibly wet though, shaping was a bit of a nightmare

GUpBoWlr.jpg

Soldato
I'm not sure I want to bother!
depends what role bread has in your diet .. if it's daily sandwiches/toast ... ,
then improving the quality taste/nutrition of that dietary element is significant, I would say going sourdough vs dried yeast is like drinking filter coffee as opposed to instant
and making the time investment in sourdough becomes worthwhile, tending it, and making bread regularly.
I do make most of my sourdough in a bread machine, though.

Soldato
Umm, was just baguettes, so just the basic 2% salt, 2% yeast and about 75% hydration, I may of added 1% sprint/improver. I generally prove them overnight in a couche, then peel them over to a tray just before cooking.

For full disclosure I should add that I work in a French patisserie, so 2 of the guys there have the very best of training, therefore I've had great teachers / advice. (You can catch them on this years Bakeoff Creme de la creme on BBC2, it's Laurian and Thibault from the Pink team.

noticed your mates are back on Bake-off this evening , to accolades .... no recent pictures of bread, to shame us ?

Commissario
Nobody in here cares about home made bread any more?

I'm generally baking a loaf a day now and we haven't bought bread for over two months. Here's my latest loaf which I think is my best so far. I'm very pleased with it.

3ERwdV7.jpeg

Soldato
yes looks better did you change oven temperature (what was it/how long), white, mixed-race ... need a texture shot.

Back
Top Bottom