Coolamasta's new home NAS & rack build :-)

I like that a lot, its very clean. the paints turned out well, also it will draw peoples attention to it when they come in to the room and all they will be thinking is. "ohhhh what is this big black box of computer mumbo jumbo, i must take a look"

Amazing!!! What you doing with the old rack then dude? Can you list what each item or a model?

I'm temoted to throw something togther. Need too house

Dell Power Connect 2724I
Raspberry Pi X2 (1 webserver, 1 firewall)
AP for home wifi
AP in CLIENT as back up if BB drops (will personal hotspot to my phone)
AP's links to customers (got a few i supply wifi too)
2 open reach modems for fiber
1 switch for the above modems
Draytek router
12TB NAS
WD my world book

I llike the space between each layer which is what i would do.

Amazing!!! What you doing with the old rack then dude? Can you list what each item or a model?

Dell Power Connect 2724I
AP for home wifi
Draytek router
12TB NAS
WD my world book

Go for it!

/Waits to sub/

amazing build mate, looks damn good did you use a roller or spray paint it?

also what are these brackets called?

nas20.jpg

I would say its one very neat and compact server rack! Everything but BIG! Great job. Really neat and tidy solution for all your network gear!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments :D

Lovely build and looks pro! Do you have a model number for the 4U rack mount case? Not sure if its supplied through OC so a model will be fine :)

Cheers

Thanks mate, cases are made by Codegen, mine are 450mm deep but you can get them in 500mm and 600mm plenty about if you get your Google on ;)

Dell Power Connect 2724I
AP for home wifi
Draytek router
12TB NAS
WD my world book

Thanks mate, the 12u rack is now for sale, need to put the front door back on, take some pics and get it up for sale! Nice spec list you have there, will be looking forward to a build thread on that!

And yes when I do all the server installs in work I always like to leave a U spare between equipment if I can to help air flow and stop heat build ups :)

amazing build mate, looks damn good did you use a roller or spray paint it?

also what are these brackets called?

Thanks bud, I roller'd it on with a small roller hence the texture but painting with a brush just didn't look very nice so I have to live with the texture lol, also brackets are from here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-8U-1...Rackmount_Cabinets_Frames&hash=item3cc00d6bf7

I would say its one very neat and compact server rack! Everything but BIG! Great job. Really neat and tidy solution for all your network gear!

Cheers bud, even though its quite deep I would agree its pretty compact and fits on top my other home made unit pretty well :)

Last edited:
Few new pics from tonight, now added a 2-port Belkin USB/VGA KVM so I can get on the server console's if there are problems, now have cage nuts for the servers and sorted out the filters so all looking a bit better, the Microserver for baking up is now living else ware hidden away :)

nas49.jpg

nas50.jpg

nas51.jpg

nas52.jpg

nas53.jpg

Can you list what each item in your rack is please? :)

Its a simple set up,

LEFT SIDE

Virgin "SuperHub" (which is NOT super!) set in Modem only mode
APC Power Switch (turns power on/off to 8 outputs via a web page GUI)
Draytek Vigor 2955 Router (awesome VPN capabilities)
Dlink managed 16-port Gigabit Switch with dual SPF uplinks

RIGHT SIDE

VMware ESXi 5.1 server, i5 CPU, 16GB RAM running 6 VM's
14TB NAS (10TB usable space) i3 CPU, 16GB RAM dual NIC

Soon I will be starting to learn Cisco IOS so will be swapping out things with various Cisco routers and switches :)

Looks great, if you want a real black paint ask at the B&Q paint desk for them to mix you some referee black paint, they will look for it in their system and mix it for you .....all the black paint work in B&Q stores is referee black.

Back
Top Bottom