Coolamasta's new home NAS & rack build :-)

One word. Incredible.

Great build!

Cheers bud much appreciated :)

Its a APC Back-UPS Pro 900 UPS

Looks great, if you want a real black paint ask at the B&Q paint desk for them to mix you some referee black paint, they will look for it in their system and mix it for you .....all the black paint work in B&Q stores is referee black.

Ah right, thanks for the tip mate as although its supposed to be jet black it looks more like Charcoal! I plan to paint the side of the unit its sat on etc so might get some made up to do that and go over the box again, cheers :D

Very nice!

Thanking you :)

Nice change but I bet it was a costly one!

The 3TB Red HDD's and Raid card are what killed my wallet but its runs like a dream so cant moan too much :)

Awesome build! :D I've been contemplating building my own server as I have the same problem with Plex transcoding video to my iPad and other devices whilst using the HP Microserver.

How loud is the build in comparison to the Microserver as a rough benchmark? I would want to go as silent as possible?

Like the APC switch, wish there was a way to plug in the superhub and my router wish use those brick adapters, keeps it all neat and tidy then.

I'll probably bug you with some more questions once I come up with a spec for mine.

Thanks!

Couple of Updates if anyone is interested :)

Here is my new VMware host, its now been moved out the massive 4U rack mount case into a 2U instead, the spec has changed a bit to the below and the IvyBridge i5 CPU I have managed to under-volt and maintain stability for the lowest power consumption I can, spec is below:

• 2U custom rack mount case from servercase.co.uk
  • MSI H77MA-G43 s1155 Motherboard
  • Intel i5 3570k Ivybride CPU under-volted
  • 16GB GeIL Black Dragon DDR3 RAM (2 x 8gb) @ stock 1600mhz
  • 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM (2 x 4gb) @ stock 1600mhz
  • Icybox Trayless 3-bay Dual channel SAS harddrive enclosure
  • 1 x OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD
  • 1 x Samsung 840 250gb SSD
  • 1 x 300GB 10k RPM WD Raptor Hard drive
  • 1 x 500GB WD Black Hard drive
  • Intel 4 port Pro1000 server NIC adapter
  • Antec Greenpower 350w '80 Plus Bronze' PSU

nas63.jpg

nas64.jpg

nas58.jpg

nas65.jpg

nas66.jpg

nas67.jpg

nas68.jpg

nas69.jpg

nas70.jpg

nas72.jpg

nas71.jpg

My home NAS has had a few upgrades recently, I took the 4u rack case I had originally (see early thread pics) I removed the front locking door and then cut a hole in the left side to match the right side and made some brackets up to hold another drive cage so I could get 6 x 5.25" drives in the front panel as opposed to the standard 3.

The front was a bit scratched up and I was just going to re-paint it but I found some spare carbon fibre effect vinyl wrap kicking about so thought I would give it a try and if I didn't like it I could always rip it off and paint it but I think it came out OK :)
Its now packing 24TB (8x3TB) but 1 is set as a hot spare and the are configured in Raid 5 which gives me total usable space of 16.2TB with speeds varying between 400-600MB/s read and write :D

I decided to re-build it after running out of storage space (had 5 x 3TB Red's in there before) so I have added some more 3TB Red's and replaced the LSI 9260i Raid controller with a Dell Perc H700, the new spec is:

• Customised 4U Rack mount case
  • Asus P8H77-M Pro s1155 Motherboard
  • Intel i3 2120 CPU @ stock 3.3ghz with stock cooler
  • 16GB Kingston Hyper DDR3 RAM (4 x 4gb) @ stock 1600mhz
  • Seasonic G series 360w '80 Plus Gold' PSU
  • Dell Perc H700 8-port Raid controller with 512mb Cache & BBU
  • 8 x Western Digital 3TB "Red" (Raid Edition) Hard drives
  • Icy Box Tray less 5 Bay HDD enclosure
  • Icy Box Tray less 3 Bay HDD enclosure
  • Crucial M4 60GB SSD for OS & Plex DB
  • LG combined BluRay & DVD-Ram drive
  • Intel Pro Dual 1000 PT PCIe Server NIC in 2GB Teamed mode (802.11ad)

nas73.jpg

nas74.jpg

nas75.jpg

nas76.jpg

nas62.jpg

nas77.jpg

nas78.jpg

Thanks guys :)

Kidge - No not got any Cisco kit at home, I have plenty in work to play with though plus my home kit is all about energy saving, I have even ditched the Draytek router and currently using a PFsense virtual firewall/router appliance!

I created a a PFsense VM and applied 3 virtual NICs to it, one is directly linked to a port on the 4-port NIC designated to the Cable modem for the 'dirty' connection and then the second virtual NIC is on the internal network and the 3rd NIC is for a DMZ which I've not started using yet :)

It all works awesomely with no more lag/latency than the Draytek which is what I was worried about, VMware is just awesome! :)

Whats the noise like? I am also running a micro server but have thought about going down this route, however, no where to put it really.

Back
Top Bottom