Coolant pipe blown off?

Soldato
My mechanic uses a machine when he changes coolant on these engines. The machine creates a vacuum in the system before filling so that when its filled there is no risk of airlock etc.
You need to be ULTRA careful with the coolant system on these cars, cant afford them to get too hot :)

Soldato
OP
Update guys -

We went out again tonight and the following -

Temperature gauge went funny so we pulled into a nearby carpark. Coolant tank was empty and pressure was getting past the jubilee clip on the thermostat housing (a vast amount of air coming out).

Waited for her to cool down and filled it up again (at least two litres of water went in)... started it up with the cap off and the water started to expand out of the expansion tank.

A friend and I are positive its head gasket but the owner doesn't think so.

Opinions please? :)

Suspended
-Mike- said:
220engine.jpg

That purple circled pipe is the one that exploded on Simon's old 220 GSi turbo about 3 years ago while we were ragging around.

One second he was right behind me in my rear mirror, the next he was at the kerb 50 metres back surrounded by a cloud of steam. :D

Caporegime
Guybrush said:
That purple circled pipe is the one that exploded on Simon's old 220 GSi turbo about 3 years ago while we were ragging around.

One second he was right behind me in my rear mirror, the next he was at the kerb 50 metres back surrounded by a cloud of steam. :D

Ah the good old days of hammering about :D

Does sound like the Head has warped due to it overheating. These cars self-bleed and it's very unlikely to be an airlock

Soldato
OP
Thanks for clarification on the bleeding etc simon :) The guy who came to replace the turbo coolant hose said we'd have to bleed it by taking the small return pipe off the thermostat housing and waiting for water to emerge. (maybe he knew nothing lol!)

Will get him to check his bores and plugs for water as you said :) Cheers again.

Caporegime
-Mike- said:
Thanks for clarification on the bleeding etc simon :) The guy who came to replace the turbo coolant hose said we'd have to bleed it by taking the small return pipe off the thermostat housing and waiting for water to emerge. (maybe he knew nothing lol!)

Will get him to check his bores and plugs for water as you said :) Cheers again.

That pipe feeds into the header tank anyway. So pointless taking it off.
Just need to make sure heater is on full

Back
Top Bottom