1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling advice heatsync

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by witherford, Sep 6, 2019.

1. witherford

Associate

Hi all,

I am not a hardware expert so thought i would drop a thread on this forum looking for some advice.

The liquid cooling system on my PC has died today and i will be looking at replacing it.

I want to replace it with a heatsync and fan(s) if possible, please can someone advise an appropriate replacement?

My setup is below:
    • Mother board is an Asus X99 USB 3.1 Pro
    • Processor: I7 5820k 6 Core LGA 2011
    • Liquid cooling system i am looking to replace is a XSPC open loop system which is now easily over 4 years old (which is why i think it has died)
    • 32GB DDR4 RAM
    • Geforce GTX 980 Ti graphics card
    • Couple of drives.
    • Plenty of fans in the case 6 in total
    Photos are here, hopefully you can see them:
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TWNKQzdyUWFEOGxiUkpPTWxDalpXWkZfb2Uwb3lB

Uses:
    I mainly use it for running multiple virtual machines doing moderate to high intensive tasks so do need decent cooling.

Luckily my processor is not fried and boots up to windows but then i have to shut it down as core temp shows 60's and 70's for the temps.

Since the cooling system has died the PC has only been booted up twice and has been on for no more than a minute at a time.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  2. witherford

Associate

For anyone who may view this in the future i ended up going with the Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 135 mm Silent Wings Fan CPU Cooler. Pretty easy to install it comes with all kit, screwdriver, thermal paste etc

Temps on idle when not doing much are mid 20's to 30 (i do have a couple of other fans)

Here is an image of it installed and working away:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/M89qGymBsJNjDNTY9

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  3. an0nym0us

Hitman

FYI, better remove that competitor link before a mod sees it.

4. witherford

Associate

Which link? the empower or the amazon link?

Never knew this would be an issue, i will gladly remove which ever link it is.

5. an0nym0us

Hitman

All competitor links. It's one of the rules of these forums because they're run and paid for by OCUK.

6. an0nym0us

Hitman

Sorry, didn't realise your post count. Welcome to the forums by the way!

7. witherford

Associate

Thanks, i have removed the links.

8. doyll

Sgarrista

Asus X99 Pro/USB3.1 has about 78mm center CPU to near side of PCIe socket and 55mm center CPU to near side RAM socket.

Would help to know exactly what RAM you have and what case it is all in. Then we can tell you what will fit.