Copper pipe build

Associate
Looks pretty good, remember to coat it with varnish or it'll turn green pretty quickly.

The inside will also tarnish, so you may need a inline filter to catch biggers chunks of oxidized copper to prevent blockages.

I think it is worth the effort imo, looks on par with chrome tubes and those are a huge pain to work with.

Associate
OP
Yeah I polish with a rougher polish to remove the scratches from the pipe bender and then I use brasso to polish it to a mirror finish I then laquer and wait 24 hours before installing.

Yeah there is an inline filter at the top and also on the reservoir so I'll install a drain on the bottom for periodic maintaince.

A good corrosion inhibitor will hopefully stop the tarnish inside once its up and running and I seal the ports as I'm working through the system so it will slow the tarnish inside whilst it's dry

Associate
Nice good to see you got everything covered.

Unfortunately avoiding tarnish is going to be impossible, as it is almost impossible to avoid different metal mixing in different parts of your water block, pump, connector etc.

I've had copper blocks in the past with the best inhibitors, it will always start to tarnish noticeably after 1-2 years, in most cases however tarnish is going to be harmless and just looks pretty bad for a transparent block.

Soldato
not sure about this tarnishing. Does the copper pipe in your house tarnish on the inside and bits fall off and clog or does any goop in your heating come from the radiators which are steel? Copper isn't the sacrificial anode in a loop and the copper piping isn't the only copper in this loop.

Associate
The radiator is brass chambered copper

Other blocks are nickle plated copper.

I have an old ram block that has direct copper used to cool GPU ram, that block the copper has changed color completely (to reddish green) from copper color and has white fluff/dust around it.

The only reason I believe it is to do with copper is that inside radiator the brass is still very shiny, the nickel plates also pretty good and wipes clean, the copper plate is the only place where this is present, and the white fluff / dust does not come off easily, you have to really scrub it, the red/green tarnish does not come off at all unless you sand it.

Associate
OP
I will be aiming to keep everything on the loop copper if possible, I'm not going to be having nickle or steel as it doesn't go with the look of the build.

On a seperate note I'm after a really good set of 120mm fans for this build either really nice looking RGB fans or just generic ones can anyone recommend the best? Silence is a must at low level but I don't mind it ramping up once the temperatures rise they will all be controlled by an aquaero 6 lt hidden behind the motherboard

Associate
If you want to have the quietest fan I would recommend TT ToughFan

https://uk.thermaltake.com/toughfan-12-high-static-pressure-fan-single-pack.html

It is basically a clone of the noctua but black and slightly cheaper, so it looks a bit better and at lower price.

For RGB Corsair LL120, imo has the best RGB effects, the effects extends to the fan blades as well so looks the best, however it is only silent when you run it at low RPM, so you would need a lot of radiators to compensate (at least 4 x 120) if you want it to run at a silent RPM)

Associate
OP
Ahhh brill cheers mate I have 9x120mm fans, 3 are hidden in the back they are just going to be noctuas/tough fans and the 6 in the top/bottom I think will be the corsair LL120 they look really good

Back
Top Bottom