Copy to USB stick stopping and starting

Associate
I have been trying to copy some files onto a 128GB USB3 drive and noticed that the process was taking a lot longer (5x) than it should. It seems that when I copy large files, they start at a reasonable speed then grind to a halt, speed up again and so on.

The copy progress bar shows the issue:

HBazBj8.png

I have tried a different computer, a different USB drive and copying different files from different places, yet I seem to get the same result whatever the combination. I've tried reformatting the USB drives (NTFS and exFAT) and it's still no better.

If I copy to a non-USB drive, all works as expected.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Yes, I believe it is. And the other stick I tried is a genuine 64GB one that I've had for years.

I have copied 80GB of data onto it, it just took an awfully long time due to the stop-start.

Associate
OP
I haven’t, but I still don’t understand why it would be the same on different PCs with different USB architectures.

I’ll see if I can find a driver...

Soldato
I haven’t, but I still don’t understand why it would be the same on different PCs with different USB architectures.

I’ll see if I can find a driver...

I read an in depth reply on stack exchange it's to do with fragmentation, caching and validation.

Soldato
The only way I get decent speeds with usb is copying between ssds and using usb 3 on a motherboard. Using a add in card or usb drives generally gives meh speeds.

Associate
As I understand it:

The actual main bulk memory in a cheap(ish) usb stick is often not really that fast at writing data.

In order to alleviate that, there is faster cache memory which can quickly accept data from the pc and hold it whilst the slower final write happens to the bulk memory, but that cache is smaller. This is fine for smaller files, as the cache can cope by having capacity for the smaller files. I.e. send a few jpegs / docs to the drive, cache memory acccepts it fine, and then commits it to the main memory at a slower rate in its own time. To the user, it looks like its been a fast write.

For larger files that exceed the cache, then speeds will drop over time as the cache cant empty into main memory as quickly as it can accept it into the cache ... so you get a backlog. This then builds up to the point the drive has to stop accepting data, clears out the cache to memory then starts back up again at a faster rate as teh cache is clear. Hence the yo-yo of speeds.

Thats one aspect ... another similar aspect can be the type of memory used in the main memory section of the drive. You now get multi-state memory cells. So instead of pure 1's and 0's per memory cell, you can get values of 0, 0.5 and 1 etc etc ... this means you can squeeze more data into a single cell of memory that you could before. In theory, a chunk of memory which normally held 1Gb of data as 1's and 0's could now be used to hold 2Gb by holding values of 0, 0.5, 1. Its far quicker to initially write into these cells with straight 1's and 0's, (like a cache) ... and afterwards the drive can, in its own time, time convert and compress the data into multi-state values, using a smaller overall amount of cells. But that takes time to do as its slower to write out multi-state values into cells.

Following that thought, in theory, a labelled "32Gb" USB stick, may actually be a 16Gb set of memory cells with 3 states per cell, so it can effectively hold 32Gb of data.

What would happen if you tried to write 24Gb of data to the drive ? It would accept data quickly as 1s and 0's, but then realise that this would fill beyond its 16Gb of space ... so it would have to start converting to the multi-state values at the same time as accepting data ... which in turn would begin to slow down the overall write speed and start the yo-yo effect again.

SSD's are generally better overall at handling this compared to a USB stick due to them having a larger capacity to accept data intially and probably faster more powerful chips inside them to handle and conversion to multi-state values. You often do see though that an SSD might have an initially crazy high write speed which then after a periodof time slows down to a more steady value.

Back
Top Bottom