• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core i9-7920X

Soldato
Unfortunately not, however given the lower starting speed (2.9Ghz) compared to the 7900X (3.3Ghz), I don't have hopes for high clocking that CPU.
Also on all SkylakeX you must invest to 4000mhz+ ram, because it improves performance a lot compared to 2666 ram. (40% in some cases).

As for performance, if it can clock higher than 4.4Ghz might be able to compete with the 1950X @ 4Ghz with 3600mhz ram. if not, it's performance would be comparable to the far cheaper 1920X.

What you want to do with it is the main question.
Gaming? You will be better off getting a 8700K by miles.
And if you need for productivity, build a second machine with a Ryzen 1700.

I was on similar boat like you. So decided to keep the 6800K for productivity to leave it doing it's job, and build a 8700K for everything else (incl gaming).

It would cost me less than building a system using 1950X or 7900X, and sacrifice few cores doing the productivity work on the background. Maybe if I can sell the 6800K at a good price, get a Ryzen 1700 as second machine.
(need to find a case fitting 1 mitx and 1 ATX board for dual loop WC)

4Ghz memory with 128gb density is beyond most IMC

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

i just got it and it gets a 2560 on cinebench at 4,43ghz.i did have a problem with temps on some of the cores going as high as 88 degrees. but after a delidding and naked die install im running 5 ghz and maxing out at 79 degrees. had to upgrade my mobo tho as the power consumption of the damg thing is at 210 W....

I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe you're stable at 5ghz with 128gb ram and only pulling 210w.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
What I am wondering is if the temps will be lower once delided due to the (HCC) larger die size, so in theory it has more surface area cool.

Associate
What I am wondering is if the temps will be lower once delided due to the (HCC) larger die size, so in theory it has more surface area cool.
as on all non soldered cpu's delidding will lower your cpu temps, nomatter how large the die size is you wont manage to cool it properly with a bad thermal compound.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Still no reviews up of the 7920X. Have Intel not sent out any for review? Since when has the fastest desktop processor Intel sell not been released to great fanfare and publicity?

What are Intel afraid of?*

*Theoretical question - we all know it's Threadripper ;)

Associate
Given how the 7900X gives the 1950X a run for its money even in multithreaded workloads, they probably aren't. If they were, they'd price them more competitively.

Soldato
It will all come out in the wash. Comedy pricing, although I do believe people will bizarrely fork out the money for extreme chips that they will never actually utilize beyond gaming.

Still, I love tech... Let's see what they can do.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Still no reviews and I'm not even seeing any appear on benchmark league tables. Looks like no one is buying them.

Back
Top Bottom