corroded alloys :(

Man of Honour
so i seem to have developed some corroded alloys around the hub caps (probably damaged by the tyre fitters...grumble grumble) just wondering how these can be remedied.

do i need to do a full diamond cut?

if i decide to "just" powder coat the wheels, will there be any long-term structural issues that may develop?

My 2007 Focus Ghia had the wheels refurbished as they were diamond cut. In about 90k miles (no kerbing) the 'white worm' had taken over as water had got under the lacquer.

Definitely get the whole wheel painted by a proper wheel refurbisher. They difference will be amazing if your ones look scruffy. Don't bother with getting them diamond cut again as the problem always comes back in time.

My old thread (no after pictures but the before ones are there):
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/can-i-diy-these-wheels.18429685/#post-22516933

@OpenToSuggestions ah yeah, mine look like that, but much less corroded. i want to nip it in the bud.
did you get yours diamond cut? or painted/powder coated?
The main faces of the wheels were originally diamond cut, with the sides of the spokes painted silver.
I had the wheels painted in the same silver all over so it looked OEM. I had the centre caps painted too but at the time the business owner said it didn't take too well as they were plastic. Ford wanted £20 each for new ones which in my view was way over the top.

Take note that some blithering idiot that was little more than a tea boy used an air gun to put the wheel nuts on which caused damage when I took them off. Watch them refit the wheels like a hawk and ensure they use a torque wrench.

Man of Honour
OP
ah. i wonder if it would be worth recutting the rims first, if only just to nip the corrosion in the bud.
how does it actually work...i've tried to use my google-fu but not being very successful

if diamond cut - i presume they remove the lacquer and then grind down the rim to remove any kerbing and corrosion, before re-lacquering?
if powder coat - do they still remove the lacquer and grind the corrosion down before powder coating and lacquering the rim?

Man of Honour
OP
Powder coat wise, they acid dip them afaik, perform any repairs and sand flat, then paint and bake.
ah that makes more sense. acid dipping to remove the lacquer and corrosion...then powder coat and lacquer.
i guess also has the benefit of not weakening the structural integrity of the rim.

(i do fancy a set of black rims...lol)

you live relatively nearby...which shop did you use and would you recommend them?

Man of Honour
OP
Definitely go to a proper place though not one of these mobile vans. They can't possibly acid dip and have a baking oven in the back of a Transit.
ah yes indeed. i'll be looking to leave my car there for them to sort the wheels out. no way i'm gonna take a punt on a mobile van lol

Soldato
City powder coaters.
Birmingham

£40 a wheel afaik if you want same day and plan to leave the car.

They strip, acid dip, shot blast and then powder coat.

Man of Honour
I had a set done by City Wheel Refurbishment (City Powder Coaters) a couple of weeks ago. 14" 205 GTI wheels which usually have a diamond cut centre, which I didn't bother with as they always corrode eventually.

The finish isn't perfect but is definitely passable - a couple of the bigger nicks/gouges are still there and there's the odd speck of dirt here and there. For £20 a wheel though, I am very pleased with the results. The wheels look immeasurably better than when I took then in.

Man of Honour
Before:

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

After:

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

Soldato
Thanks guys will have a look and report back.

Might also take the chance to change my hub caps to the floating BMW ones...lol

They are by no means perfect. But the findings is decent and durable.

I like them because if you take alloys bare within 7days you get a fully coated set for £80.

That's the price you pay for a single perfect refurbishment normally!

Man of Honour

I like them because if you take alloys bare within 7days you get a fully coated set for £80.

Exactly, I dropped mine off on a Tuesday and had them back the following Monday.

You can see in my pics that wheel 1 is spot on, wheel 2 has a small speck on the rim, wheel 3 has a little bit of a fish eye effect here and there, and wheel 4 has a couple of nicks out of it - they don't claim to repair damage like this on the £20 deal though.

Looking at the state of them when I took them in I was very happy with the price I paid. That's "Flat Silver", they do some other colours on the standard £20 deal too.

Man of Honour
OP

Exactly, I dropped mine off on a Tuesday and had them back the following Monday.

You can see in my pics that wheel 1 is spot on, wheel 2 has a small speck on the rim, wheel 3 has a little bit of a fish eye effect here and there, and wheel 4 has a couple of nicks out of it - they don't claim to repair damage like this on the £20 deal though.

Looking at the state of them when I took them in I was very happy with the price I paid. That's "Flat Silver", they do some other colours on the standard £20 deal too.

I was (am) gonna get a matte black finish.
Certainly can't look any worse than the white worming already developing near the hub caps... :(

Man of Honour
OP
Ok so I got it booked in for a week on Monday. Quoting £220 for 4x 19inch rims for a powder coat. Including removal and refitting from the car.
So £55 per rim...seems reasonable. Including same day pickup
Other places quoting me £250+ and 2-3 day turnaround.

Soldato
Ok so I got it booked in for a week on Monday. Quoting £220 for 4x 19inch rims for a powder coat. Including removal and refitting from the car.
So £55 per rim...seems reasonable. Including same day pickup
Other places quoting me £250+ and 2-3 day turnaround.
Where?

Back
Top Bottom