Corsair AX860 PSU Dead

Soldato
Read this >> http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11032&page=2
Travis said:
Connector melted because the current exceeds the connector's limit. If this happens on the video card side, it's caused by either too much current drawn by the video card (usually overclocked), or bad contact on some of the pins. The +12V terminal with the highest contact resistance will burn first, then the remaining terminals burn because too high current flow through each of them.

As for the case with AX860 and HD7990, the modular connector was fried, because the 8pin Molex Mini-fit Jr shouldn't carry so much load current. One 8pin PCIe aux connector allows 12A load (according to PCI-express specs), so two 6+2pin means a maximum load of 24A, all of which is carried by 3 +12V pins in that 8pin modular connector. So the maximum average current on a pin is 8A, which is unsafe for a Mini-fit Jr connector. By simple calculation you can see how stupid it is to provide two 6+2pin aux power connectors from a single 8pin modular connector. You can blame it on Seasonic, but Corsair is also responsible for this design flaw.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that Nelly.

I thought that might be the cause. I simply assumed the provided cable would be sufficient. Corsair should never have provided cables with 2 connectors with graphics cards like the 7990 on the market.

Will let you know how the RMA goes.

Jim :)

Soldato
cypto said:
Said it before in another thread, but head over to the OC3D forums with a blind fold and look for the corsair customer service section. Guy by the name of Grey_beard (from corsair) handles everything there and generally sorts out shipping labels for anyone that asks.

Got an M90 mouse with a faulty scroll wheel sent to them, they in return sent back a brand new M95 mouse. Didn't pay a penny on postage and UPS even came to the door to collect it.

Again I would love to see a vendor support section on the forums for RMA's and such.
That's kinda awesome, not many manufacturers will do that, infact I didn't know Corsair started doing this, brilliant.
JimboTheGiant said:
Thanks for that Nelly.

I thought that might be the cause. I simply assumed the provided cable would be sufficient. Corsair should never have provided cables with 2 connectors with graphics cards like the 7990 on the market.

Will let you know how the RMA goes.

Jim :)
I was going to get one of the EVGA Supernova P2 1000W, but due to crap live stock system where I placed the order, it was out of stock by time I was invoiced and payment taken over two hours later.

I'm looking at the Corsair AX860 myself, I've always used 2 separate cables for my graphics cards, but I didn't know this could happen using a single cable with two connectors until I came upon this thread, handy to know. :)

It woudn't put me off buying another Corsair, you know you are going to get good customer service, bare in mind it's Christmas holidays.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Until now I had no idea either. I've always had Corsair PSU's and never had a problem before. I have another AX860 powering a dual R9 280x rig but they draw a lot less power per card than the 7990!

Associate
Think it is just because of the high current draw on the split cables. Slight over sight on corsairs part really they should inform people that certain cards or cards with high overclocks should be used on the individual cables.

But having a AX860 in my soon to be built rig I will keep this in mind when hooking up my cards.

Back
Top Bottom