**CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 650D OWNERS THREAD** ALL QUESTIONS HERE.

Associate
I thought i would start an owners thread for this case as it saves all the questions being scattered across the forum, it keeps it nice and tidy this way and its easier to find answers to questions if they are all in one place.

Now that i have changed the front 200mm fan to a cooler master megaflow which has cured that noisy front fan issue th only noise i can here is from the top exhaust fan, i'll change that soon so if anyone can recommend a 200mm very quiet exhaust fan it would be appreciated.

One thing i'm going to do is to change the hard drive led to a different colour as ist the same colour as the power on button as they are both white, i presume its standard LED ?

Associate
Hi i am new to the forum and i wanted to build one but i am quite confuse getting HAF X or 650D. I've heard a lot of people complementing 650D. Which one of them have a better air flow and quieter case? Because i am going to get FX 6100 3.8Ghz, and AMD7850 , Asus Sabertooth 990FX, are all of these going to fit in 650D ?

Soldato
Think thats subjective as the 650D is a Midi Tower and the Haf X is a full tower case.

But yes the hardware you mention will fit either case.

Soldato
Not really its down to the size of case and personal choice. The airflow and noise are decent in both cases but if you look about in the threads there are some issues with the 650d and its front fan making a huming noise due to where it is and the fan grill.

Associate
OP
if you look about in the threads there are some issues with the 650d and its front fan making a huming noise due to where it is and the fan grill.

Ive just changed the front fan on my 650D today to the cooler master megaflow and the difference is unreal, i can barely hear anything at the front now, the only thing is i can now hear the top exhuast fan as the noise from the stock front fan was obviously hiding the sound of the top fan. The top fan is certainly not loud, its just not whisper quiet. I'll change that at some point.

One question i have, the cooler master 200mm megaflow fans are induction fans where they draw in air, could i reverse the fan to use it as an exhaust fan for the top ?

Associate
Ive just changed the front fan on my 650D today to the cooler master megaflow and the difference is unreal, i can barely hear anything at the front now....

same here...but for everybody who is interested in doing that it is worth mentioning that you have to move the drive cage as the coolermaster megaflow fan is 30mm thick/depth whereas the stockfan is 20mm. The current forward position of the drive cages will allow fans up 25mm depth to be mounted. Removing the bent "side-lip" of the cage will also not generate enough space for 30mm. Depending on the size of your PSU you might be not able to move the lower drive cage back (where you also loose a hot-swap bay for the lower drive as you can't pull it out) so you can end up with with some additional challenges depending on the PSU and amount of HD's

I can confirm that the coolermaster fan has also massively reduced the noise levels and cooling performance and I still have the front grill in place and haven't "dremeled it off" for better airflow or noise reduction.
I also replaced all other fans with be quiet fans (2x140mm for the top and 1x120mm for the back) and the case is almost silent when idle and has very low noise levels when gaming with the GPU being the main culprit here.

Associate
OP
One other thing thats worth mentioning for people that are planning on changing the front fan on the 650D, you have to take off the front panel, to do this their are clips on the inside. You take off both side panels then you will see 3 rows of clips on the inside, its one clip on each side that have to be pressed at the same time to loosen it off, their are 3 rows of these clips so 6 clips in total, just start from the top and work your way down, keep the pulling pressure on so that the clips you have just undone don't jump back into place.

NZXT, like you i was a bit concerned that i'd have to cut that mesh away on the inside after what some people had said, i didn't really want to do that on a brand new £140 case. Fortunatley these Cooler Master Megaflow fans seem to be excellent, very quiet with great air flow.

Last edited:
Associate
i use the Megaflows too. They are amazing, no problem at all with any noise from them.

I heard the bitfenix ones weird noisy compared to the megaflows but i havnt tested them personally

Soldato
I've had both and the spectre pro is significantly louder but moves significantly more air.

.. And the megaflow looks horrific :x

@ crimsonzerox: fx6100 is a failure.

Associate
OP
The hard drive monitor LED and the power button LED on the 650D, are these just standard type LED's or do you need to get the correct type as i wouldn't mind changing them to a different colour instead of just plain white.

Back
Top Bottom