**CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 650D OWNERS THREAD** ALL QUESTIONS HERE.

Associate
I thought i would start an owners thread for this case as it saves all the questions being scattered across the forum, it keeps it nice and tidy this way and its easier to find answers to questions if they are all in one place.

Now that i have changed the front 200mm fan to a cooler master megaflow which has cured that noisy front fan issue th only noise i can here is from the top exhaust fan, i'll change that soon so if anyone can recommend a 200mm very quiet exhaust fan it would be appreciated.

One thing i'm going to do is to change the hard drive led to a different colour as ist the same colour as the power on button as they are both white, i presume its standard LED ?

Associate
OP
if you look about in the threads there are some issues with the 650d and its front fan making a huming noise due to where it is and the fan grill.

Ive just changed the front fan on my 650D today to the cooler master megaflow and the difference is unreal, i can barely hear anything at the front now, the only thing is i can now hear the top exhuast fan as the noise from the stock front fan was obviously hiding the sound of the top fan. The top fan is certainly not loud, its just not whisper quiet. I'll change that at some point.

One question i have, the cooler master 200mm megaflow fans are induction fans where they draw in air, could i reverse the fan to use it as an exhaust fan for the top ?

Associate
OP
One other thing thats worth mentioning for people that are planning on changing the front fan on the 650D, you have to take off the front panel, to do this their are clips on the inside. You take off both side panels then you will see 3 rows of clips on the inside, its one clip on each side that have to be pressed at the same time to loosen it off, their are 3 rows of these clips so 6 clips in total, just start from the top and work your way down, keep the pulling pressure on so that the clips you have just undone don't jump back into place.

NZXT, like you i was a bit concerned that i'd have to cut that mesh away on the inside after what some people had said, i didn't really want to do that on a brand new £140 case. Fortunatley these Cooler Master Megaflow fans seem to be excellent, very quiet with great air flow.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The hard drive monitor LED and the power button LED on the 650D, are these just standard type LED's or do you need to get the correct type as i wouldn't mind changing them to a different colour instead of just plain white.

Associate
OP
Demciflex do a filter kit for the Corsair 650D, anyone spotted any in the UK. Overclockers stock Demciflex filters but i don't see the one for the 650D, they are supposed to be better than the stock ones and allow better air flow and filtering.

Associate
OP
Ive now also installed a cooler master megaflow to the top exhaust as well as the front and the difference between the stock ones is like night and day, its really quiet and you can hardly hear a thing.

Associate
OP
Is anyone else getting a vibration from their optical drive if its on the top bay due to all the cables that come from the front panel ?

Their are quite a few cables that come from the front panel and their is very little space between the case and the top of the optical drive and the cables are vibrating on the drive.

Associate
OP
One question i have regarding the top hot bay for a hard drive.

Has anyone tried to disconnect the firewire cable and the hard drive cable from the under side so you have less cables to try and hide as they are quite a bundle that come from the front panel as well as those for the top hard drive bay.

Ive pulled on them and they seem quite tight, didn't want to over do it until i knew of someone else thats taken them out.

Associate
OP
You can take the top drive bay cables completly out, theres 2 screws and it just slides out.

For the firewire, As my above comment, it seems its all housed quite well, just need to dismantle the housing and disconnect the cables you dont want.

Had a quick tidy up, i removed the hot bay cables, that was easy enough. I now use the tray at the top to keep things in like pocket flash drives etc.

I took the front panel off and removed the firewire port as i'm never going to use it, the only thing is you can't just disconnect the cable as its soldered in, you have to take the port itself out which is no prob as you just slide it upwards and it comes out. Its miles better now having less cables around the top where my first optical drive is.

Ive also routed the front USB3 cables to the rear and i'm now using 2 rear USB3 ports for the front which is no prob as my motherboard has 6 rear USB3 ports, that frees up a USB3 header on the motherboard which will come in handy.

Associate
OP
A small mod ive done to the front mesh filter on the 650D, i wasn't over keen on the criss cross look of the front filter plus it would reduce air flow slightly.

To do it take away the mesh by lifting the clips up and slide the plastic frame out, to cut through the plastic i used a stanley knife, i warmed up the blade on the cooker and it cuts through the plastic like butter. It really improves the front look of the case and makes it so much cleaner looking, its hard to do it justice in pics.

mod3_zpsef324318.jpg

mod4_zps6d48f8ce.jpg

Mod1_zps79c9a5ff.jpg

mod2_zps0074a7b0.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just done it on my 600T, thanks.

You happy with the results ? It doesn't half make a big difference on the appearance and probably the air flow as well.

One other small mod ive done is ive added quite thick rubber washers in between the fans and the case, this moves the fans a nice distance away from the black mesh grills and it really has a big difference on sound levels.

I'm getting my case very close to silent at the min, it wouldn't do much for the standard fans that come with the case as they are noisy anyway.

You'd need to upgrade the standard fans then add quite thick black rubber spacers/washers in between the fan and the case, obviously you'll need longer screws but you can get them from most hardware places, just take one of your screws to them and say you need a longer version of that screw.

Associate
OP
I'm using a 120mm Spectre Pro in the back, two 120mm Gentle Typhoon 1850s in the top and a Spectre Pro 200mm in the front. Had them all laying around in a draw so though id quickly stick them in. The front fan makes so much noise it's crazy.

Apparently the further away the fans are from the honeycomb mesh it reduces the noise significantly, ive got 200mm Cooler Master Megaflow fans on the front and top and a Corsair AF 120mm on the rear. Pushing the fans away from the mesh with spacers doesn't half make a difference.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just bought a set of Demciflex filters for my 650D, i bought them direct from Demciflex as OCUK didn't have the 650D kit listed.

Very impressed with them, don't know if its my ears but i'm sure its reduced the sound levels. It was very quiet before as i'd upgraded the stock fans but i'm pretty sure this has reduced then sound levels even more.

Associate
OP
Latest small upgrade, ive removed all the hard drive cages out of the case and installed this, hopefully the air will circulate a lot better with less obstructions.

Thermaltake1.jpg

Thermaltake2.jpg

Associate
OP
I'm considering doing it as well.

A 200mm hole cutter would give a neat job, just stand the case on end, mask off the other side of the case with something like plastic sheeting or newspaper and tape it so its sealed to stop dust and fragments going inside the case.

Attach the hole cutter to a drill, with a steady hand cut out the mesh.

Associate
OP
majnu

I'd be interested in some pics when you have done it, take some pics along the way to show how you did it and let us know if it was straight forward. if your leaving your components and motherboard in i'd deffo seal off the inside at the front to stop metal filings and dust going towards the motherboard area.

I may try it with a pair of metal cutters, ive got some that do a left handed cut so shouldn't be too bad to follow the circular shape from right to left. You can neaten it after and use some rubber edge trim, you can custom order demciflex filters so a larger, magnet round one would also cover the area you have cut out.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I was on the cooler master store earlier buying some spare cables for my modular PSU, while i was in the store i decided to buy a couple of these

http://www.cmstore.eu/leds/

The power and HDD LED's look a bit bland on the 650D with both being white, i may have a go at changing one or the other so that they are not the same, probably a blue power button and keep the white HDD LED.

Does anyone with electrical knowledge know if they will be suitable and similar to the current ones that are in ?

Associate
OP
I bit the bullet and cut the mesh out, i used a pair of left cut aviation cutters which are basically normal metal hand held cutters with a left cut.

i'll put some black edging on later in the week and neaten it up, pretty happy with the result though considering i didn't have a dremel.

Mesh-Cutout.jpg

Back
Top Bottom