**CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 650D OWNERS THREAD** ALL QUESTIONS HERE.

Associate
Hi there

I'm planning on doing an upgrade at christmas time here on my system, this being the GFX, Case and CPU Cooler.

I currently have the Antec Kuhler H2O 920, keeping my i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz idle temps around 40c, and under moderate load (gaming) 60-65c.. Roughly speaking.

Basically I'm planning on getting the Corsair 650D and a Corsair H100 and I'm wondering if a H100 would fit at the top 120mm x 2 vent, in a push-pull configuration, and how visible it would be with and without a push pull setup.

I have the Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, and I'm worrying about the heatsinks around the CPU, wether or not a H100 in push pull would be touching them, or rubbing.

Mamba

Associate
OP
You can take the top drive bay cables completly out, theres 2 screws and it just slides out.

For the firewire, As my above comment, it seems its all housed quite well, just need to dismantle the housing and disconnect the cables you dont want.

Had a quick tidy up, i removed the hot bay cables, that was easy enough. I now use the tray at the top to keep things in like pocket flash drives etc.

I took the front panel off and removed the firewire port as i'm never going to use it, the only thing is you can't just disconnect the cable as its soldered in, you have to take the port itself out which is no prob as you just slide it upwards and it comes out. Its miles better now having less cables around the top where my first optical drive is.

Ive also routed the front USB3 cables to the rear and i'm now using 2 rear USB3 ports for the front which is no prob as my motherboard has 6 rear USB3 ports, that frees up a USB3 header on the motherboard which will come in handy.

Soldato
Theres no reason for them not to as the top takes 200mm fans too, the spectre pro has the same standard 200mm mounting holes as the corsair fans so it will fit fine.

I own a 600T and the Spectre Pro will not fit in the top but does in the front, can no one tell me for definite that they have a 200mm working in the top?

Associate
OP
A small mod ive done to the front mesh filter on the 650D, i wasn't over keen on the criss cross look of the front filter plus it would reduce air flow slightly.

To do it take away the mesh by lifting the clips up and slide the plastic frame out, to cut through the plastic i used a stanley knife, i warmed up the blade on the cooker and it cuts through the plastic like butter. It really improves the front look of the case and makes it so much cleaner looking, its hard to do it justice in pics.

mod3_zpsef324318.jpg

mod4_zps6d48f8ce.jpg

Mod1_zps79c9a5ff.jpg

mod2_zps0074a7b0.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just done it on my 600T, thanks.

You happy with the results ? It doesn't half make a big difference on the appearance and probably the air flow as well.

One other small mod ive done is ive added quite thick rubber washers in between the fans and the case, this moves the fans a nice distance away from the black mesh grills and it really has a big difference on sound levels.

I'm getting my case very close to silent at the min, it wouldn't do much for the standard fans that come with the case as they are noisy anyway.

You'd need to upgrade the standard fans then add quite thick black rubber spacers/washers in between the fan and the case, obviously you'll need longer screws but you can get them from most hardware places, just take one of your screws to them and say you need a longer version of that screw.

Soldato
You happy with the results ? It doesn't half make a big difference on the appearance and probably the air flow as well.

One other small mod ive done is ive added quite thick rubber washers in between the fans and the case, this moves the fans a nice distance away from the black mesh grills and it really has a big difference on sound levels.

I'm getting my case very close to silent at the min, it wouldn't do much for the standard fans that come with the case as they are noisy anyway.

You'd need to upgrade the standard fans then add quite thick black rubber spacers/washers in between the fan and the case, obviously you'll need longer screws but you can get them from most hardware places, just take one of your screws to them and say you need a longer version of that screw.

I'm using a 120mm Spectre Pro in the back, two 120mm Gentle Typhoon 1850s in the top and a Spectre Pro 200mm in the front. Had them all laying around in a draw so though id quickly stick them in. The front fan makes so much noise it's crazy.

Associate
OP
I'm using a 120mm Spectre Pro in the back, two 120mm Gentle Typhoon 1850s in the top and a Spectre Pro 200mm in the front. Had them all laying around in a draw so though id quickly stick them in. The front fan makes so much noise it's crazy.

Apparently the further away the fans are from the honeycomb mesh it reduces the noise significantly, ive got 200mm Cooler Master Megaflow fans on the front and top and a Corsair AF 120mm on the rear. Pushing the fans away from the mesh with spacers doesn't half make a difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
give me a couple of hours and i'll install mine from the side mesh on the top.

@matrix - very nice. Might rob that idea myself :D

Cheers, would be nice to know. I've also found that having the top fan as an intake as well as the front and just using the back for exhaust has reduced my GPU temps quite a lot in my 600T.

Permabanned
here's your answer

IMG_20120920_163728_zpsfa92ca7e.jpg

IMG_20120920_163803_zps91ce5c19.jpg

IMG_20120920_163756_zps1d8f63f9.jpg

If you plan on using the top as an intake then you'll need to order a demciflex filter from south africa, costs about £15 delivered, otherwise use some tights which allegedly works just as well.

Soldato
I need the filters anyway as I have removed all the filters from my front panel. Those Demiflex ones are rather expensive though, and I don't like the idea of external filters.

But thanks a lot for that.

Soldato
A small mod ive done to the front mesh filter on the 650D, i wasn't over keen on the criss cross look of the front filter plus it would reduce air flow slightly.

To do it take away the mesh by lifting the clips up and slide the plastic frame out, to cut through the plastic i used a stanley knife, i warmed up the blade on the cooker and it cuts through the plastic like butter. It really improves the front look of the case and makes it so much cleaner looking, its hard to do it justice in pics.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/wires4eva/mod3_zpsef324318.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/wires4eva/mod4_zps6d48f8ce.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/wires4eva/Mod1_zps79c9a5ff.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/wires4eva/mod2_zps0074a7b0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="Carl_Bennetts, post: 22800341"]i am actually going to do the above mod now....thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Very simple idea :)

I may have a look into doing this too. I need to stop being such a woman when it comes to cosmetic MODs to my case :p

Soldato
If you plan on using the top as an intake then you'll need to order a demciflex filter from south africa, costs about £15 delivered, otherwise use some tights which allegedly works just as well.

I bought 2 Silverstone magnetic fan filters from the tinterweb, less than £15 delivered. No need for lingerie :D

Back
Top Bottom