**CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 650D OWNERS THREAD** ALL QUESTIONS HERE.

Soldato
Right, got it done. Cut out the mesh like this all the way around before neatening it up a little bit.

I didn't bother with any filing and just added the rubber edging. Looks pretty neat :)

And wow, we're about 3 degrees cooler over each CPU core when idling. And also the GPU is 7 degrees cooler. Not sure how much of this can be attributed to the mod itself as I did clean out a bit of dust while I was at it. But either way, I'm pretty happy.

Associate
OP
Looks good Topgun, did you find it easier than you thought ? Its just a matter of taking your time, the edging trim really finishes it off and makes it look like thats how it was designed.

Soldato
Yes! I wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. The snips were quite easy to use and it was quite easy to get a neat curve when tidying up the initial cut.

I really am impressed with the temperature differences, especially the GPU. I didn't think it would make that much difference. :)

Soldato
Next time I get into a game I'll take note!

For the GPU under load we we're looking at 85-88 before. Will be interesting to see if there is a difference now.

Associate
OP
Thats a bonus, being able to get a Thermalright TY 140mm fan on the rear as an exhaust fan. The fan has both 120mm and 140mm mountings, you need to have the fan so the flat part of the casing is on the side of the case. It goes in with a bit of jiggling around.

I had the fans sitting here doing nothing after using them on my 612S cooler, i changed to a Phanteks cooler which came with 140mm fans so i thought i'd have a look to see if i could do anything with these TY 140mm fans.

Associate
I made a shroud for the rear fan out of an old 120mm frame and mounted the TY 140mm on that. It pushes it back further into the case and stops it fouling that little ridge on the case side. Without it, even with the flat part of the frame facing the case side, the side is pushed out a little although it still closes.

Associate
OP
Yeh with the TY 140mm the door at the rear does bulge very slightly, its the ridge, seam design on the door which causes that.

I tested one of my Phanteks 140mm fans off my cooler and that sits on the rear virtually perfectly, no bulge on the door and it looks better. I'll probably get another couple of the Phanteks fans as i may put a 3rd fan on my cooler anyway.

Associate
Hello all

I don't know if anyone can help but I'm having trouble trying to find a 5.25 inch to 3.5 inch converter that actually fits the 650D. I'm looking to fit a Akasa USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Memory Card Reader (Internal header) and have purchased the Lian Li MF-515B 5.25" to 3.5" Adapter Kit - Black which does not fit.

Has anyone found one that does ? or have any other solution ?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Associate
Yeh with the TY 140mm the door at the rear does bulge very slightly, its the ridge, seam design on the door which causes that.

I tested one of my Phanteks 140mm fans off my cooler and that sits on the rear virtually perfectly, no bulge on the door and it looks better. I'll probably get another couple of the Phanteks fans as i may put a 3rd fan on my cooler anyway.

The nice thing about using a home made shroud is that it pushed the fan further away from the rear grill which reduces noise. I did the same on the front one rather than snipping away the front grill like others have done and that helped a lot with the fan noise too. Snipping away the grill might be more effective but I like to keep my mods reversible if possible :)

Associate
Corsair Obsidium 650D fan problem

Hi,

Just today the back fan (near top of the case) suddenly started to whirl quite loudly. The pattern is 10 secs of constantly on full, followed by 3-4 seconds of silence. Then the whole pattern just repeats non-stop.

This is my system:
"Ultima Tyrannosaur" Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz @ 4.60GHz 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD Sandybridge Computer System with Quad SLI Nvidia GTX590
Running Windows 7 x64

Wondered if any one else had this problem or knows how to solve it or what to try.

Thanks for any help,
Julian

P.S. i tried holding down the button in middle of the block (on CPU) for >10secs but made no difference.

OCP

OCP

Associate
I'm interested in buying the XSPC D5 EX280 or RX240 WC Kit for my Corsair 650D Case but I heard some rads don't fit properly on the 650D. Does anyone know if either kits will fit the 650D inc 2 Corsair SP120/AF140 fans (mounted inside) without any mods? Or should I ask in the WC section?

I have an Asus Z77 Maximus Formula Mobo with low profile RAM.

Cheers!

Soldato
I dont think the 140mm slots on the top are spaced right for a 280mm rad.

They're perfectly fine. The problem is actually finding a 280mm rad that is not too thick otherwise its a PITA to install fans without hitting the top of the motherboard.

I've got the Koolance 280mm rad and its been working a treat cooling 2700k @4.8 along with my previous 7970 and the current 670GTX (clocked @ 1.28ghz)

take a look here:

20121028_165752.jpg

I used to run it with 2 x 140mm Akasa apaches - but they have rubbish static pressure. I've now got 2 x 120mm Scythe GT's and thankfully two bitspower 140 > 120mm convertors still gave me just enough space for my motherboard ;)

Only thing I modded was the top sata HDD bay - I cut a piece off inside so I could change my rad around so the openings were towards teh front of the case. I'll see if I can find the original thread which spurred on my watercooling endeavour in my 650.

Soldato
Here you go guys - There some excellent tips on watercooling in a 650D discussed in this thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18367512&highlight=zoomee

Theres also a couple of links within that thread which point to a couple of other threads.

20121028_165741.jpg

At one point I even used to have a 120mm rad on the back too lol. Handy for multiple GPU setups I guess and I never got round to it so removed it in favour of just one 280mm rad for space saving.

Back
Top Bottom