Cosmos II SR-X Build + Pictures

Man of Honour
Nice one Intel...

Couldn't they still be overclocked using the FSB?

Only very slightly, similar to Sandybridge not a lot to be gained from FSB clocking. To be fair though, those CPU's he has do overdrive up to 3.8Ghz.

Just a shame because they are probably good for 4.8-5.0Ghz

I know my SR2 with X5650's was good for 4.2Ghz (up from 2.66Ghz)

DAMN YOU INTEL AND YOUR LOCKED MULTI XEONS!!

Associate
So far I NEVER NEVER understood why the so called "Enthusiast" motherboards have the PCIe slots perpendicular to the RAM slots while the "Server" motherboards have a MUCH MUCH better Aerodynamic layout, with the RAM slots parallel to the PCIe slots, and because this issue I am continuously considering to buy a TYAN or Supermicro "Server" motherboard
.This "Server" motherboards usually have even the 24 pin power connector "parallel" to the PCIe and RAM slots. therefore everything is parallel ;)

btxmobo.png

Last edited:
Soldato
So far I NEVER NEVER understood why the so called "Enthusiast" motherboards have the PCIe slots perpendicular to the RAM slots while the "Server" motherboards have a MUCH MUCH better Aerodynamic layout, with the RAM slots parallel to the PCIe slots, and because this issue I am continuously considering to buy a TYAN or Supermicro "Server" motherboard
.This "Server" motherboards usually have even the 24 pin power connector "parallel" to the PCIe and RAM slots. therefore everything is parallel ;)

"Enthusiast" and "Server" are marketed for completely different people.

1.Enthusiasts are going to be using big cases where that sort of air cooling wont be efficient. Servers are tight, they're not very open inside and are a completely different shape, not very efficient for a desktop space.

2. I'd put good money on 90% of people buying these boards will be using at least water to cool most components that require such cooling.

3. Servers are all about efficiency and business whereas these rigs are all about power at your desk.

4. There's nothing wrong with the airflow in desktop cases when you're flowing it where it's directing naturally (heat rises).

Associate
Beautiful build. As per the other comments, shame about the "overclockability" of the Xeons being the performance limiting part.

Wonder how this physically performs? Any benchies?

Soldato
I think this is more a modding build than something that will actually be used as a home PC? It's for taking to shows so people can see what can be done with modern technology.

Given that the main parts are all Coolermaster, EVGA or Kingston I'm gonna take a stab at it being a sponsered build as well, especially with this level of attention to detail.

Back
Top Bottom