Cosmos II SR-X Build + Pictures

Associate
I think this is more a modding build than something that will actually be used as a home PC? It's for taking to shows so people can see what can be done with modern technology.

Given that the main parts are all Coolermaster, EVGA or Kingston I'm gonna take a stab at it being a sponsered build as well, especially with this level of attention to detail.

Yeah, looks like that to me too.

Have to admit it is nice though.

OP what colours are you painting it? More red?

Associate
The only wires that you need to hide better are the PCIe cables, this is the reason I buy only video cards with the PCIe connectors aiming to the front of the case instead to the side of the case

this I think is the better layout for the PCIe connectors

011.jpg

Associate
Dropping the 2 beautiful 680s because the PCIe ports aren't in the right place would be a terrible move! Absolutely stunning rig, as said shame about the Xeon overclock debacle but I doubt that is even a consideration when booting this up!

Associate
Totaly agreed :)

Are you telling me that you've been able to discern any substantial difference in the performance or overclock-ability of modern day GPU's that's not governed by the cooling? A significant portion of them are based around a reference design, and therefore VERY closely matched component wise. The main difference being the layout and use of a PCB. I certainly have not been able to discern much difference between my last few GPU's, but there again the last card I bought was a GTX 480.

Has much changed?

Associate
OP
While at i46, EVGA called in and brought me their new EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified Power Supply which finishes this mod off perfectly and i’ve got to say, i think this is as close to perfection i will ever get.

Yes there were a couple of issues with the original BIOS on the SR-X board which were quickly ironed out but since then i’ve never looked back and its been rock solid ever since.

Simply put, there is absolutely nothing i would change with this system which is probably a first for me.........oh wait, yeah i’d add another couple of 680’s for good measure or swap them out for a couple of 690’s but apart from that, this is as good as it gets for me.

Final Spec and a few pictures with the new PSU...

CoolerMaster Cosmos II
EVGA SR-X Motherboard
Intel Xeon E5-2687W s2011 CPU’s
EVGA GTX680 Hydro Copper GPU’s
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified PSU
Kingston Limited Edition HyperX 48GB Memory
Kingston HyperX SSD’s
XSPC EX480
XSPC EX240 Multiport x2
XSPC Raystorm CPU Blocks
XSPC D5 Pumps
Bitspower Fittings