Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

you don't have to apologise, I agree it is down to laziness but also ignorance - and I don't mean that in a nasty way, a lot of people just haven't had that exposure to "proper" cooking.

Sure they can look at the pariah that is social media, but people of that mindset of wanting to eat fast food/etc... are not likely to use SM to want to watch edifying stuff instead on random idiocy that often appears on SM.

Of course they aren't going to but you then don't get to whinge that you can't afford to eat healthily. And I would suggest that most people know vaguely what is healthy and what isn't. No one thinks that chicken dippers and chips is healthy. No one thinks a takeaway or mcdonalds is healthy.

On all the "how am I so fat and unhealthy" shows they all lie about what they eat and how much of it. "I think we eat quite well, lots of veggies and fruit". No, when we watched you your shopping trolley was 80% fast food, snacks and booze. The fact that you lied to us so completely suggests that perhaps you do know that what you actually eat isn't good for you and you were trying to get away with it.

'm sorry but its fundamentally laziness. I bet that every single one of the people who claim they don't know how to cook could tell you how to install insta/facebook/tiktok and get it showing you mind rotting content in 5 minutes flat. They just can't be bothered to cook and for some reason, we have accepted "I don't know how to do X" as a valid excuse despite everyone having the internet in their pocket. I can't help but feel that its a fear that everyone has of being accused of being out of touch or part of the landed gentry if you suggest that poor people have no excuse not to be able to cook basic meals.
Perhaps fear of failure. Of trying and it not working. So they don't try in the 1st place.
My grandparents were poor, but they were brilliant cooks. Though there wasn't as much convenience food when they grew up, you learned to cook out of necessity. Now people can just pickup whatever they want and bung in the oven/microwave.

Of course they aren't going to but you then don't get to whinge that you can't afford to eat healthily. And I would suggest that most people know vaguely what is healthy and what isn't. No one thinks that chicken dippers and chips is healthy. No one thinks a takeaway or mcdonalds is healthy.

On all the "how am I so fat and unhealthy" shows they all lie about what they eat and how much of it. "I think we eat quite well, lots of veggies and fruit". No, when we watched you your shopping trolley was 80% fast food, snacks and booze. The fact that you lied to us so completely suggests that perhaps you do know that what you actually eat isn't good for you and you were trying to get away with it.
Cognitive dissonance probably plays a significant part there too. I do feel sorry for them because they probably want to do the right thing deep down but somehow/something stops them.

I mean I don't like having to hike up crap foods to price them out of making those choices, as you know, everything in moderation. Even a food snob like me likes the occasional pizza (albeit I tend to go to our local wood-fired oven place here).

Any leadership has it hard at the moment, help people use foodbanks, or significantly damage the economy by banning or forcing products off the shelves... It's ridiculous as well that a lot of our food from local farms is so expensive, if anything it should be cheaper as it hasn't gone through as many steps... There's something skew-whiff about food supply and distribution in this country. Not quite sure what it is though.

Never tried the lentil Shepard's pie, but yes it's all pretty cheap, I buy tinned chickpeas, big packs of frozen veg, lentils , my chickpea vindaloo is next level.
I do buy some processed vegan stuff but I picked up some expensive items like heinz been burgers for 35 p a pack ,farm foods not sure why so cheap but they had a freezer full.
That's where I mistakenly bought vanilla oat milk but tbh getting used to it
My doctor tried to tell me to ease off on milk recently,
Of course it is. There is almost no incentive to learn how to cook for these people. Its a lot of effort compared to ordering takeaway or sticking a couple of things in the oven for 20 minutes.

I genuinely hope you don't find yourself in a place where you're forced to familiarise yourself with how completely the system has failed this segment of society on a fundamental level. I can virtually taste the disgust and vitriol in your malicious use of the phrase "these people". "Those people" have grown up with a legacy of dysfunctional family and a society that does not care for them because of the boundary lines of their community, and your very obvious prejudice is a barrier to helping "these people" see that there's a way to better care for themselves and their kin. There have been successes, but offloading the blame on their willingness to aim for convenience and practicality in a lot of cases in favour of traditional home cooked meals is offensive and counter productive.

Perhaps you should recognise and count your blessings instead of being resentful and hateful towards a segment of British society that contribute as much they can with what little they have. And they do, in a good portion of the people that cross the door of our church.

you don't have to apologise, I agree it is down to laziness but also ignorance - and I don't mean that in a nasty way, a lot of people just haven't had that exposure to "proper" cooking.

Sure they can look at the pariah that is social media, but people of that mindset of wanting to eat fast food/etc... are not likely to use SM to want to watch edifying stuff instead on random idiocy that often appears on SM.

There are the practicalities as well. I know some single mothers that come into the food bank that work 3 jobs, are exhausted in the extreme and can do little more than make the bad choices, because the bad choices are easier, and that needs to be addressed heads on. A lot of the approaches taken through education involve making home cooking with the kids fun, meal prep and changing habits slowly. These things do not happen overnight - in deprived areas you're talking about generations of families that haven't seen the benefits that someone in, say, Tunbridge Wells, one of the wealthiest places in Britain to the detriment of these neighbourhoods might have seen.

Chicken Dippers is quick, to the point and keeps the kids happy. Maybe you can ask your minimum wage housekeeper what life is like for him/her? McDonalds/Takeaway is more convenient for someone working minimum wage to make ends meet. I think I'm done with trying to emphasise the need for a little empathy with you. Have fun voting for Greg Clark, or whichever tory scum pops their head up this year.

Cognitive dissonance probably plays a significant part there too. I do feel sorry for them because they probably want to do the right thing deep down but somehow/something stops them.

I mean I don't like having to hike up crap foods to price them out of making those choices, as you know, everything in moderation. Even a food snob like me likes the occasional pizza (albeit I tend to go to our local wood-fired oven place here).

Any leadership has it hard at the moment, help people use foodbanks, or significantly damage the economy by banning or forcing products off the shelves... It's ridiculous as well that a lot of our food from local farms is so expensive, if anything it should be cheaper as it hasn't gone through as many steps... There's something skew-whiff about food supply and distribution in this country. Not quite sure what it is though.

We broke the chain. We ceded ground in the name of convenience. We allowed Tesco, Asda and Morrisons to buy up the local supermarkets to the point that we're overly reliant on their supply chain. Farmers are literally dumping milk down the drain, and corner shops are part of national franchises instead of being home grown community stores that had a connection to their local grocery vendors as well as the odd luxury. This was evident before 2020, but the pandemic and lock down completely broke the system and left people reliant on a system that was woefully underequipped for the purpose. For the record, I was fine because I live on the doorstep of farming and fishing communities, and was able to get my five a day quite easily from a source I trusted. But people in more metropolitan areas? I pity, and I continue to pity because the supply chain is still on its knees and not being helped by the counter productive attitude of the people that our friend Fez likely voted for.

I'm quite proud of the fact that over the last few years, our church group has built lasting connections. Food waste happens less; kids that come in have healthier teeth and reach for fruit instead of the chocolate digestives and the mums have something to look forward to - but none of this happened quickly. None of them knew how to make their own lasagne, or a quiche or a pie, and now a good group of them can proudly say they know how to do more than prep some beans on toast. Perhaps that's the one blessing of 14 years of forced austerity.

Last edited:
No you weren't. You are having a go at people that like to eat meat because you just can't help yourself...See the last part of your sentence above as a perfect example by bringing in the emotive language.

If you were REALLY being genuine and suggesting possible cheaper alternatives for food because of people's concerns about the CoL, you would have left your usual rhetoric out of the discussion and just suggested plant based options without the "stabbing animals" nonsense.

You're very transparent.

Not really Shepherds pie then. Before you have a go - You realise its called Shepherds Pie because of the lamb in it. Not having Lamb in it means its not a Shepherds Pie in much the same way that having beef in it makes it a Cottage Pie.

Now - If you want to respond, please at least try and leave the emotively charged language out of it. It devalues any points you are trying to make.

Because I speak up for the victims, not promote a "diet" but you can advocate in more than one way, hence why I suggested a "plant based" foods to save some money.

You always do this, you attack the way I present the case, rather than the message itself, because you must know deep down inside there's actually no reason for paying for animals to be killed for you, you just dont care.

None of those taste like a burger though? If I want a burger, then I want a burger

I don't like tofu, lentils or chickpeas so regardless of how cheap they are, it's irrelevant if I don't like eating them. I'm not going to make myself miserable eating stuff that I don't like.

You've never had a beyond burger then? They taste pretty much like beef, just without the animal abuse.

Last edited:
Because I speak up for the victims, not promote a "diet" but you can advocate in more than one way, hence why I suggested a "plant based" foods to save some money.

You always do this, you attack the way I present the case, rather than the message itself, because you must know deep down inside there's actually no reason for paying for animals to be killed for you, you just dont care.

I "always do this" because your posts are self righteous clap-trap spoken by someone on a soapbox dictating to people how they should live their lives as if you're levitating above us all like some sentient God. Damn right I attack the way you post your opinions on this topic and will continue doing so for as long as you post in that manner mentioned.

Had you simply suggested a plant based food and left this crap out, your point would have more merit:

Pretty cheap considering the hell pigs go through in the factory farms then the slaughterhouse.
So you dont think 3.50 is cheap for some tortured animal flesh?
...and youre not paying for animals to be stabbed...

And, for the record, you didn't start by recommending trying a plant based diet to save money - that was your 3rd post which was preceded by 2 posts denouncing meat diets so don't try and gas light me and make out you're being picked on.

I genuinely hope you don't find yourself in a place where you're forced to familiarise yourself with how completely the system has failed this segment of society on a fundamental level. I can virtually taste the disgust and vitriol in your malicious use of the phrase "these people". "Those people" have grown up with a legacy of dysfunctional family and a society that does not care for them because of the boundary lines of their community, and your very obvious prejudice is a barrier to helping "these people" see that there's a way to better care for themselves and their kin. There have been successes, but offloading the blame on their willingness to aim for convenience and practicality in a lot of cases in favour of traditional home cooked meals is offensive and counter productive.

Perhaps you should recognise and count your blessings instead of being resentful and hateful towards a segment of British society that contribute as much they can with what little they have. And they do, in a good portion of the people that cross the door of our church.

Theres plenty of things that society has failed these people on. Teaching them to cook isn't one of them. Cooking is ******* simple. Its not giving them jobs, its not giving them an education, its cooking. I can't give someone an education in an evening but I could teach them to cook a few meals. Its really that simple.

There are the practicalities as well. I know some single mothers that come into the food bank that work 3 jobs, are exhausted in the extreme and can do little more than make the bad choices, because the bad choices are easier, and that needs to be addressed heads on. A lot of the approaches taken through education involve making home cooking with the kids fun, meal prep and changing habits slowly. These things do not happen overnight - in deprived areas you're talking about generations of families that haven't seen the benefits that someone in, say, Tunbridge Wells, one of the wealthiest places in Britain to the detriment of these neighbourhoods might have seen.

Chicken Dippers is quick, to the point and keeps the kids happy. Maybe you can ask your minimum wage housekeeper what life is like for him/her? McDonalds/Takeaway is more convenient for someone working minimum wage to make ends meet. I think I'm done with trying to emphasise the need for a little empathy with you. Have fun voting for Greg Clark, or whichever tory scum pops their head up this year.

For a man who seems to have quite the empathy for a lot of people you sure make a lot of assumptions about other people. I grew up in what would be considered a poor household. My mum home cooked all our meals because, shocker, she couldn't afford to feed us processed crap or takeaways. We had takeaway perhaps once a year if that. She never taught me to cook but somehow I managed to do the impossible and stick a few ingredients in a pan to cook for myself when I left home.

Last night I made enough pasta sauce for 3 nights worth of meals and I could have done enough for 10. It took 2 minutes of prep and about 45 minutes of literally leaving it on the hob. This ridiculous idea that the vast vast vast majority of people don't have the time to cook is just ridiculous. The idea that people who haven't grown up in the right area can't cook or shouldn't be expected to cook is equally as ridiculous. I currently work a job and a half and have young twins. Talk to me about not having enough time to cook...

Oh and it might surprise you to learn that not everyone who doesn't give people every little excuse not to do basic things votes Tory but then I can virtually taste the disgust and vitriol in your malicious use of the phrase Tory scum and the people you like to associate with them ;)

Says a man who never makes his own burgers I'd say....?
I make my own burgers, amongst other things.

Theres plenty of things that society has failed these people on. Teaching them to cook isn't one of them. Cooking is ******* simple. Its not giving them jobs, its not giving them an education, its cooking. I can't give someone an education in an evening but I could teach them to cook a few meals. Its really that simple.

Someone's failed these people - whether it be a family unit that perpetuates the myth that packaged meals is an easier route, or a school schedule. Cookery classes are constantly teaching people the basics if indeed you can convince people to turn up. I agree it's that simple - changing an ingrained mindset however isn't.

For a man who seems to have quite the empathy for a lot of people you sure make a lot of assumptions about other people. I grew up in what would be considered a poor household. My mum home cooked all our meals because, shocker, she couldn't afford to feed us processed crap or takeaways. We had takeaway perhaps once a year if that. She never taught me to cook but somehow I managed to do the impossible and stick a few ingredients in a pan to cook for myself when I left home.

Last night I made enough pasta sauce for 3 nights worth of meals and I could have done enough for 10. It took 2 minutes of prep and about 45 minutes of literally leaving it on the hob. This ridiculous idea that the vast vast vast majority of people don't have the time to cook is just ridiculous. The idea that people who haven't grown up in the right area can't cook or shouldn't be expected to cook is equally as ridiculous. I currently work a job and a half and have young twins. Talk to me about not having enough time to cook...

Oh and it might surprise you to learn that not everyone who doesn't give people every little excuse not to do basic things votes Tory but then I can virtually taste the disgust and vitriol in your malicious use of the phrase Tory scum and the people you like to associate with them ;)

Congrats on the twins. Genuinely. I mean that. I agree that teaching people that it's easier, more convenient and cleaner to teach people lasting habits like meal prep but the reality is that the current economy doesn't encourage the people walking through the doors to focus on home life ironically enough.

And I'll tell you what - you furnish me with enough respect to not refer to people less fortunate than the both of us as "these people", and I'll refrain from using the term "Tory Scum".

Someone's failed these people - whether it be a family unit that perpetuates the myth that packaged meals is an easier route, or a school schedule. Cookery classes are constantly teaching people the basics if indeed you can convince people to turn up. I agree it's that simple - changing an ingrained mindset however isn't.

Of course someone has failed these people. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't have some expectations of them. I think a lack of expectations does people few favours personally.

Congrats on the twins. Genuinely. I mean that. I agree that teaching people that it's easier, more convenient and cleaner to teach people lasting habits like meal prep but the reality is that the current economy doesn't encourage the people walking through the doors to focus on home life ironically enough.

Firstly thank you, they are largely a blessing. Largely :p

And no, modern life is hard and there are a million different distractions for people. Life isn't going to change however. Social media is not going to get any less addictive in the coming years. I doubt we are going to be working less any time soon. Something has to change because peoples health is just getting worse and worse.

And I'll tell you what - you furnish me with enough respect to not refer to people less fortunate than the both of us as "these people", and I'll refrain from using the term "Tory Scum".

I wasn't really referring to poor people from disadvantaged background specifically. I was very much talking generally because a shockingly large number of people in this country are unhealthy and overweight and their excuses for it are poor. Many times the number of people that would fit into the "disadvantaged" category. When I was referring to poorer people I was mainly referring to those who claim they cannot afford to eat healthily while spending multiples more than it costs to eat reasonably well on junk food.

And feel free to call people Tory scum when they deserve it but perhaps make sure first!

"They taste just like beef" says man famous for never eating beef.

I wasn't raised a vegan was I, jesus xD

I "always do this" because your posts are self righteous clap-trap spoken by someone on a soapbox dictating to people how they should live their lives as if you're levitating above us all like some sentient God. Damn right I attack the way you post your opinions on this topic and will continue doing so for as long as you post in that manner mentioned.

Had you simply suggested a plant based food and left this crap out, your point would have more merit:

Yea and like ive told you before, il keep stating the facts whether it triggers you or not, which it clearly does, you have no argument as per usual.

Back
Top Bottom