Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

The truth hurts eh.
Not really.

I like eating meat because it tastes good. I can afford to eat meat.

Are there good tasting vegan alternatives - no doubt these days there are. Are the good tasting vegan alternatives reasonably priced? No in most cases they are more expensive, with only older/crap tasting versions available cheaper than meat e.g. generic veggie burgers Vs "beyond burgers" or "plant chef"

In a cost of living crisis, I'll buy the best tasting product that I can actually afford.

At the expense of others lives, if people were that concerned about the "cost of living" they would eat more plant based foods considering they're cheaper.

Cheaper to who? What planet are you on? There's a reason why Morrisons and Asda are adding more to their saver lines than ever. People are being pushed to afford the basics so families on low incomes can provide, let alone whatever processed crap birds eye are pushing out this week to placate the vegan moral superiority police.

Not really.

I like eating meat because it tastes good. I can afford to eat meat.

Are there good tasting vegan alternatives - no doubt these days there are. Are the good tasting vegan alternatives reasonably priced? No in most cases they are more expensive, with only older/crap tasting versions available cheaper than meat e.g. generic veggie burgers Vs "beyond burgers" or "plant chef"

In a cost of living crisis, I'll buy the best tasting product that I can actually afford.

I'd also rather have a nicely balanced diet and for my kids too.

I can't afford NOT to provide good food for myself or my family. A balanced diet which includes meat and fish is more important, and I know I'm lucky to be able to afford it but I also believe that it's better to put effort in good diet than not. Also I find eating well doesn't cost much more than buy cheap / ready meals and poor quality stuff. Good quality food fills you up more and so it helps stop you overindulging on non-foods.

You see how much processing is required for vegan foods and it's pretty shocking. Food should be as natural as possible to be good for you. To be fair even some meats/cereals and other things can be highly processed - try and buy foods without a massive ingredients list and multi-syllable additives.

Last edited:
Pretty cheap considering the hell pigs go through in the factory farms then the slaughterhouse.

38f7246dcf153aeceacb2853f7d58583.jpg

I sustain myself via photosynthesis, all you plant murdering monsters should be ashamed, lining them up in neat little rows, before knocking them down like some sick game of dominoes.

Cheaper to who? What planet are you on? There's a reason why Morrisons and Asda are adding more to their saver lines than ever. People are being pushed to afford the basics so families on low incomes can provide, let alone whatever processed crap birds eye are pushing out this week to placate the vegan moral superiority police.

I mean, not that I'm agreeing with them but pulses, grains, lentils, tofu, tempeh, veg etc. is largely very cheap.

You don't have to buy ready meals/imitation meat.

At the expense of others lives, if people were that concerned about the "cost of living" they would eat more plant based foods considering they're cheaper.
Vegan items like plant based burgers are not selling well as they did 5 years ago. We have some at work which look minging and full of ingredients that no one can pronounce correctly or know what they are

I mean, not that I'm agreeing with them but pulses, grains, lentils, tofu, tempeh, veg etc. is largely very cheap.

You don't have to buy ready meals/imitation meat.

that's true - and actually they're very good for you and delicious (other than tofu, anything soy based I keep away from). However to get enough calories from them is quite tough if you need a fair bit of calories - but then again not impossible. However, vegan diets do need more planning and a bit more effort. To ensure you get your protein:carb:fat ratios requires a bit more thought with vegan only diets, let's not forget fats are a really important part of the diet as well as proteins. All the macro/micro nutrients are also harder to balance, which is why a lot of vegans do take supplements (again I'd question why a healthy diet would need to be supplemented? And also avoiding ultraprocessed vegan foods is hard).

We do meat free 2x a week, but it's not vegan, we still have eggs etc... It's quite nice to explore meat free dishes, makes you think about more about food and gets you to try more recipes.

Last edited:
Lot of vegans eat nuts to get their calories and fat intake up

True, nuts are great though even for non vegans. full of fibre, protein and fats.

Unfortunately quite expensive.

The reason people aren't eating well and eating ultra processed foods is because they're cheap (to manufacture as well) but the nutritional content is poor. :(

It's lose lose for those on the poverty line. :(

Last edited:
The reason people aren't eating well and eating ultra processed foods is because they're cheap (to manufacture as well) but the nutritional content is poor. :(

It's lose lose for those on the poverty line. :(

Its also because they are super lazy. Normal food isn't that expensive. Making pasta sauces is cheap. Potatoes are cheap. Rice is cheap. Ultra processed food really isn't that cheap, its just easy and people hate the idea of taking responsibility for their diets. The number of poor and overweight people is shocking. Thats because their diets and what they spend money on is stupid and bad.

I think I made it clear I do not think it's cheap. We are talking about 4 slices which is 120g. The amount of meat on an average pig is 65kg. That would make it 540 packs which is equal to about £2240.

Absolutely overpriced.
But how much does it cost to bring a pig to meat giving stage, given it takes 6 months alone for the pig to grow without factoring all the other overheads like feed, land, man hours to look after pig, vet bills, insurance, cost to transport for slaughter and cost to slaughter and package

Its also because they are super lazy. Normal food isn't that expensive. Making pasta sauces is cheap. Potatoes are cheap. Rice is cheap. Ultra processed food really isn't that cheap, its just easy and people hate the idea of taking responsibility for their diets. The number of poor and overweight people is shocking. Thats because their diets and what they spend money on is stupid and bad.

I agree about people being lazy - but it's also lack of knowledge but also having these processed foods so readily available. The U-P foods are more appealing but also is around the similar price to all the other individual foods so people think it's cheaper.

It is true that there are a lot of poorer people that seem to be be overweight/unhealthy. There needs to be more education on there, or more control on nutrition quality for what is sold.

Back
Top Bottom