Cost of MRI scan?

Associate
Add onto your wait for an MRI your wait to see the consultant, who himself / herself probably does private work as well.

Yep, say 2 weeks for a slot to be free for the MRI unless they get a cancellation, then 2 weeks after the MRI for the consultant to get the results back, its not instant.

Soldato
I will be asking for a referral to an NHS consultant but it depends on how long I have to wait, for an injury like this an MRI needs to be done ASAP to document the damage for legal purposes if nothing else. I can't wait up to 8 weeks, during which time much of my injuries may heal. The physio also would need to see the scans and I have about 8 more sessions left.

Your physio most likely change their practice due to the scans and therefore the only reason you seem to want this scan done seems is for litigious reasons. In which case the amount you will get most likely won't really be that significant when you are yourself admitting the damage will have healed in such a short time frame.

Caporegime
was a few days for me - saw the consultant on a Thursday got the scan the next week on a Tuesday IIRC (out patient place near liverpool st) then saw the Consultant again the following week.

Caporegime
OP
Your physio most likely change their practice due to the scans and therefore the only reason you seem to want this scan done seems is for litigious reasons. In which case the amount you will get most likely won't really be that significant when you are yourself admitting the damage will have healed in such a short time frame.

I've been told the damage will take months to heal fully and the settlement estimate is in the mid 4 figures at the moment, the majority will probably come from psychological issues rather than physical ones though. The physio was the one who suggested the MRI in the first place as it will allow her to determine the best course of treatment if she knows how badly damaged my ligaments are, going full on can cause a lot of pain so until I get some strong opioids and imaging done, treatment is more limited. The earlier the scan is done however, the more damage it will show which has legal advantages.

In all honesty though I just have to know why I've been having lower back pains all these years with some neuropathic pain, if insurance will pay for an MRI scan due to my injuries from the car crash, so much the better really. But health comes before money and I would personally pay for a lower back MRI. The compo will more than cover it if insurance doesn't.

Last edited:
Associate
Just out of interest is she a private physio?

The guidelines for having an MRI lumbar spine on the NHS are as follows:

Consider MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) when a diagnosis of
spinal malignancy, infection, fracture, cauda equina syndrome or
ankylosing spondylitis or another inflammatory disorder is
suspected.
also with a view to spinal surgery (leg/foot weakness, sometimes leg pain but NOT back pain).

There's a place in York I've sent people to in the past whos MRI's start at £200. Theres places over the UK too
http://www.alliancemedical.co.uk/

Personally I wouldn't waste my money unless the physio suspected the above or I had nerve root signs and was planning on having surgery. An MRI is certainly NOT required to determine the treatment for a good physio but if its purely to strengthen a claim then yes it may be worth paying out. MRI's are not perfect mind, they often don't show the problem (false negatives).

Soldato
then 2 weeks after the MRI for the consultant to get the results back, its not instant.

Since April I've had an Ultrasound, a CT scan and finally a few weeks ago an MRI which was from about waist up to neck, basically my abdomen area. All on NHS. A friend had a similar MRI with a private mob and the cost was £1700.

Ultrasound results were back in 4 days. CT scan results were back in 5 days and doc called me at home to come in and discuss them. MRI scan took 5 days also and basically confirmed what the CT showed which was Massive Hepatic Splenosis. So I wasn't anywhere near two weeks to wait for results although a fair amount of factors may influence that timescale depending on the individuals circumstances or location - your mileage may vary. :cool:

Soldato
I've been told the damage will take months to heal fully and the settlement estimate is in the mid 4 figures at the moment, the majority will probably come from psychological issues rather than physical ones though. The physio was the one who suggested the MRI in the first place as it will allow her to determine the best course of treatment if she knows how badly damaged my ligaments are, going full on can cause a lot of pain so until I get some strong opioids and imaging done, treatment is more limited. The earlier the scan is done however, the more damage it will show which has legal advantages.

In all honesty though I just have to know why I've been having lower back pains all these years with some neuropathic pain, if insurance will pay for an MRI scan due to my injuries from the car crash, so much the better really. But health comes before money and I would personally pay for a lower back MRI. The compo will more than cover it if insurance doesn't.

If your physio is saying it will guide her treatment then it's her responsibility to request and refer not yours. If she is not allowed to request an MRI then she needs to request that the person who referred you to her does so.

As to your second part I would not be totally sure an MRI would give you the answer you are necessarily looking for.

Man of Honour
if it helps - 'twas about £700 for my knee

AFAIK NHS waiting list is like 6 months or so... private you'll get it done within a couple of days

NHS was about a month for me. It all depends on how urgent they think it is. They'll do it straight away if it's urgent enough.

But yes, if you pay enough you can get it done whenever you want regardless of how urgent it is medically.

Man of Honour
The only way it would be fair is if the NHS only allow the use of private scans if the patient is then made to wait the same amount of time they would have had to wait if the scan was done on the NHS!

Otherwise people with money are cue jumping which is not cool or fair and completely against the whole FREE health care ethos imho.

Different queues, though.

I was once given an appointment to see a urologist on the NHS that had a completely unreasonable delay, about a year! I had pain in one testicle and I was in my late 20s, so obviously I was worried that it was cancer. I paid £80 (if I recall correctly - this was about 15 years ago) to see a consultant privately. The same one I would have seen a year later on the NHS, actually.

I had an operation on the NHS a week or two later. The queue for the consultant was huge. The queue for the surgical team wasn't.

Caporegime
OP
If your physio is saying it will guide her treatment then it's her responsibility to request and refer not yours. If she is not allowed to request an MRI then she needs to request that the person who referred you to her does so.

As to your second part I would not be totally sure an MRI would give you the answer you are necessarily looking for.

The referral to her was from a solicitor, I don't know whether she's allowed to refer for an MRI, I hadn't considered that possibility.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As this seems to relate to a personal injury claim then shouldn't those handling your claim be arranging for you to get whatever you need to support it?

If you need a scan to assist with your treatment then those in charge of your treatment should be able to arrange a scan for you if they consider one necessary.

Soldato
The referral to her was from a solicitor, I don't know whether she's allowed to refer for an MRI, I hadn't considered that possibility.

I would be suspicious of any practitioner I was referred to from a solicitor. Not that this is anything against solicitors at all they are rather good at what they do and what they are trained to do. However, they are not trained to determine what the best course of action is for a client's health.

Soldato
Different queues, though.

I was once given an appointment to see a urologist on the NHS that had a completely unreasonable delay, about a year! I had pain in one testicle and I was in my late 20s, so obviously I was worried that it was cancer. I paid £80 (if I recall correctly - this was about 15 years ago) to see a consultant privately. The same one I would have seen a year later on the NHS, actually.

I had an operation on the NHS a week or two later. The queue for the consultant was huge. The queue for the surgical team wasn't.

That shouldn't have been allowed imo, the fact you could afford the £80 gave you an unfair advantage over someone who couldn't, that's not what free health care for everyone is/should be about!

People should't be allowed to abuse/manipulate the system like that, if they are really that concerned then no one is stopping them from going fully private and if they can't afford that then join the queue like everyone else!
People shouldn't be allowed to jump NHS queues by effectively taking money away from the NHS and going private, that's simply selfish and immoral imho.

No doubt loads of semi-wealthy hypercondriac's have done this over the years and helped increase the waiting lists for lots of poor and vulnerable people who actually do need treatment :mad:
I'm surprised and angered that this behaviour is allowed, the NHS should be about health-care for ALL, money should absolutely not be allowed to give anyone an advantage!!

Caporegime
OP
I would be suspicious of any practitioner I was referred to from a solicitor. Not that this is anything against solicitors at all they are rather good at what they do and what they are trained to do. However, they are not trained to determine what the best course of action is for a client's health.

They are fully qualified physios, if that's what you mean, for what that counts for anyway, they have to be in order to supply admissible medical data to the insurance companies for the claim.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That shouldn't have been allowed imo, the fact you could afford the £80 gave you an unfair advantage over someone who couldn't, that's not what free health care for everyone is/should be about!

People should't be allowed to abuse/manipulate the system like that, if they are really that concerned then no one is stopping them from going fully private and if they can't afford that then join the queue like everyone else!
People shouldn't be allowed to jump NHS queues by effectively taking money away from the NHS and going private, that's simply selfish and immoral imho.

No doubt loads of semi-wealthy hypercondriac's have done this over the years and helped increase the waiting lists for lots of poor and vulnerable people who actually do need treatment :mad:
I'm surprised and angered that this behaviour is allowed, the NHS should be about health-care for ALL, money should absolutely not be allowed to give anyone an advantage!!

I am well under the official poverty line. I manage because I don't drink, don't smoke, don't go out much and don't have a car. At the time, I was worse off and I borrowed the £80.

Your description of me as one of these "semi-wealthy hypocondriac's" (sic) is merely a reflection of your own gibbering ignorance.

I'd also like you to explain why you think that not using NHS resources constitutes taking money away from the NHS and why you think that not using NHS resources increases the waiting list for NHS resources.

Money always gives an advantage. That's what it's for. It's a representation of ownership of resources and therefore a representation of power. I chose to assign what little spare money I had to repaying the £80 I borrowed rather than, for example, smoking and drinking it. Your semi-literate tirade is irrational and based on ignorance.

Back
Top Bottom