Costco any good?

Soldato
Costco offers good prices for quality products. If you want cheap garbage there are cheaper places.

Yeah those garbage Class A British sourced chicken breasts are really terrible, you're right. Post below you (#32) seems to agree that most supermarkets can offer the same thing cheaper

Soldato
Yeah those garbage Class A British sourced chicken breasts are really terrible, you're right. Post below you (#32) seems to agree that most supermarkets can offer the same thing cheaper

I think if you look at both D.P.'s replies it points towards him being US based, pretty sure he can't get Class A British chicken over there but I agree with him, all meat I have bought from Costco is far superior to most of the rubbish sold in supermarkets (I buy my chicken from Musclefoods now though).

I've been a member for 5 years now and I've never once thought it's not value for money although you can after 11 months go to CS desk and say you don't think it's worth it they will refund your full year fee.

Only credit card you can use is a Amex as they have a partnership with them (it doesn't have to be a Costco Amex card either) but any debit card can be used (as long as the name on the card is the same as the name on the membership I believe).

Tyres and petrol are big savings, as mentioned the tyres for my car are nearly £10 cheaper each and petrol is 5p a litre cheaper than the nearby Tesco's.

Someone also mentioned the Kirkland washing powder, since buying 1 on our 1st trip we're only halfway down our second tub in 5 years!! but there is only myself and the wife, if you have kids it disappears a lot more quickly (missus sister has 4 kids and uses 2 tubs a year).

I've only found offer bottles of spirits cheaper but beer and wine seem to be more expensive than from the supermarkets although as mentioned they don't seem to do cheap non-discript bottles of wine like most supermarkets.

Soldato
I've been a few times recently, not a lot for us to buy when compared with the supermarket, all the stuff we regularly use works out cheaper to get in the supermarkets for similar quality, such as stuff like fruit and veg, exception being we got a big bag of potatoes which was resaonably priced. Got 24 tins of baked beans the other week as they worked out a lot cheaper something like £8. Using it to get the cat litter we use which works out a bit cheaper. I don't think the meat is worth it for us, with the exception of the big packs of bacon, because I go to a local meat market shop which does decent beef mince reasonably price, and 5kg of decent chicken breats for £20. Another thing we buy a lot of is bottles of pepsi, which work out just short of £1 a bottle, which is usually the lowest you can get in supermarkets.

Probably going to get my next set of tyres from there, hope the petrol station they're building has 99RON.

Soldato
As somewhere to do a weekly shop I agree with the general consensus that things like everyday food can be had for cheaper on high street supermarkets. However, there are IMO benefits of Costco; cheap fuel, Michelin tyres (when on offer) warranty especially on electrical goods is second to none (others items too), customer service, special offers for one off items eg garden things etc, food at the cafe, fresh pizzas, custom made birthday cakes, bulk buying good quality meat, deserts and pastries too. We go about once a month or so often to just have a browse but sometimes still end up with a boot full. Also agree that though sometimes items are a little more expensive, quality is a lot better especially with food.

Associate
As somewhere to do a weekly shop I agree with the general consensus that things like everyday food can be had for cheaper on high street supermarkets. However, there are IMO benefits of Costco; cheap fuel, Michelin tyres (when on offer) warranty especially on electrical goods is second to none (others items too), customer service, special offers for one off items eg garden things etc, food at the cafe, fresh pizzas, custom made birthday cakes, bulk buying good quality meat, deserts and pastries too. We go about once a month or so often to just have a browse but sometimes still end up with a boot full. Also agree that though sometimes items are a little more expensive, quality is a lot better especially with food.

No fuel station at our local :(

TS7

TS7

Soldato
It depends on what you require and whether Costco offers good deals on it. We use it for:

- Toilet Roll (always an offer on either Andrex or another brand of triple quilted)
- Chia Seeds are much cheaper than anywhere else
- Big tubs of almond butter are about the same price as a small one from H&B
- Manuka Honey - get two pots for about the same price as one from the high street
- Dozen assorted Krispy Kremes £8.90
- Cinnabons and other assorted pastries and cakes are very very reasonably priced.
- Buying household cleaning products in bulk when on offer.
- Coconut water
- Condiments

I wouldn't touch their fruit and veg, it's all comically large, they must be receive some super-strength drugs :p

Then you get lots of random offers on e.g garden equipment, CCTV, televisions etc. It's well worth the membership fee.

Soldato
Well despite what I said above, I am quite interested. I see the 'qualifying criteria' for membership is

Current or Retired Employee of:

• Banking / Finance
  • Local Government
  • Fire / Rescue Service
  • Post Office
  • Airlines
  • Education
  • Police Force
  • Civil Service / Armed Forces
  • Medical / Health Service
  • Insurance
OR

Qualified as:

• Qualified / Certified / Chartered Accountant
  • Chartered Architect

• Doctors (MD) / Dentist / Optician / Pharmacist
  • Chartered Surveyor

• Solicitor / Barrister / Magistrate / Advocate
  • Chartered Engineer / Civil etc
The only one of these I'll fit as is when I qualify as a chartered engineer in hopefully about a year's time. Is there any other loophole people use?

Soldato
The only one of these I'll fit as is when I qualify as a chartered engineer in hopefully about a year's time. Is there any other loophole people use?

I got a second card from my partner, as I don't qualify at all. Don't know why those criteria exist tbh, I earn twice what my partner does, and surely they're in the buisiness of making money, so opening up membership to everyone will open it up to more customers. Only reason I can think is, if more people get membership, there will be more instances of people going in to get their mates stuff, reducing potential of getting new members and fee's.

Associate
Forgot to mention, if you get nothing else from there, get their chicken nuggets. I'm not a massive nugget fan, but they are the best you will ever have hands down. Proper lumps of chicken breast

Caporegime
Well despite what I said above, I am quite interested. I see the 'qualifying criteria' for membership is

Current or Retired Employee of:

• Banking / Finance
  • Local Government
  • Fire / Rescue Service
  • Post Office
  • Airlines
  • Education
  • Police Force
  • Civil Service / Armed Forces
  • Medical / Health Service
  • Insurance
OR

Qualified as:

• Qualified / Certified / Chartered Accountant
  • Chartered Architect
  • Doctors (MD) / Dentist / Optician / Pharmacist
  • Chartered Surveyor
  • Solicitor / Barrister / Magistrate / Advocate
  • Chartered Engineer / Civil etc

What the **** is this all about? How do they justify their restrictions? To keep plebs out? Doesn't make sense, more customers = more business, restricting people is just going to cut profits :confused:

Soldato
What the **** is this all about? How do they justify their restrictions? To keep plebs out? Doesn't make sense, more customers = more business, restricting people is just going to cut profits :confused:
See post #52. To add, I guess it makes people feel an air of exclusivity, which given human's psychological approach shopping when they think they are getting a bargain or a deal, will definitely drive sales

Associate
We used my partners business to get membership. We gave them a business invoice (you could easily create a fake one) and a phonebill registered to my partner. That was it. No checking to make sure the business was legit, just took membership payment and that was that.

Caporegime
All the things you guys say it's cheaper for you can get out of B & M for dirt cheap.

Dishwasher tabs, I got finish ones a 110 pack will last me years out of B & M for £7.99.

Surf 70 washes for £7.99

Loo roll 18 rolls for £2.99 - I believe this is cheaper than any cash and carry for similar quality stuff. 18 rolls should last a month and for less than £3.

most of the stuff in B & M is cheap crap but it's great for household cleaning products, loo roll, etc. Good for cheap high quality paint too. you just need to know what to avoid and what not to. their furniture for example the majority of it is cheap crap however some of their tables are proper solid wood for cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom