Costco any good?

Associate
What the **** is this all about? How do they justify their restrictions? To keep plebs out? Doesn't make sense, more customers = more business, restricting people is just going to cut profits :confused:

The restriction is council related. I'm not sure on the ins and outs but it's not by Costco's choice.

Associate
Morning all,

I have the option to join Costco, is it any good as I have never been. Nearest one is about 35 mins away so not somewhere we would go that regularly. Or is it just a place to visit every other month to buy a lot of stuff in bulk? I remember someone who I worked with used to bring in these massive tray of pastries and muffins from there do they still do those?

Tony

Costco is LIFE! They have amazing prices, and their in house brand, "Kirkland" is actually as good as if not better quality than many other well known brands while being reasonably priced. Yes, everything is bulk. Want 6 rolls of toilet paper? Go to another store. But if you want 36 rolls, and you want a good price, go to COSTCO. Same goes for paper towels. Both of these products, by Kirkland, are exceptional quality and very absorbent.

Also fantastic are the Kirkland baked goods. Their croissants are the best store bought croissants you can get where I live, and they are very affordable. I can get 16 croissants from COSTCO for $8 or I can get 6, inferior quality (by a lot actually) croissants for $6.25 from my local grocer. The choice is obvious.

They have massive selection. They have good prices. The only drawback is the fact that everything is size extra large. For a bachelor living alone it could be argued that the size of the products there are too big for someone living alone, unless you use an entire roll of toilet paper everything you evacuate your bowels, or you like eating 6 pounds of lasagna in one sitting.

They also have excellent prices on electronics.

We buy paper towels and toilet paper at Costco 100 or so units at a time. I have no idea why we do this but thats what the lady of the house wants and I know better than to argue at this point. There are only two of us living in this home. I have no idea why we need to have 100 rolls of toilet paper in stock at a time but hey, we do... so....

Soldato
I was a member for a couple of years, there wasn't anything I really needed and I ended up just going now and again to try and justify the expense of being a member and wandering round buying nothing.

I think the fact several people in this thread highlight Costco as a place to buy toilet paper says it all.

Soldato
Costco is LIFE! They have amazing prices, and their in house brand, "Kirkland" is actually as good as if not better quality than many other well known brands while being reasonably priced. Yes, everything is bulk. Want 6 rolls of toilet paper? Go to another store. But if you want 36 rolls, and you want a good price, go to COSTCO. Same goes for paper towels. Both of these products, by Kirkland, are exceptional quality and very absorbent.

Also fantastic are the Kirkland baked goods. Their croissants are the best store bought croissants you can get where I live, and they are very affordable. I can get 16 croissants from COSTCO for $8 or I can get 6, inferior quality (by a lot actually) croissants for $6.25 from my local grocer. The choice is obvious.

They have massive selection. They have good prices. The only drawback is the fact that everything is size extra large. For a bachelor living alone it could be argued that the size of the products there are too big for someone living alone, unless you use an entire roll of toilet paper everything you evacuate your bowels, or you like eating 6 pounds of lasagna in one sitting.

They also have excellent prices on electronics.

We buy paper towels and toilet paper at Costco 100 or so units at a time. I have no idea why we do this but thats what the lady of the house wants and I know better than to argue at this point. There are only two of us living in this home. I have no idea why we need to have 100 rolls of toilet paper in stock at a time but hey, we do... so....

Is this in store only, or online too? When I look at their prices online they look no better and mostly worse than other places e.g. Amazon, Argos etc.

Can you provide any examples?

Vore

V

Vore

Buy my beef and chicken from costco instead of tesco, I like it. Spend too much money there, but its more impulse buys then again I generally dont care about value, if I like something I buy it.

Associate
Costco keeps me alive over here, literally the only place to buy imported meats and cheeses. Also picked up our tv from there, and quite a bit of clothing.

That said, I never shopped there in the UK, and probably wouldn't if I moved back.

Associate
Just keep on eye on HUKD for any deals that are worth purchasing at Costco, they get posted every few days, it's only cheap if you need them though.

They have some electrical services there but they are few and far vet ween in my opinion. Not bought them as I prefer to go with a retailer with proven good customer service especially when spending thousands such as a TV.

Associate
Thanks,

Will give it a try. Not big drinkers but if they have bulk buys of nappies, wipes and formula that would be handy as we have our 2nd child on the way at the end of august. Boring stuff like household stuff would be handy to get. Would force me to arrange the garage.

Nappies and wipes are often way cheaper, but you have to buy when they're on offer e.g if you see size 3, buy them for the future even if you don't need them yet. This is a common thing with Costco - they'll have limited availability items so don't "leave it for next time" as it'll be gone.

I don't ever recall seeing baby formula there.

Alcohol isn't really too cheap there unless you buy their own brand. Soft drinks are much cheaper. Meat is usually competitive with supermarkets but of better quality imo.

Our regular buys are meat (split into bags and freeze), Parmesan, coffee, detergent, wipes, fruit juice, binliners, ginger beer, cat litter, toilet/kitchen rolls. Other stuff as and when.

Caporegime
Nappies and wipes are often way cheaper, but you have to buy when they're on offer e.g if you see size 3, buy them for the future even if you don't need them yet. This is a common thing with Costco - they'll have limited availability items so don't "leave it for next time" as it'll be gone.

I don't ever recall seeing baby formula there.

Alcohol isn't really too cheap there unless you buy their own brand. Soft drinks are much cheaper. Meat is usually competitive with supermarkets but of better quality imo.

Our regular buys are meat (split into bags and freeze), Parmesan, coffee, detergent, wipes, fruit juice, binliners, ginger beer, cat litter, toilet/kitchen rolls. Other stuff as and when.

Again most of that stuff you can find in B & M and for cheaper. Bar chicken, cheese and fruit juice.

Bin liners I spent about £2 on some last year in there and I still have over half of them left. I use about 1 a day too. I did get them in their clearance section stupidly cheap for 5 large rolls.

Baby wipes again cost pennies anywhere. If you guys are going to say this x is cheap in costco at least give pricing. UK as well don't know why people are banging on about the USA stores. I imagine it is good over there but in the UK it isn't the same thing and this is a UK forum.

What is the cost of their fuel in the UK? and I need to counter in the fact it's a 20 minute drive 1 way to get to one. Whereas ASDA and B & M is 5 mins away and on my way home so i don't need to do a detour from the normal route i take every day. It also has a membership fee too. Add all that up I would for it to make any sense need to turn my whole attic into storage space and buy in bulk whenever their is a sale on. I'd also need to sell the car and buy a range rover and when I factor that in I would never make any savings.

Soldato
Forgot to add the Penn State pretzels are in huge bags for like £2, massive jars of Skippy and huge tubs of Ainsley Harriett spicey cous cous, we also buy tuna and mackerel as these are often on offer but also around half the price of tesco etc.

Last time there I got 200 Twinings teabags for £10 and that was half price of them on offer in Morrisons, we are going saturday and while there we'll fill the car up as it saves about £3 a tank full.

Soldato
Got the wifes engagement ring from costco, unlike the high street the certificate values it higher than the purchase price by a considerable amount. All the high street ones were valued a lot less than the purchase price.

Soldato
Went there yesterday, bought a variety of things; cat litter, eneloop batteries & charger, USB 13a sockets, beer, cans of coke, frozen duck, coffee, and decided to try some of their meat, so got some Aberdeen Angus Ribeye steaks, steaks were nice but I dunno if I can justify £25 for 4 steaks regularly.

Back
Top Bottom