Could a GPU cause a System Crash?

Soldato
Main question in title. After about 30 minutes in Hitman the system hangs and then requires a reboot to solve. Had other issues with my Mobo so got a replacement from over clockers today and it's still happening. Ram also passed all tests. CPU seems to pass all stress tests. So the only thing that I think it could be is my Xfire 7970s or PSU ( could still be my CPU, but its not OC'd and temps seem excellent).

thanks,

James

Last edited:
Associate
It could very well be your gpu, I have installed a new 7950 on a previously perfectly working system for it now to crash every 10 minutes

Don't rule out driver error especially if you have come from NVIDIA

Soldato
OP
It could very well be your gpu, I have installed a new 7950 on a previously perfectly working system for it now to crash every 10 minutes

Don't rule out driver error especially if you have come from NVIDIA

It's a brand new system =/

Any idea how I could test what's at fault for the crash? As during stress test I get good readings.

Associate
Strange thats what I was playing today and having similar issue with 7950. I'm suspecting psu as all temps seem fine, in two minds wether to order a new psu or send back card.

Fergin

Caporegime
I overclocked my old GTX480 and it was stable with furmark, kombuster etc, but occasionally the system would get a random BSOD or lock up while gaming. Without the overclock everything was fine all of the time.

Is your GPU overclocked?

Caporegime
It isn't the PSU. I would try some other drivers for your GPUs. 12.8 iirc was quite a decent set. I assume you have a temp monitor running and can cofirm heat isn't the issue?

Back
Top Bottom