Could anyone tell me if this is a word

Permabanned
Maybe it's some word only old farts use and has fallen out of common use, so therefore has been removed from dictionaries?

I can't say I've heard the word encounting myself though.

Man of Honour

I've got my distinct suspicions that they've simply made a mistake there, they are trying to take the word "encounter" and make an action of it I believe - this should lead to "encountering" rather than dropping the "er" from it before adding the "ing". It wouldn't be the first or last time that there will be a failure in the proof reading section. It is I suppose just about possible that there is a specific use of the word in astrophysics but that means that it can only be correct in a very specific context.

Soldato
I've got my distinct suspicions that they've simply made a mistake there, they are trying to take the word "encounter" and make an action of it I believe - this should lead to "encountering" rather than dropping the "er" from it before adding the "ing". It wouldn't be the first or last time that there will be a failure in the proof reading section. It is I suppose just about possible that there is a specific use of the word in astrophysics but that means that it can only be correct in a very specific context.

My thoughts exactly.

Finding it in a book doesn't mean it's correct. It merely means the book wasn't proof read well enough.

Soldato
It does seem to be used occasionally in physics as a replacement for 'encountering'. But I don't believe it is correct to do so.

Soldato
If it aint in the dictionary it doesnt mean it aint a word. For example im from somerset and we got all sorts of words that is not in there.
Gert
Fostering
t'isnt
t'is
t'wasnt

All you non somerset people see if you can make out the above:)

Soldato
Maybe someone thinks that the verb for having an encounter should be something other than 'encounter'.
A bit like the pupil of a mentor being a 'mentee' which believe it or not I've seen used seriously.

Back
Top Bottom