Could humans ever live harmoniously

Caporegime
Not while money makes the world go round.

This but replace money with any resource that increases your sexual selection.

Even disregarding race, colour, nationality or to make a simpler example say all men look the same they will still always compete for the resource and it will never be done in a fair manner.

It's impossible in my opinion as it's fundamental male biology so unless over thousands of years it's something that we "grow out of" we're stuck in a world where people have an innate desire to step on others.

Caporegime
when we move beyond such things as survival and greed then yes .. but it will take another 1000yrs at least .. problem is we don't have that much time left

ever notice that the people starting wars aren't the ones who are preoccupied with basic "survival"?

Soldato
I can't sleep, too much work on so i digressed and started pondering the above...

So, what do you reckon?

Could humans ever reach a level of intelligence, emotional or otherwise which meant working together for the greater good prevailed? A world where science trumped religion. Where narrow minded us and them attitutes, nationalism and so forth were no more?

I for one dont hold up much hope :p I dont understand the psychology behind it(feel free to enlighten) but i believe humans, the masses specifically are inherently drawn towards silos no matter how big or small that they can feel a sense of belonging to. Wether that be religion, a country, a football club... perhaps its a pack thing.

Random and slightly ridiculous chain of thought, i know!

I do, everyday of my life. Not exactly difficult to not be awful to other people.

Too many scumbags / idiots is the problem with the world today.

Associate
ever notice that the people starting wars aren't the ones who are preoccupied with basic "survival"?
survival comes in many forms from joe blogs trying to earn a wage .. to running for your life from who ever ..
wars are just there to keep the sheeple from seeing the whole picture ,, keep us hungry keep us entertained it's all the same

Soldato
I can't sleep, too much work on so i digressed and started pondering the above...

So, what do you reckon?

Could humans ever reach a level of intelligence, emotional or otherwise which meant working together for the greater good prevailed? A world where science trumped religion. Where narrow minded us and them attitutes, nationalism and so forth were no more?

I for one dont hold up much hope :p I dont understand the psychology behind it(feel free to enlighten) but i believe humans, the masses specifically are inherently drawn towards silos no matter how big or small that they can feel a sense of belonging to. Wether that be religion, a country, a football club... perhaps its a pack thing.

Random and slightly ridiculous chain of thought, i know!

Star Trek TNG.

Except they do still battle the aliens. Should you extend the hope to the whole universe?

Caporegime
I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Also, for as long as there are men, there will be war.
You're saying we could be like the aliens from Independence Day. Moving from planet to planet consuming all natural resources and exterminating all life. Basically bleeding planets dry before we move onto the next one.

Raises the question that if we ever do get the technology to move to another planet, will we do exactly the same there, and keep moving and doing it for the remainder of the universe. Maybe in billions of years, we will eventually be the ones to blame for the destruction of the universe?

Caporegime
Raises the question that if we ever do get the technology to move to another planet, will we do exactly the same there, and keep moving and doing it for the remainder of the universe. Maybe in billions of years, we will eventually be the ones to blame for the destruction of the universe?

No, unless we miraculously figure out a way to travel anywhere near the speed of light, and even then it would still be infeasible to spread across the whole universe.

Associate
No, unless we miraculously figure out a way to travel anywhere near the speed of light, and even then it would still be infeasible to spread across the whole universe.

I understand it as when going to the speed of light for the traveller you are anywhere instantly. There is no time.

Permabanned
Doubt it, sadly.

I'd like to think of space as the great 'unifier', but I think it's becoming increasingly more apparent that we'll not be able to leave the worst of our habits here on earth.

Soldato
at a national level maybe, once we get this notion of capitalism being the right way of doing things over us and figure out a better method that doesn't rely on someone being on the bottom getting shafted. we need to have everyone on equal footing before we can really start negotiating a worldwide government.

at the level of ordinary people likely not for a long time, there's always going to be jealousy and all the crimes that leads to.

the biggest hurdle to space travel methinks is getting people to do things not for their own benefit, or the benefit of their immediate family, but for the benefit of generations far in the future, exploring the solar system is going to take such a massively long time let alone further afield.

Associate
I understand it as when going to the speed of light for the traveller you are anywhere instantly. There is no time.

Only issue is you need no mass to go that fast. But if you got to 90% speed of light time slows to about 43% for you. So over a 10 year period for an observer you'd only age 4 years. 99% and 7 years for an observer is 1 for you.

Associate
As mentioned by a few others I think it would take some huge end of the world scenario e.g. Independence Day. But even if we survived we'd probably just regress back again in a few years/decades.

Back
Top Bottom