Could Low Battery Cause This Glow Plug Fault?

Soldato
My car is a Skoda Superb Mk3 1.6l Diesel.

On Saturday I left the interior light on.
I drove it Tuesday... didn't notice.
I next drove it Friday and noticed before starting. Turned it off. It turned over for longer than usual, but started. (Usually is pretty instant)

I'm not sure when I noticed, maybe driving home, but the check engine light was on.
I checked a couple of days later when I found my ODBII dongle and it told me -

P0684 [0x0684]
Glow plug control module to ECM/PCM communication error - range/performance problem

04976 [0x001370]
P068400: Glow Plug Control Module to PCM Comm.Circuit Range/Performance

I reset the warning but noticed initially it wouldn't start, turning over and over. I Turned off, turned on and then it started instantly but the check engine light was on again (If not instantly, shortly after or maybe the drive home) and the dash gave me a warning about battery being low. The drive home it started instantly.

This morning I put the battery on charge, then called a local garage and booked it in for Thursday.
I've just taken it off charge and reset the warning again. It has just started three times instantly with no warning light coming on.

Tomorrow I will use it for the gym as usual and Wednesday I will drive 1.5 hours to work and a similar length home.

I guess I will see how it is over the next two days, but I was curious... all that back story to then ask, could the error be related to a low battery? I'm hoping I can get away with not needing the garage, or is it best to let them have a look over it?

Thanks.

Absolutely 100% the battery. Probably on its last legs and the light pushed it over the edge. Give it a good charge to see if t recovers, if not just replace it. Life's too short to fanny about with dying batteries.

I think I replaced the battery in March 2023.

Having said that, I found an email from the service saying I needed one (at £270ish) and I thought I'd found one myself at closer to £90. I thought I'd ordered it and fit it myself, but I can't find a receipt email, so maybe I never got round to ordering it...

Probably battery, but I had a similar issue a few years ago and it was down to corroded connection and/or grounding connection - I'm not entirely sure as a friend, who works in the trade, had a poke around after work and sorted it with a vague explanation.

Hmm, if I select EXIDE then £250, if I select LION, the exact same "AGM Stop/Start 096 70AH 760CCA Car Battery - 3 Year Guarantee" is £136...

This is on Euro Car Parts. I don't think it includes fitting.

I can't remember the exact details now but most car batteries aside from Yuasa and Exide are basically the same battery made by companies owned by Brookfield Business Partners (or was the case not sure who now - some Google results say Johnson Controls but I think that was older info) and then badged based on grading with the better quality ones going to brands like Bosch and Varta and lower binning going to other names like Lion, IIRC Exide also make some batteries for Bosch.

A lot of VAG cars have a EFB battery from the factory rather than a AGM. AGM is a better battery and either way a new battery needs coded in but particularly changing to AGM as it changes the charging profile to suit AGM batteries.

Last edited:
Oh really, you would say spend the extra. Is there a recommended brand?

Personally I tend to buy Varta and failing that Yuasa but that is just me. You can't really go wrong with car batteries outside of noname brands but you'll probably get a few years more out of a better name than something like Lion.

Oh really, you would say spend the extra. Is there a recommended brand?

Always yes, especially if keeping the car for a few years. Varta/Yuasa/Bosch are ones I go for generally. They seem to last well and come with good warranties. The extra cost might sting but when it could potentially last you twice as long as a cheap brand, and lessens the risk of you being stranded somewhere it's worth it.

You could have start/stop mapped out and use a regular battery. The cost of batteries for it make it a bit of a false economy and they dont last any longer. You also don't need to bother with the "programming in" nonsense then either.

Last edited:
@AndyCr15

When I replaced the battery on my Volvo which has an AGM battery, believe it or not the cheapest decent battery was the official Volvo one from the local Volvo dealer, which is normally the last place I would look.

I just fitted it myself.

Back
Top Bottom