• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could use some expert help with a bricked GTX 680

Associate
Hi all

I have just built a watercooled SLI system - my dream PC. Finally had the money to burn. However - turned out I needed to spend a bit more than I planned to as I had a mishap with one of the 680s :( Knocked off a few resistors at the bottom of the card, just above the PCI-E connector.

Got a couple of pics showing the damage and a comparison pic from a non damaged card. Pics are a bit blurry but the difference is easy to see:

Damage

No damage

EDIT: I finally figured out why those components got dislodged. When I removed the stock cooler I pressed the cooler from one side to loosen the thermal pads. I did this from the top of the cards, down towards the pci connector. This caused the cooler to hit those components and dislodge them.

Any tips on possible repair options?

Last edited:
Soldato
Those resistors are capacitors, that's what the C means, not that that is relevant.

How did you knock them off ? and do you have them ?

Associate
FWIW, I managed to once repair a monitor by replacing a couple of blow capacitors despite never having used a soldering iron before or even knowing anything about electronics whatsoever :eek:

You might be able to replace them yourself if you can find them online. I bet they're on the auction site.

Caporegime
As the cards are expensive, I would look to get it repaired professionally if you are not overly confident with a soldering iron. I sent my laptop to be repaired after the power point got damaged after the lead got ripped out. It cost me £70 but was worth it.

I will get their number if you like and see if they can repair it?

Associate
OP
Can't see pics. Wants me to sign into google.docs.

Should be available with no sign-in - I can access them with no sign in in another browser. The capacitors are very small - as in 1-2 mm size. Not easy to solder but I would be willing to give it a go :)

Jakus - capacitors, check. I have the 2 small ones but not the big one - will fine comb the carpet tomorrow morning to see if I can find the last one. I have no idea how it happened - but obviously I must have knocked them hard when I installed the waterblock.

Gregster - yes I would pay to get it repaired. Haven't done any extensive google for repair guys yet so if you have a candidate then please pm me :)

Soldato
Don't go to bed until you find them :D

Simple repair, superglue (small spec) the component in place (get no glue on the solder pads)

Get some electronic flux and put the smallest speck on the solder pad.
Get hold of a low wattage soldering ion with an almost needle tipped bit and touch the pad until the solder flows 1-2 sec, then do the other end etc..

Hope this experience saves others, simply touching and holding these surface mount components is enough to knock them off !

Associate
OP
Don't go to bed until you find them :D

Expert advice :) Happened Wednesday and I wasnt aware of it until the day after. Tomorrow in daylight I'll comb the carpet. Havent been any vacuum cleaners near the place so if I'm lucky...

Thank you so much for the soldering info - precisely what I was looking for.

Associate
OP
I have the 2 small ones - and I know where they go. Only the big one is missing - c92 apparently. Gotta be possible to find out what type that is... :) On to google.

Permabanned
Man that sucks, i would have RMA and said they came like that lol, that is BAD LUCK!!

Still if you cant fix before soldering and stuff, RMA and said the card came like this?

Associate
OP
Looking at youtube vids on soldering surface mount capacitors - looks fun and difficult and my eyesight is not what it used to be. This IS going to be a challenge. Still haven't found out what the specs are for the missing one though.

Attached another pic from a high res pcb shot pointing to the missing capacitor.

Link

Thanks for that link wazza300 - defo a way to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
Expert advice :) Happened Wednesday and I wasnt aware of it until the day after. Tomorrow in daylight I'll comb the carpet. Havent been any vacuum cleaners near the place so if I'm lucky...

Thank you so much for the soldering info - precisely what I was looking for.

No problem, All these surface mount components were not quite as small when I was an Electronic engineer, but if your eyes are good and you take your time you will be fine ;)

All this new stuff uses unleaded solder which is harder to work with and leaves a more brittle joint, the flux should help but if you struggle, see if you can get some 60/40 leaded solder, that will sort you out, just remember to use as little heat as possible also if that big capacitor is polarised, make sure you put it the right way around.

Soldato
As the cards are expensive, I would look to get it repaired professionally if you are not overly confident with a soldering iron. I sent my laptop to be repaired after the power point got damaged after the lead got ripped out. It cost me £70 but was worth it.

I will get their number if you like and see if they can repair it?

That really wasn't worth it. Replacing a broken laptop power socket is one of the easiest soldering jobs you could ever do. The charging sockets cost a few pounds and it'll take about an hour to repair.

Soldato
That really wasn't worth it. Replacing a broken laptop power socket is one of the easiest soldering jobs you could ever do. The charging sockets cost a few pounds and it'll take about an hour to repair.

It's simple for people like us but there seems to be very few around here with even very basic mechanical/electronic skills....I bet we could say exactly the same about a leaking tap washer, sign of the times I guess.

Back
Top Bottom