• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could use some expert help with a bricked GTX 680

Don
To be honest, anyone who recommends anyone to do any sort of electrical repairs is treading a fine line. Especially if the person is not trained or competent in that field.

Well that is how the professional world see's it, not some unknown on a forum.

Soldato
To be honest, anyone who recommends anyone to do any sort of electrical repairs is treading a fine line. Especially if the person is not trained or competent in that field.

Well that is how the professional world see's it, not some unknown on a forum.

Yeah, give it a few more years and the "professional world" will see to it new computers are welded shut ! :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Been reading a bit and watching vids on youtube and will likely attempt the repair myself - it looks interesting and fun and I think I can do it.

Currently slowly putting a shopping list together and it will likely take me some time before I'll attempt it but I'll report back here when I do.

It is challenging - no doubt about it. The scale of the components is one element but the area where I need to solder also have some non dislodged components that are very close to where I need to do the work.

SO a practise board is definitely a must and that can tell me if I will be able to go through with it as well.

Caporegime
If you want an old GPU that works for practice I'm sure I have a few old PCIE NV Quatro cards at work, you could have one for postage. Be sure to take pics and log your progress OP! Good luck :)

Very nice gesture and a good way to practice :)

I am getting lost too, all I was originally pointing out was that if you are unsure of doing something it maybe best to leave it to someone who is!

What are you asking?

I was confused also.

Soldato
Been reading a bit and watching vids on youtube and will likely attempt the repair myself - it looks interesting and fun and I think I can do it.

Currently slowly putting a shopping list together and it will likely take me some time before I'll attempt it but I'll report back here when I do.

It is challenging - no doubt about it. The scale of the components is one element but the area where I need to solder also have some non dislodged components that are very close to where I need to do the work.

SO a practise board is definitely a must and that can tell me if I will be able to go through with it as well.

The hardest part is keeping the little buggers in place, that's why I said a small spot of superglue or cut a small V in an old lolly stick or coffee stirer , you will not have any problems as the repair is dead easy to get to being at the bottom of the board.

Soldato
I am getting lost too, all I was originally pointing out was that if you are unsure of doing something it maybe best to leave it to someone who is!

Sounded like you were suggesting its not a good idea to give advice for fear of litigation to me....and I have a big problem with all that crap !

Associate
OP
Thanks for the offer - got a few old boards myself that I can use for that. I'll try to make a "build log" of this - as you pointed out, it may be useful for others.

Soldato
Thanks for the offer - got a few old boards myself that I can use for that. I'll try to make a "build log" of this - as you pointed out, it may be useful for others.

I'm still interested to know how you managed to knock off the capacitors ? You certainly don't come across as a careless type.

Don
Sounded like you were suggesting its not a good idea to give advice for fear of litigation to me....and I have a big problem with all that crap !

Eh, I was in no way implying litigation. We're we not talking electronics, I don't know where you got the legal aspect from.

As I said, if someone is not confident in doing something it can save a lot of potential trouble to get someone who does to do it for a small fee.

The part I think you got the litigation from was referring to loss of property or worse by dodgy fixes. I did not mean by law but rather a loss to ones self!

Soldato
Eh, I was in no way implying litigation. We're we not talking electronics, I don't know where you got the legal aspect from.

As I said, if someone is not confident in doing something it can save a lot of potential trouble to get someone who does to do it for a small fee.

The part I think you got the litigation from was referring to loss of property or worse by dodgy fixes. I did not mean by law but rather a loss to ones self!

It was the
"To be honest, anyone who recommends anyone to do any sort of electrical repairs is treading a fine line"

and

"Well that is how the professional world see's it"

No problem, but you should see how it came across reading your quotes :cool:

Don
It was the
"To be honest, anyone who recommends anyone to do any sort of electrical repairs is treading a fine line"

and

"Well that is how the professional world see's it"

No problem, but you should see how it came across reading your quotes :cool:

Yeah no problem, I suppose you could read that from it :)

bru

bru

Soldato
Just to go back to the £70 for a laptop repair for a minute. That would be 2 hours work (couldn't guarantee to get it dome in an hour so that's 2 hours work) so its only £35 an hour without the price of parts, not bad at all for a skilled job. You certainly would be paying about the same for a plumber call out or electrician.

Caporegime
Completely off topic...I wonder how many would completely strip their roof, re-felt it, baton it and then tile/slate it and then do the lead flashings on a chimney breast or any kind of parapet wall? Or infact, get rid of that no longer used chimney and drop all the bricks out down through the house and then make good on the walls? Very easy jobs :p

Or would get an engine failure to such a degree that it required a complete engine rebuild and do it themselves? Again, very easy when you know how :p

Back
Top Bottom