Couple of Questions about SATA-II

Soldato
Hi there,

I have a couple of questions about SATA-II.

I have read the sticky at the top and what I gather is, that if i have 1 HDD, whether it is SATA-I (1.5Gbs) or SATA-II (3.0Gbs) it will not make a difference unless you have NCQ and/or 16MB Cache, from which you will get a small performance increase.

Is that correct?

Does anyone know if my motherboard (DFI NF4 Ultra-D) supports SATA-II?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
To be honest you'll see very little difference between SATA1 & SATA2, between NCQ on or off or between 8Mb & 16Mb caches. The performance difference between drives comes from more fundamental differences - spindle speed or the density of data on the platters.

Your mobo does support SATA2.

Soldato
rpstewart said:
To be honest you'll see very little difference between SATA1 & SATA2, between NCQ on or off or between 8Mb & 16Mb caches. The performance difference between drives comes from more fundamental differences - spindle speed or the density of data on the platters.

Your mobo does support SATA2.
Exactly - the point I was trying to make in the sticky is that the ONLY performance increase you will see is from little things like cache and NCQ, IMO. The actual external transfer rate will not be noticeable at all IMO. Bursting might, but then again, burst is exactly that - burst. It lasts for a fraction of a second and only whilst it can read from the buffer (I would assume) as reading from the platter = read speed which we know will only be a max of 85MB/s at the fastest part of the disk anyway...

Back
Top Bottom