COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Soldato
Seems we've got COVID going around one of the departments at work the last few days but they've been keeping quiet about it, 2-3 people tested positive, because aside from aches and light hay fever like symptoms for a couple of days no one is really ill with it or needed time off - been trying to keep away from people none the less today though.

First few months of the pandemic he was actually coming out with some good stuff and was right on a few things ahead of the curve, but after that he seems to have jumped fully on the grifter bandwagon playing to his audience - in some ways can't blame him as he must have made serious bank from his YT channel.
I've noticed he hardly talks about long covid, which this is what many people these days will be dealing with.

I've not seen any videos about the treatments currently in the trial phase now.

Man of Honour
I've noticed he hardly talks about long covid, which this is what many people these days will be dealing with.

I have to wonder what the longer term effect of COVID is currently - people at work are quite blasé about it now as of late most people have very mild symptoms but I'm not sure that doesn't mean it doesn't come with longer term underlying effect none the less, at least for some people. Hard to say as things stand though.

Associate

It's down to the media and publics attention span being like a goldfish. It all gets pushed to the back because of some new story that just has to be plastered over the front pages.

Soldato
Just got my second dose, after getting hit for the first time June 23.

First dose was hell on earth. Throat like sandpaper, couldn't sleep for days, loss of appetite, smell and taste. Sinus headache. Only got relief when got some co-codomol to help me sleep and a throat numbing spray. I know exactly where I got it as well. Son brought it home from school and I forgot to take precautions in his room and breathed it in.

Second dose was bad in some ways. Shivering, feverish since Saturday. Sinus bad, throat not as bad this time. But man I don't want to keep getting this, it's much worse than any cold I've ever had.

Soldato
Amazes me how many times some of my friends have had this. Many of them now developed constant fatigue and pain constantly. It's almost like pretending it doesn't exist or its just the cold or flu isnt really working for them. Constant sickness from work and the self employed ones having to close down businesses and end up on benefits that the use to mock being on. Many families and friends coming to me asking how to deal with benefits etc. Make's me sad that the governments around the world have given up on ever sorting it. Seems to me its a let it rip and see how many get disabled as numbers are skyrocketing.

Soldato
FB memory.
It was 4 years ago yesterday that I came down with Covid. Only knew it was Covid after antibodies test in that summer. As that time govt website ran out of postal tests and the nearest two test centres were either Edgbaston cricket ground or East of England Showground - both 40-42 miles away. I struggled to hold a pen, so there was no way I could drive 80-84 mile round trip.

Move forward a year and there were 8-10 testing stations in a tenth of the distance!

Soldato
Wish I could go on some asthma related Covid research group. Before Covid - one reliever inhaler and one preventer.

After Covid- an additional preventer, a tablet at night and carry a steroids user card. Plus I had 4-5 courses of oral steroids. They are a bit like a course of antibiotics.

Man of Honour
Is the Pandemic officially over yet?

It just seems to have faded away without and formal announcement.

I'd say it is in a bit of a grey area currently - it isn't "profoundly" affecting human activities any more but we still need more time before it is clear it isn't just a seasonal lull and the impact is still far from negligible on the health services.

Frankly I think at least with any variant which has or does exist the people most vulnerable to it have either died or built up at least some immunity but I think we need to still be somewhat cautious as to the whole impact of the disease - I had a relatively mild case of it but took months to fully shake off the impact of it and still not 100% how I was before it just over a year later.

Soldato
I'm feeling a lot better now, except for the occasional coughing fit. Was nice to get outside the house yesterday for the first time. Last time was Saturday morning!

It has however impacted the other half.

This time my mother and sister advised me to take a mix of berocca and something else which is essentially b-vitamins to keep my energy up and obviously no idea how much it helped but hopefully it's behind me now.

I'll take any booster offered but had just missed the rollout of the new private ones, which arrive next month. I'll get one as soon as!

Man of Honour
Guess I've probably got COVID again - we've been having this throaty/hay fever like thing going around at work, couple of people have tested positive for COVID with it but most aren't, couple of people have fully lost sense of taste with it so seems like COVID, one person has had the full works fever, aches, fatigue, etc. and tested positive, I've had a prickly throat and sneezing a lot over the last couple of days but otherwise feel fine.

Soldato
New research in the New England medical journal reveals the effect of Covid on IQ. Its long being known Covid affects the brain, but these results paint a shocking picture

On average, people who have had covid at least once but soon recover with no further symptoms have 3 IQ points lower than someone who has never had covid.

Someone who has long covid scores 6 IQ points lower than someone who never had covid.

Someone who survived Covid but was hospitalised and then recovered comes in a full 10 IQ points lower than a person who's never had covid

The next part of the study is to determine if people's IQ score can ever recover to pre Covid levels or if the brain damage is permanent but we won't know the results for several more years.

Last edited:
Soldato
New research in the New England medical journal reveals the effect of Covid on IQ. Its long being known Covid affects the brain, but these results paint a shocking picture

On average, people who have had covid at least once but soon recover with no further symptoms have 3 IQ points lower than someone who has never had covid.

Someone who has long covid scores 6 IQ points lower than someone who never had covid.

Someone who survived Covid but was hospitalised and then recovered comes in a full 10 IQ points lower than a person who's never had covid

The next part of the study is to determine if people's IQ score can ever recover to pre Covid levels or if the brain damage is permanent but we won't know the results for several more years.

The study itself did mention that the global IQ deficits are attenuating and becoming less severe as the virus mutates and individual immunity begins to resist the virus (through vaccination or infection), with a suggestion that recovery back to baseline is entirely possible. 3 IQ points in the way that IQ is measured and scaled is basically a rounding error, so that's why the performance in the mild and short-lived infection groups were comparable to those in the no-covid groups.

In those with ongoing symptoms, where the deficits are markedly more frequent, recovery from those symptoms indicated a recovery of IQ. Also worth noting in that study they couldn't infer causality since testing pre and post infection wasn't able to be done.

So overall, its an interesting datapoint but for the average person with a mild infection I'd say things aren't looking too bad there.

Don
There's issues with the study itself, they don't compensate for a whole bunch of things that impact IQ and also the likelihood of covid issues (obesity being the stand out case).

The results also show that more vaccine doses was also associated with a slight drop in IQ in the supplementary data, but oddly enough they didn't publicise that. :cry:

Soldato

This certainly makes sense for a lot of the anti-vaxxers although I think they're a little conservative on the numbers for them

Soldato
Covid is giving society a mauling.

We're on top of the acute phase these days. But we're being slowly dragged into the swamp as we gradually become damaged.

I've never seen so many people low grade ill than in the last 12 months. Colds that drag on for weeks, when pre-covid we'd beat a cold within a few days.

Our immune systems are taking a beating.

Some people with long covid are noticing their bodies are low on either vitamins, minerals or gut bacteria.

Soldato
I've never seen so many people low grade ill than in the last 12 months. Colds that drag on for weeks, when pre-covid we'd beat a cold within a few days.

Our immune systems are taking a beating.

Some people with long covid are noticing their bodies are low on either vitamins, minerals or gut bacteria.
I've had something or various somethings through most of March, thought I was over it earlier this week, but suddenly felt rough again since yesterday afternoon.

I'm used to getting infections in March, happened most years for at least the last ten, but it's even more frustrating when I've been mostly housebound since Xmas and the only person coming in is my better half from work.

Soldato
The study itself did mention that the global IQ deficits are attenuating and becoming less severe as the virus mutates and individual immunity begins to resist the virus (through vaccination or infection), with a suggestion that recovery back to baseline is entirely possible. 3 IQ points in the way that IQ is measured and scaled is basically a rounding error, so that's why the performance in the mild and short-lived infection groups were comparable to those in the no-covid groups.

In those with ongoing symptoms, where the deficits are markedly more frequent, recovery from those symptoms indicated a recovery of IQ. Also worth noting in that study they couldn't infer causality since testing pre and post infection wasn't able to be done.

So overall, its an interesting datapoint but for the average person with a mild infection I'd say things aren't looking too bad there.

The main reason I found the publication interesting is because I've noticed since Covid a clear reduction in worker productivity around me and after doing a quick search on Google it looks like it's a global issue with worker productivity continuing to fall and for some countries sitting at multi decade lows. There is no way to make and clear link between the two though, because the way people work has changed and some people now work from home etc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom