COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Man of Honour
If someone gets flu in your house all the house gets infected at around the same time ie multiple people all suffering from flu symptoms?

Depends a bit on the variant and how it was introduced - colds/flu in the past have generally been picked up at one persons work and then a slightly staggered outbreak within the household setting, sometimes everyone, sometimes some people escape it. As a kid sometimes we visited a relative, etc. where they've had it and then our whole family went down with it about the same time, etc.

Soldato
I hope we can agree Spanish flu was an exception.
We are a couple of mutations away from one of our currently-circulating flus becoming as dangerous as Spanish flu was. Or a different, usually mild, coronavirus becoming worse than covid 19. In this sense both Spanish Flu and Covid 19 are exceptions to the normal risk profile of their respective virus families.

Man of Honour
We are a couple of mutations away from one of our currently-circulating flus becoming as dangerous as Spanish flu was. Or a different, usually mild, coronavirus becoming worse than covid 19. In this sense both Spanish Flu and Covid 19 are exceptions to the normal risk profile of their respective virus families.

Thing with many diseases like this, they generally struggle to sustain momentum of early infection chains, but once they get going all bets are off. Which is one of the reasons some of the really nasty stuff so far hasn't gone pandemic and why it is usually a good idea to respond early to potential outbreaks while there is still a chance of preventing one.

Soldato

I've just been reading the reports of the Derek Draper documentary. I haven't watched it myself yet as it's too close to home at the moment.

I knew of Draper during the New Labour era, along with Peter Mandelson, he was one of the spin doctors of Labour.

To see him crying because he can't stand up, calling himself pathetic, is heart breaking and an experience I can relate to.

The worst thing about covid and its lasting effects is we still haven't got it under control. Everyone is still vulnerable, whether you've had the vaccine or not. You might not have noticeable lasting effects until you're 5th, 6th, 7th etc infection. At some point your immune system will start struggling and letting common viruses cause more issues than usual.

We need at least a diagnosis blood test, and treatments by at least the end of the year.

Associate
The main reason I found the publication interesting is because I've noticed since Covid a clear reduction in worker productivity around me and after doing a quick search on Google it looks like it's a global issue with worker productivity continuing to fall and for some countries sitting at multi decade lows. There is no way to make and clear link between the two though, because the way people work has changed and some people now work from home etc

Probably more psychological damage to be honest. Which is understandable.

I wonder how many people with the benefit of hindsight would have supported the draconian measures again which stopped children developing in schools, young adults at University, people starting careers and their lives etc. I'm sure the bloated middle aged people who had given up on their lives already didn't care and the old people who were not left to rot in homes.

We'll never know but I'm guessing it would have gone differently if we'd had more politicians that could have walked a finer line.

Soldato
I think the main problem wasn't the lockdown. It was that the government never acted with confidence in anything they did.

For example we had lockdown at the same time we were still allowing direct flights from hot-spot areas around the world.

The eating out scheme was another idea that was contradictory to lockdown.

I also think there should have been a whole different system for shopping as I suspect the supermarkets were the biggest transmission hot-spot in the UK.

Bumbling Boris didn't inspire confidence.

Man of Honour
the only factor which seemed to be noticeable was people with existing vulnerabilities who'd normally fair badly with a disease like this had it about the same as everyone else - some of them based on their medical history would have ended up in hospital normally and didn't.

I can 100% say with absolutely zero doubt in my mind that the jab + boosters saved me from death or serious illness.
I've got that many comorbidities and I was on my hospitals 'At Serious Risk' list but of course I don't really know for sure, I may have a gene to shake it off.
Luckily after jabs I've had Covid 3 times and none were as bad as a really weak cold.
It may get me in the end.

To see him crying because he can't stand up, calling himself pathetic, is heart breaking and an experience I can relate to.

That documentary last night was heartbreaking.
I accidentally watched a Katie Hopkins video yesterday about the England Flag, it was quite amusing but it linked to two videos about Derek and him being the Covid Poster Boy.
I don't know how she gets away with it, truly evil.

Man of Honour
"Probably" - "Guessing". Why not wait for actual medical opinion? Oh yes, I remember.

I am also sure with hindsight we could have averted the start of WW2, it is truly a wonderful thing.

I can only face palm repeatedly when I see/hear some people's opinion which basically consists of "see we didn't need to brake before that blind corner there was nothing there" after the fact.

With these kind of diseases they are almost always at least one step ahead of what we can see, more so with situations like with this pandemic where at first there was resistance to even taking it seriously, then very dragged out process of carrying out high quality studies and then finally panic and sometimes reacting to outdated information.

It was a lose lose situation, not take it seriously and it turned out to be the "big one", which is was very capable of being, and we'd have been in serious trouble.

Last edited:
Associate
"Probably" - "Guessing". Why not wait for actual medical opinion? Oh yes, I remember.

I am also sure with hindsight we could have averted the start of WW2, it is truly a wonderful thing.

There was plenty of medical opinions (and I'm not talking about quacks and alternative medicine) that did not have their voice heard.

I can only face palm repeatedly when I see/hear some people's opinion which basically consists of "see we didn't need to brake before that blind corner there was nothing there" after the fact.

With these kind of diseases they are almost always at least one step ahead of what we can see, more so with situations like with this pandemic where at first there was resistance to even taking it seriously, then very dragged out process of carrying out high quality studies and then finally panic and sometimes reacting to outdated information.

It was a lose lose situation, not take it seriously and it turned out to be the "big one", which is was very capable of being, and we'd have been in serious trouble.

Lots of words which means nothing. There is a reason we are meant to have checks and balances all of which were thrown on the heap. There was no consensus on actions it was just piled on.

The consensus at the start should have been extreme caution (ironically people called racist for closing some borders ;) ) , followed by updating and following situation and balancing the topics of freedom, health preservation and demographic needs.

What happened was just hysterics after hysterics. I genuinely was amused watching people almost desperately wishing even omicron (?) was a "big deal" towards the end to keep the excitement going.

The reality is people were sucked into a scam that profited lots of people hugely at the expense of peoples freedoms, medical choices and their lives.

Why is there no accountability for the huge amounts of money spent, where is the accountability for the wildly inaccurate modelling predictions etc.

We are all paying the price for that in multiple ways and this debt won't be paid for a long time.

Soldato
Over 200,000 with covid on their death certificate in the uk alone.

It was a pretty big deal. Without the vaccination roll-out it would have been far, far worse.

Uk health services struggled badly in both the first and second waves. Nosocomial infection was a big problem at several points- and I know this, I'm not guessing.

While I may have some issues with how travel restrictions and lockdown were implemented, I can understand why that decision was taken at the time.

As for the modelling- there were wildly different estimates early on(Feb 2020), and some of those were absolutely terrifying. No-one really knew what would happen as evidence wasn't in.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Lots of words which means nothing.

Was that a warning for what was about to follow?

Although I somewhat agree as to the hysteria and accountability, some of my extended relatives made millions from the pandemic - laughing all the way to the bank with money from the government providing about 1/10th the value in services if that (I'm fairly sure some of the abandoned poor quality PPE found in a field was from their company).

A lot of the "wildly inaccurate" modelling was doing the best with the information available, especially in the early days when governments and those running large organisations/institutions were doing everything they could not to take it seriously.

Last edited:
Associate
Over 200,000 with covid on their death certificate in the uk alone.

It was a pretty big deal. Without the vaccination roll-out it would have been far, far worse.

Uk health services struggled badly in both the first and second waves. Nosocomial infection was a big problem at several points- and I know this, I'm not guessing.

While I may have some issues with how travel restrictions and lockdown were implemented, I can understand why that decision was taken at the time.

As for the modelling- there were wildly different estimates early on(Feb 2020), and some of those were absolutely terrifying. No-one really knew what would happen as evidence wasn't in.

I'm sure there were people shot to death with covid on their certificates...I wonder how many actually died fully of just Covid.

And I can provide a wildly optimistic/pessimistic view to my board on something but I will be held accountable. But people were able to provide ridiculous and laughable claims that shaped society and just shrug their shoulders and be like yeah....not even a sorry!

Was that a warning for what was about to follow?

Although I somewhat agree as to the hysteria and accountability, some of my extended relatives made millions from the pandemic - laughing all the way to the bank with money from the government providing about 1/10th the value in services if that (I'm fairly sure some of the abandoned poor quality PPE found in a field was from their company).

A lot of the "wildly inaccurate" modelling was doing the best with the information available, especially in the early days when governments and those running large organisations/institutions were doing everything they could not to take it seriously.

Lots of people made a fortune and again no accountability for the money. But the government's stoked this behaviour.

Basically most of the powers that be threw society under the bus whilst people got rich and lived their lives. And again no accountability. Then on top of restricting freedoms and choice they then tried as hard as possible to get people to take medical solutions. And not with tried and tested methods but with experimental procedures (not that I am against mrna in the future btw) that had never been tried on such a scale before.

I'm sorry but it was abusive and stupid, but people showed themselves to be willingly treated like cattle.

For myself I'm quite happy at having travelled the world cheaply, made a fortune of the whole irrationality and laugh at the claims that everyone died. I still know no one that died from this from my entire extended family/friends and professional network.

I do know people that suffered from the vaccination however. There was even a trader in nearby company that dropped dead with myocarditis after getting his shots.

Tbh it's a circular discussion, some are too far down the rabbit hole on both sides whether it's some 5g **** or rabidly still checking stats and wearing masks. There is a cohort in middle that regretted it and would have done it differently who are close to those that say the ends justified the means and that it was a symptom of times.

All I know is that in 10 years time when everything is fully tracked beyond our wildest dreams people will look back to this point as to when people accepted and welcomed greater control in their lives.

Soldato
So let it go then! You seem to love coming back for more.

Top marks for the passive aggressive tone though. Mixed with your attempted profundity “and so dear reader, twas the point we gave up control” you’ve managed cracker and cheese. Bravo.

Last edited:
Associate
Seriously so when you saw the News in March 2020 coming out of China, Italy, Spain etc you thought it was all about control?

No I literally said the opposite on this very same page! I've no issue with responding to such situations and I myself at the time was cautious! Who wouldn't be!!

But the situation evolved and the response to it did not. Intact it became increasingly disassociated with the facts as time went on.

Back
Top Bottom