CPU, Motherboard & Ram Build £500

Associate
Hi Guys.

I am looking to build a system around £500.

For the moment Graphics & HDD/SSD's are not included. They come later.

I am looking at Intel I7 4770K, MSI Z87-GD65 and Corsair Vengance Pro Ram DDR3 1886 Mhz CL9.

I really want to build it around the I7. Can anyone advise if the board and ram are ok? Any better suggestions?

Thanks

Caporegime
YOUR BASKET
1 x Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK - Devil's Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU & Motherboard Bundle **£30 Saving + Gigabyte Free Upgrade + £30 Intel Cashback ** £372.98
1 x Avexir Golden Blitz 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit (AVD3U24001008G-2BZ1SE) £139.99
Total : £522.58 (includes shipping : £8.00).

£32.50 cashback - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18637856

5 year warranty on the board and upgrade within 3 years - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18631511

----------------------------------

What is the system for?

What case+cooling do you have as the RAM is rather tall.

Associate
OP
Its just a basic system for surfing and a gaming. I dont need it top top spec. The case is AvP Defender 300 and I wont be overclocking it.

Caporegime
Yes.

But should you update to a more modern GFX, then get a newer PSU as they degrade over time.

But!

Does it have the right connector? it looks like it has 4pin ATX and not 8pin ATX and two SATA, the rest are molex.

------------------------

New PSU time I think - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-003-SF

Which has all the connectors and will power any single gpu card.

Associate
OP
Yes the next GFX cards are in the coming months.

I seen some converters that are supposed to work

However if need be I can just purchase a new PSU. The old one is a bit.....old anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Yeah, new PSU.

If you have to use converters etc then you know somethings wrong.

I linked a nice one above.

I have edited out the link as its classed as a competitor.

-------------------------

What is your current GFX card then? model name etc.

Caporegime
I'm not even sure thats going to work, its AGP?

AGP is an old interface superseded by PCI-E.

It is lucky that the CPU has onboard GFX and the board has a range of connectors to hook up to a monitor.

The CPUs onboard GFX is probably better than that card anyway.

Associate
OP
Hmm maybe its not then. Im not at home at the moment so cant see in the PC. Im 90% sure its a PCI card. Maybe the 5500 is in the other even older PC.

But whatever card it is....it is old. If need be I can buy a cheap card to get me buy until the end of December when I can replace it with something more powerful.

Caporegime
Well do check when you get home, but as above, you can always fall back onto the CPUs built-in solution (just dont expect any gaming on it).

If you are intending to use an old DVD drive etc, check it is not IDE (fat ribbon cables).

*Even if the card is PCI (PCI and PCI-E are not the same) then its probably so old and weak that the CPUs HD4600 GFX core is most likely faster anyway.

Back
Top Bottom