• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Using 90 percent GPU using 40/60

Associate
Hi, so no matter what game i play my cpu is working way harder than my gpu and im not sure how to fix it. I factory reset my PC and that didnt fix it so i went into Nvidia control panel and changed aload of settings that are supposed to make the GPU work harder, That didnt work so i reset the setting back to normal and now im not sure what else i can do. I have had this PC for 2 years it has only recently started playing up.

Specs:

Geforce GTX 1080
31.97 GB RAM
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
MSI Z270-A PRO Motherboard

I dont know if these photos help or not but this is while playing Rainbow 6 seige at 144 fps the big drops in the graphs are from be tabbing out of the game to change what task manager was displaying

image0.jpg
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

Soldato
If you are playing Siege at 144 fps then I would imagine you are at the monitor refresh limit so GPU doesn't need to work any harder?

If uncapped frame rate then just at CPU limit

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Because the cpu is weak. 4 cores is not enough and is clearly a bottleneck in this situation.

I recommend upgrading your CPU. Or maybe try overclocking the CPU with a better cooler

Soldato
4 cores is the reason.

You will always now in recent title be held back by your CPU.
Hi, so no matter what game i play my cpu is working way harder than my gpu and im not sure how to fix it. I factory reset my PC and that didnt fix it so i went into Nvidia control panel and changed aload of settings that are supposed to make the GPU work harder, That didnt work so i reset the setting back to normal and now im not sure what else i can do. I have had this PC for 2 years it has only recently started playing up.

Specs:

Geforce GTX 1080
31.97 GB RAM
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
MSI Z270-A PRO Motherboard

I dont know if these photos help or not but this is while playing Rainbow 6 seige at 144 fps the big drops in the graphs are from be tabbing out of the game to change what task manager was displaying

image0.jpg
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

run 3dmark timespy and post the link to the results here. this game only really uses 4 cores
anyway and at low resolution it will hammer the cpu.

Soldato
Not sure what the issue is, your behaviour is somewhat expected. A higher refresh rate means the CPU has to work harder in preparing more frames to feed to the GPU.

If your have a 144hz monitor then its not really an issue if your hitting 144 FPS. Now given your GPU usage is low, what it means is you can increase the visual quality settings without impacting the FPS to the point the GPU becomes the limitation again. So crank up some visual settings (not overkill so as to make the GPU the limit again) and enjoy the benefits of both 144 FPS gameplay + nice settings IMO.

Soldato
I went from 3770k at 4.6 to 8700k and noticed a massive difference in almost every game I played. At the time I was playing cod WW2 and had a bad CPU bottle neck, the 8700k removed it completely and my performance shot up.

For Get about threads they don't perform anywhere close to actual core.

@1.25 and this was a year ago games have gotten even better using more cores, pubg for example used to be shocking now it performs really well.

7700k isn't weak at all but its still dated at the same time. The higher you push for them frames the more bottlenecked you become.

Soldato
If your frame rate is capped your GPU usage will not hit 100%. But also at games where the GPU can drive 200-300 frames (arbitrary figure and example) with a beast CPU but you can only managed 140-200 uncapped, then it's clear your CPU is the bottleneck.

The fps you are getting is high enough for it not to matter (unless you really want 200-300 fps). I'd be more concerned if you end up with similar bottlenecks at 60-80fps,then it's probably time to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom