• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cracked IHS On Macbook Pro Logic Board

Permabanned
If it is the die, then over tightening the screws on the cooler can crack it.
This would probably be easier than attacking it with blunt/sharp objects since it is a different kind of stress.
I would say, if it was fine before they had it and the die was cracked afterwards then they damaged it when putting the cooler back on. There's no other reasonable explaination.

or he did it removing the cooler after the repair, you should remove the fitting the same way you do them up opposites.

Associate
DWg74yUzYrkvUs5r5

Here's a photo, if it's worked
It did not.

Soldato
There's thermal paste on the cracked/missing part of the die. Makes me think they broke it and stuck the heatsink back on.

Also which Macbook is it ? Might be worth looking at an image of the board online to see what else they did to it.

Associate
OP
Yes pretty much the whole top is missing. And an important thing to note is that the heat sync does not really sit on the GPU at all, only the actual CPU. The thermal paste is from where I showed the technical, and he started poking it. It's from a mid 2014 MacBook Pro.

Permabanned
Wow yep that will do it. If you look its inline with the mounting screws on that side, it could have been done when putting on/off the cooler.

You can get the cpu replaced but that's not cheap.

The problem the op as is he as opened it. Apple will take no responsibility in any way shape of form. When he says he as photos of before and after they will rip up any warranty.
However as I have said they will have booted it in front of him and there is no way that ever booted looking like that.

Associate
My guess would be something has been used to pry the heatsink off instead of using heat to loosen the TIM. Would explain the damage to the board on the top-right side and the ham-fistedness to rip part of the die clean off.

If I were to be extremely cynical and accusatory, I would guess "logic board short" and "replacing different parts" is BS and they simply broke it during disassembly.

Permabanned
Dude the die is cracked, send it back... pure carelessness because of either too much pressure or incorrect fitting of the heatsink i.e. the screws were not done in the correct order.

your missing the point here, apple would have test booted the laptop in front of him, a CPU like that would never have booted.

Associate
I just saw the image and to me, that CPU is dead...

You have to remember that on that silicon is billions (yes...billions) of transistors/logic gates etc..so one scratch on an exposed die and you will wipe out 1,000s of transistors...which is something very likely to have happened (a scratch) when too much pressure was applied on the heatsink (as kleox54 suggested).

As for the whole (whodunnit) argument, it's your word against theirs.

But if you are to accuse a company of having botched a repair and cracked the IHS, the owness is upon you to prove that it was damaged due to their negligence or simple incompetency (something impossible to prove definitively).

The fact there there is some doubt that it could have been like this before it was taken (not that I believe it to be the case, but what the repair company will most certainly argue), remains to be determined, in small claims court, in front of a judge.

This is a longshot but you can try sending the images and/or contacting this guy (Rossman's Repair Group) by sending him an email or something, he should be able to confirm instantly if there is any chance in a repair or not.

Now, if it were me, I would write to the repair company, 1-2-3 times, with each time giving the 7 days to resolve the matter.

On the 3rd letter I would inform them of my intent to take the matter to the small claims court. Then I would take legal action if I genuinely believed that this was damaged through no fault of my own.

I would then show the photos/evidence/letters to show the courts I gave the repair company a reasonable amount of time to resolve the dispute amicably, and see what they say.

If you're based in the UK then this should be an easy fairly straight-forward process.
Altenratively, if based else-where, you'd have to consult your local consumer rights/laws for that kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom