Crash update...

Man of Honour
I'm not trying to be a **** about the subject but I think you are over reacting by giving up riding on the road.

You've been told numerous times to calm down on the road, you said this wasn't your fault which I believe but don't let it stop you doing something you enjoy.

You don't have to be riding beyond your limit on the road, just be sensible and have fun when the road allows you to.

Sorry to hear about the crash, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

It's a perfectly reasonable reaction. I broke my leg in a bike accident yesterday and I'm not currently keen on riding again.

Caporegime
I can guarantee you I've had more offs than everyone in this thread combined, only in a&e twice mind (and I'm a lot older and calmer now) but I'll never give up riding.

Kreeee what happened dude?

Soldato
I know quite a bit about skin grafts after burning myself very badly last year and requiring several large grafts. One thing I'd say is once they have healed enough to start physio, make sure you stay on top of it. Split thickness grafts have a nasty tendency to contract, so you need to keep stretching it regularly. Also you will need to keep the skin moisturised, I can recommend QV Skin Lotion, sinks in really quickly and doesn't feel greasy.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I can guarantee you I've had more offs than everyone in this thread combined, only in a&e twice mind (and I'm a lot older and calmer now) but I'll never give up riding.

Kreeee what happened dude?
How many?

I'm lucky that my crashes happened whilst riding fairly sensibly, I had my fun before the crash... 2CT's really are great tyres, I only did just over 1000 miles on them, but not even once did they lose traction.

Crikey - how are you doing now? This forum's on a bad run :(
It's not just the forum, a few locals had offs and due to some deaths a few gave up... It's this bad luck from last year that is continuing to haunt everyone...
I know quite a bit about skin grafts after burning myself very badly last year and requiring several large grafts. One thing I'd say is once they have healed enough to start physio, make sure you stay on top of it. Split thickness grafts have a nasty tendency to contract, so you need to keep stretching it regularly. Also you will need to keep the skin moisturised, I can recommend QV Skin Lotion, sinks in really quickly and doesn't feel greasy.
How did you burn yourself? I'll note that lotion down.

What does this mean for the OcUK Alps trip? :o
lol

Soldato
When I'm on my bike I see lots of riders who ride not thinking about 'what can happen' and ride on what they see in front of them.

Take that sweeping bend at 70mph. What if there's diesel on the road? A tractor coming the other way. A driver overtaking on a bend?....all these possibilities and more.

I have never seen an accident but every time I see that type of riding i'm thinking how come it never happens to them but it would probably happen to me?

Soldato
It's a perfectly reasonable reaction. I broke my leg in a bike accident yesterday and I'm not currently keen on riding again.
Dude, you alright?

See, I try not to think about anything happening when I'm out, or got forbid anyone else i'm with. I think living in fear will ruin the joy of a ride. I know it's easy to say, and I won't know until, or if, I have an off myself.
It's just awful, and eye opening how quick it can go wrong.

Associate
When I'm on my bike I see lots of riders who ride not thinking about 'what can happen' and ride on what they see in front of them.

Take that sweeping bend at 70mph. What if there's diesel on the road? A tractor coming the other way. A driver overtaking on a bend?....all these possibilities and more.
Here here.

2 good 'rules' to ride by:
  • Never ride at more than 80-85% of your ability on the road.
  • Try and always make sure you are able to stop within the distance you are able to see.
Admittedly you can't/won't follow these all the time but good to keep them in the back of your mind.

Caporegime
Depends on your definition of fun :p

I had a fair few breakages and learned a few very important lessons but I wouldn't change it for the world. They're nowhere near as bad as road crashes though, those were the two that put me in A&E.

Soldato
Always remember, there are much worse ways to go than riding your bike. I'd rather be grinning with a good lean on round a corner and it's suddenly all over than die slowly or die in a crappy car on a boring commute or something.

Just gotta hope it is an instant one and not paralysis or permanent (life altering) damage.

Could never see myself giving up riding because of an accident (unless I had to of course). I've had one and got off pretty lucky I suppose, could have had a properly crushed leg but the rad got in the way :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Always remember, there are much worse ways to go than riding your bike. I'd rather be grinning with a good lean on round a corner and it's suddenly all over than die slowly or die in a crappy car on a boring commute or something.

Just gotta hope it is an instant one and not paralysis or permanent (life altering) damage.

Could never see myself giving up riding because of an accident (unless I had to of course). I've had one and got off pretty lucky I suppose, could have had a properly crushed leg but the rad got in the way :p
Exactly - crossing the road is dangerous, like the video on the BBC site today you could get hit by a bus tomorrow...

It's also important to learn from every mistake or accident, even though the main cause might have been gravel, or oil, or a car pulling out there's ALWAYS something more you can do to have avoided the accident. Whether it's going slower round corners that could have gravel, or better observations and making yourself seen better.

Soldato
How did you burn yourself? I'll note that lotion down.

Stupidity coupled with bad luck. Trying to get a BBQ going with white spirits is not a good idea, the bottle exploded in my hand and showered me in burning fuel...

My upper chest/neck up to my chin is now mainly covered in the skin that was removed from both thighs since the first graft contracted so badly I could hardly move my neck so had to have a second one. Not the best way to get 5 months off work in retrospect :)

I really want to get back on the bike, not ridden since August last year when I had the accident. I can drive ok but my neck movement is still a bit limited when turning my head (i.e. life savers) so been working hard on the physio trying to get more movement. Starting laser therapy this week which may help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom