• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** CRAZY 780Ti DEAL: PERFECT FOR SLI UPGRADES!! **

Soldato
GB Windforce are not silent though once you hit over 60% fan rpm noise its way more than stock HSF & very noticeable unless you game with headphones on all the time.

I RMA'd one 3 months ago due to the noise :(

I sent my Ghz edition back for the same reason. It was as hot as the reference card but even louder.

Caporegime
Thanks Gregster.

Would rather get it from here, but they haven't got any :(

Any chance they will get some more, or should I start hunting somewhere else.

Sorry, I mean that I would like a EVGA one.

You could ask in CS if they will be getting any EVGA in at all. Not sure on the reply but I understand where you are coming from with wanting another EVGA.

Associate
Nvidia reference design has a giant Heatsink which expels most of the hot air out the back on the case!

but the reference designs tend not to beat the custom coolers for quietness (or heat dissipation/max overclock for that matter) in the benchmarks..is this correct? I assumed this is why strix, ax.20, twin frozr, windforce 3x etc exist?

For single gpu setups, I assume good case cooling and a custom gpu cooler above is the best way to go to maximise quietness and perhaps performance too?

say if its not so...

I can forsee how a blower cooler would become a better trade off with multi gpu setups as there is too much heat being pumped into the case?

thoughts?

Soldato
I went for refernece as I have an Aerocool Dead Silence m-ATX case. The 290 reference cooler screams at the higher speeds while this is more of a....swoosh.

You know what? The 290 reference cooler is a bit like last years F1 engines...while the titan cooler on the 980 is more like this years :)

EDIT: My bad, thought I was in a 980 thread, but it's still all relevant :confused::rolleyes:

Soldato
Even Gibbo said he wouldn't buy a 780ti now, unless it was £300.

But obviously different if you want one for SLI. Last time I looked, this is currently the best price for a new 780ti, so fair play to Gibbo/OCUK.

Think it would still make more sense to flog the 780 and go for 970 sli. Still fair enough on the low price.

Soldato
but the reference designs tend not to beat the custom coolers for quietness (or heat dissipation/max overclock for that matter) in the benchmarks..is this correct? I assumed this is why strix, ax.20, twin frozr, windforce 3x etc exist?

For single gpu setups, I assume good case cooling and a custom gpu cooler above is the best way to go to maximise quietness and perhaps performance too?

say if its not so...

I can forsee how a blower cooler would become a better trade off with multi gpu setups as there is too much heat being pumped into the case?

thoughts?
GTX 780 Ti Nvidia HSF appears to be an anomly vs Windforce. I can only talk about that version. Others maybe better at heat removal out the case. Unless your sensitive to noise & or sit close to your case the Windforce maybe ok I found it way too noisy once the GPU went above 60% loading the triple fans were noticeable I expected pure silence for my £500 a few months ago :rolleyes:

Caporegime
not sure whether to get the 780ti or 970 £50 difference, £70 if i get the msi 970

For me it would have to be the 970. Almost 780Ti perf, cheaper,1gb more vram, more up to date/latest features, 100w less power draw etc

i would only consider a 780Ti myself if it was around the £300 mark

Soldato
Gibbo has said it exactly as it is...it for people already have 780Ti to go SLI upgrade, rather than for someone who haven't already got a 780/780Ti card.

If look at people who own both GTX780 and the 970 over the discussion thread, you'd see that the 970 at 1500MHz only just around matches a 780 at 1240MHz. Just because it has bigger number of the MHz, it does not neccessarily mean it is automatically faster.

Soldato
Gibbo has said it exactly as it is...it for people already have 780Ti to go SLI upgrade, rather than for someone who haven't already got a 780/780Ti card.

If look at people who own both GTX780 and the 970 over the discussion thread, you'd see that the 970 at 1500MHz only just around matches a 780 at 1240MHz. Just because it has bigger number of the MHz, it does not neccessarily mean it is automatically faster.

At £100 cheaper

Selling the ti for £150 or so and buying two 970s should get much better performance for the same money as investing £350ish for an older card

Soldato
Gibbo, what's the chances of a manufacturer finding a container load of 780 6gb cards they'd forgot about and need to shift cheap?

I fancy another for sli.

Back
Top Bottom