• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Critical Error - Kernel-Power Event 41 - After 4090 install with RM1000 PSU

Associate
Mine had about 3 the other day at which point I made the changes I detailed earlier and it hasn't had another one yet. Not gamed on it though as waiting for new PSU to come later today before I load it. After some reading it would seem a single rail is preferred in a high performance rig so by swapping it out I not only get more headroom and the single rail option via physical switch, I also eliminate the PSU as being faulty if it still happens.

Associate
Well I have my HX1200 in set to Single rail now so we shall see what we shall see. Thought it would be a quick switch over despite being 20mm longer but no, someone at Corsair thought it would be funny to switch over the handing on the CPU 24-pin connector so I had to swop that out and re-route it gggrrrrr!

Associate
What motherboard? I was using an ASUS ROG b550i with my 4090, changed cables, settings, PSU, fresh windows install etc.

Found people having similar issues on the rog forums, was the board……. changed board (and processor / brand) and had zero issues.

Associate
To chip in I had a similar problem with Kernel power error crashing, I replaced or swapped out every component in the system including psu, motherboard, cpu, ram and graphics and it didn't fix it. The only component left to swap was the CPU, which I thought would be the least likely component to be faulty.

Swapped the 5700X for a 3700X and haven't had the problem since.

After 2 months of trying to find a solution, it was the CPU all along.

Last edited:
Associate
I was getting this random shutdowns with kernel 41 event errors that started happening when I upgraded things.
Here is what Ive done so far in-case this will help.

Original system that had no random shutdowns/kernel 41
Ryzen 3600 stock
B450M Mortar
RTX 3070
16GB 8pack 3200 RAM XMP mode
850w Revolt Pro
SN750 Black
2TB HDD
Windows 10

JUL2022 - Swap RAM to 32g Crucial Ballistix A2B2 Slot OC to 3600mhz C16. No Shutdowns/Kernel 41.

AUG2022 - Changed to 5900x. Shutdowns/Kernel 41 started happening a few weeks after installation.
It can happen while idle on desktop, web browsing, gaming and sometimes even immediately after start up.
It occurs very randomly about twice a week. Sometimes it can have a streak of 4 weeks without shutdowns/kernel 41.

OCCT stress test/ TM5 extreme anta777 both stable. Both can run for hours without shutting down.

Set windows power mode to performance, BIOS latest update, Disabled all C-states, reverted RAM OC and use XMP mode. No effect.

Decided to just live with it and save money incase I have to buy a new cpu,mobo,& ram.

Approx Nov/Dec2022
Another new symptom appeared where I click shutdown and the PC will start back up about 5 seconds after shutdown.
Not sure if you are having this issue.

Disabled Windows fastboot. This helped avoid the kernel 41 event error that occurs in the second symptom.

Feb2023 upgrade to RTX 4090 - Both issue still persists.

Mar2023 Changed CPU to 5800X3D - Random shutdowns while usage disappears (3 weeks and counting). Shutdown->startup issue still persists.

Changed memory arrangement to A1B1 (not optimal according to MSI)
Fresh install of Windows 10

Have not seen any of the shutdown->start issue so far (touch-wood).
RAM is now back to 3600mhz C16.

In my case, I think the CPU was root cause. I still dont get what caused the second symptom though.

Associate
As Windows 10 support ends in a couple of years, and my current Win 10 install is pretty old now, I'm going to wipe and fresh install Win 11 Pro tomorrow. Been toying with switching for a while anyway so hey ho.

Associate
I've actually just turned off the automatically restart feature in Advanced Settings for the moment. Having spent 2 days trying to get my laser scanner to connect to the PC and being told AMD system can be fickle I'm on the cusp of swopping back to Intel Z790 & 13900K as AMD has been tetchy ever since I moved to it. You always have this thought in the back of your head it's going to let you down.

Associate
So I believe I finally fixed this one. I wanted to try everything and give it some time to be sure.
As a recap, I have:
Reinstalled Windows.
Moved to Windows 11
Installed "all" latest drivers inc. Windows Update suggested ones.
Replaced the Motherboard (Tuff Gaming to ProArt)
Replaced the RAM (4x16 to 4x32)
Upgraded the PSU to HX1000
Done all the power plan stuff.
Disabled Fast Start
DDU the GPU Driver and installed the latest one.
Disconnected all connected devices
Re seated everything etc.
DISM / SFC etc.
Latest BIOS
Tried both Single & Multi Rail on the PSU
Basically all the stuff you will typically find on the internet when trying to diagnose Power Kernel 41 (63)
Many people turn off C-States but the ProArt doesn't have that.
At this point there were 2 potential culprits:
Faulty 4090
Faulty PSU Cable.

Now I ordered the Cable Mod 3 into 1 cable at launch and I had my 4090 for a couple of weeks leading up to that during which time I had the side panel off and used the adapter in the box (My 4090 is an FE)
After finding an obscure Reddit post about the same symptoms, I swopped out the Cable Mod one for the 2 into 1 Corsair type 4 cable and that seems to have fixed it. This post had several people with the same problem that is either a random total shutdown, or a black screen and the GPU fans ramp to max speed and a restart via the case button is required.
Nearly all resolved the issue when they replaced out their Cable Mod cable for either the adapter or the PSU vendors one.

Now I wanted to be sure before posting this as Cable Mod are kinda in the cack at the moment over the right angle adapter but it seems their full cable has issues too.

Footnote:
Build was about 9 months old when I got the 4090 and had been running a 3090FE just fine up to the 4090 install.
Originally it has the Tuff Gaming X570, RM850 PSU and the 4x16 RAM. It has always had a 5950X.

I don't view the swop outs negatively as I now have 128GB of RAM and I use way over 64 at times plus the ProArt is a way better board. I had already bought the HX1000 for the 4090 upgrade to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom