Critical Incident *breaking news* - Another stabbing!

Soldato
Stop and Search being used in a racist way, Stop and Search isn’t inherently racist.
This is interesting to me. If you do truly random stop and search in Lewisham or Croydon then you are going to get a bias towards the inherent local demographic.

That could still be spun as racist if certain people wanted it to be.

Having worked and spent time in both, I’d be happy with aggressive stop and search regardless. I have seen some crazy stuff in both places.

Last edited:
Soldato

Daniel Anjorin: Man charged with murdering boy in sword attack​

Marcus Aurelio Arduini Monzo, 36, from Newham, has now been charged with murder.

The dual Spanish-Brazilian national will appear at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.

He has also been charged with two counts of attempted murder, two counts of grievous bodily harm, aggravated burglary, and possession of a bladed article.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is interesting to me. If you do truly random stop and search in Lewisham or Croydon then you are going to get a bias towards the inherent local demographic.

Having worked and spent time in both, I’d be happy with aggressive stop and search regardless. I have seen some crazy stuff in both places.

Stop and Search isn’t random. One of its key components is it is intelligence led. Partly because too many racist cops were getting bored and “randomly” stopping only black people.

The Police are too racist to trust to be random.

Soldato
Too few police

There are 171,000 police officers (Statistica), the largest number since 2010 (172,000) and vastly more than the ~105,000 officers (BBC, 2010) in 1979. Neither figure counts PCSOs or other auxiliary staff. That BBC article also shows that crime has exploded since the 1960s, from under 1M incidents to a peak of 6M in the 2000s. I expect the reason is drugs, but cannot immediately find data to support that.

Soldato

Further to this, I think it demonstrates your lack of understanding of what Stop and Search is… so you and people who don’t understand it or the police, should probably not discuss matters until you do.

Soldato
There are 171,000 police officers (Statistica), the largest number since 2010 (172,000) and vastly more than the ~105,000 officers (BBC, 2010) in 1979. Neither figure counts PCSOs or other auxiliary staff. That BBC article also shows that crime has exploded since the 1960s, from under 1M incidents to a peak of 6M in the 2000s. I expect the reason is drugs, but cannot immediately find data to support that.

Much like council tax, the more you pay/have the less you get.

Commissario
Much like council tax, the more you pay/have the less you get.
Or they're expected to deal with a lot more stuff now, do it in a way that is documented, and in many cases doing the jobs of backroom staff.

IIRC part of "austerity" involved getting rid of a load of police staff, but that was ok as they weren't going to fire "front line officers", unfortunately fully trained Police officers on higher pay ended up doing a lot of jobs that used to be done by lower paid auxillery staff who in general did a better job of it (someone whose entire job is to basically process a handful of different things day after day tends to know how to do it far better than say a police officer who might only do it a couple of times a year*).

Also the reason you're paying more council tax is a combination of inflation, reduced funding from central government, and central government pushing more and more spending commitments onto the local councils.

*Much the same reason you don't go to a conveyancing lawyer to deal with a rape trial, they'll know the theory of how it works but probably not done anything like it since training.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or they're expected to deal with a lot more stuff now, do it in a way that is documented, and in many cases doing the jobs of backroom staff.

IIRC part of "austerity" involved getting rid of a load of police staff, but that was ok as they weren't going to fire "front line officers", unfortunately fully trained Police officers on higher pay ended up doing a lot of jobs that used to be done by lower paid auxillery staff who in general did a better job of it (someone whose entire job is to basically process a handful of different things day after day tends to know how to do it far better than say a police officer who might only do it a couple of times a year*).

Also the reason you're paying more council tax is a combination of inflation, reduced funding from central government, and central government pushing more and more spending commitments onto the local councils.

*Much the same reason you don't go to a conveyancing lawyer to deal with a rape trial, they'll know the theory of how it works but probably not done anything like it since training.

Much like I have been informed that my customers do not care why, they want results, which in the case of the police would be fine if they stopped spewing ******** and told those that pay more each year for them and their useless commissioner to do a job that they continuously fail to deliver.

I'd rather now pay the same or extra for security to patrol and police my area than the local police.

Soldato
Whilst my borough, Croydon (which I think is the most populous borough in London at about 800k residents) has a reputation of being dangerous I can also confirm it is huge, probably bigger than every non-city in the UK. From Coulsdon to Norbury it’s about 12 miles long. There have been tragedies here but statistically (and personally) it’s very safe and quiet. I don’t know why I said all of that, maybe it’s a postcard to all the non “Londoners” who worry about what “since Khan” is doing to me.

Associate
Whilst my borough, Croydon (which I think is the most populous borough in London at about 800k residents) has a reputation of being dangerous I can also confirm it is huge, probably bigger than every non-city in the UK. From Coulsdon to Norbury it’s about 12 miles long. There have been tragedies here but statistically (and personally) it’s very safe and quiet. I don’t know why I said all of that, maybe it’s a postcard to all the non “Londoners” who worry about what “since Khan” is doing to me.
IIRC someone I know works in croydon (met), their response was that croydon is "very busy" - more than all the other boroughs they've worked in combined. Since I knew nothing of its size (until now), I now know why :cry:

Soldato

Its complex as usual, but there's a couple of main explanations of the massive rise in crime since the 60's.

Firstly, it has been successively reported and recorded more and secondly as technology and societal wealth increased more crimes have been created. One simple example, there wasn't a crime to record of driving without a seat belt before 1983.

Drugs are a factor, but not as I'm assuming you mean (a driver to commit economic crime) but again, they weren't even fully criminalised until the 1964 misuse of drugs act, before that Dr's used to prescribe people what they needed, so there was no real illegal recreational scene to police.

There is no simple answer as to why crime rates increased so markedly in the second half of the century. Over the period, there were significant changes to the types of offences recorded as crime, and how they are counted, making it difficult to accurately assess underlying trends in ‘real' crime. Recorded crime levels have also been affected by the behaviour of the public in reporting crimes to the police. An increase in the number of burglaries reported, for example, may partly be due to the relatively recent need to inform the police in order to make an insurance claim, rather than an indication of any real increase in the level of burglary.

New inventions, creating new opportunities for misdemeanour, a growth in the value of ordinary people's personal property, and the criminalisation of drug use have had real effects on crime levels during the 20th century. The most obvious example of an invention that has spurred crime is the motorcar: by 1991, a car was being reported stolen on average once every minute across England and Wales. Aeroplanes made international transport and smuggling easier, while the growing use of computers has created new kinds of offences

Last edited:
Soldato
On thing I don't understand, is that I have to prove my age to buy a Stanley blade online, yet it seems to be possible to buy a Samurai sword.
What's the law regarding these?
Mind, I am undecided about these things. By all accounts a practice sword (made of wood) is just as lethal as the real thing. Are we just bowing to the lunatics when we ban things? On the other hand, why would anyone need a sword?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tell you one thing, from all this Ukraine stuff, we are hopelessly equipped for another war. It's quite possible in the near future that countries like Iran could launch attacks on the UK, using missiles and or drones, and we could do nothing to stop them. You have to ask whether a nuclear deterrent is enough these days. After all, we aren't going to press the button if we get hit with the odd drone.
Whats any of this got to do with crime?

Soldato

But we have a lot more people in the country and a lot of imported crime. The sorts of crimes happening now you just didn't used to see in the UK.

I still don't see happening in my local town either tbh. It does seem to be mostly around London.

Tell you one thing, from all this Ukraine stuff, we are hopelessly equipped for another war. It's quite possible in the near future that countries like Iran could launch attacks on the UK, using missiles and or drones, and we could do nothing to stop them. You have to ask whether a nuclear deterrent is enough these days. After all, we aren't going to press the button if we get hit with the odd drone.

They would have to get ships in range range to launch stuff at the UK. Which would all be sunk pretty quickly. Or just send a few thermobarics back the other way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom