Critically evaluate the argument that psychology is a science ?

Soldato
I dont get time to post here mate, I wish I did, I just am too busy, I wish I wasent

Edit: Im not looking for attention or I would type this all day everyday, but science attempts to prove what is theory, so in theory (outlawed by science) what use is a world where every single element of existance is understood and factualised.

Doing GCSE philosophy? :D

Permabanned
The title is the exact full question, I have 2 others as well, but think am gona struggle to get info for one of them :)

Back to google I go ..........

Ok. The question implies that Psychology is already accepted as being a Science so you ned to evaluate the reasons why it is considered so. This means supporting the reasons for, while debunking those against.

What are the other questions?

Permabanned
Philosophy is a valid and complex field of academic study.:confused:

So say all the Philosophy students that get nowhere in life :D

Philosophy is not a quest for knowledge. Philosophy is on a quest for its own relevance. “Philosophy is dead.”- Stephen Hawking.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-Hawking-tells-Google-philosophy-is-dead.html

I suppose that in response, you are going to argue that Steven Hawkings is a stupid, or something similar as you normally would :D

Oh yea, another completely terrible subjest would be Theology. How completely and thoroughly useless that subject simply is! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok to the orignal OP start something and we will add to it, go.... :)

Edit: Above comment, how can you not understand that??????????

Ok ....

Some people consider psychology to be a science because it involves a theory which is then evaluated by doing a experiment ?

Some people on the overlcokersuk forum dont consider it a science so it cant be ?

Permabanned
So say all the Philosophy students that get nowhere in life :D

Philosophy is not a quest for knowledge. Philosophy is on a quest for its own relevance. “Philosophy is dead.”- Stephen Hawking.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-Hawking-tells-Google-philosophy-is-dead.html

I suppose that in response, you are going to argue that Steven Hawkings is a stupid, or something similar as you normally would :D

You clearly do not understand what philosophy actually is, or that Stephen Hawkins subsequently said he was only referring to philosophy in the broadest sense and being as his book is about 50% philosophy it would be strange to take it as anything more than a soundbite designed to get you interested in the philosophy of his book which refers to what he calls model-dependent realism, a philosophical construct in itself.

I would have though that the systematic, rational and critical study of science, knowledge and existence would have appealed to you given your own misanthropic philosophy on life.

Soldato
Philosophy is a valid and complex field of academic study.:confused:

So is psychology. :mad::p

OP, as Castiel says the question is inviting you to critically appraise the position that psychology IS a science. That is, examine the perspective of accepting the premise and scrutinise why this is so. Introduce (briefly) the history of how it came into being as a social science, compare it to the definition of 'science', add in some counter-argument and cite sources which debunk them, and draw your conclusions. Personally I'd ensure to reference 'hard' empirical/quantitative aspects of the discipline such as neuro-psychology, psycho-pharmacology, and other laboratory-based work. It depends what level you're writing at tbh. GCSE? A-Level? First year BSc?

Permabanned
I would have though that the systematic, rational and critical study of science, knowledge and existence would have appealed to you given your own misanthropic philosophy on life.

It does, thats why I love Biology and Geography so much :)

Even Philosophers have stated that Philosophy is bull**** :p

Soldato
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't. :o

I know. :) It was just a fortunate (for me) trip of words. :D

For someone who decries the narrow-minded attitude of his parents you don't half put across a blinkered viewpoint, bhavv. The apple never falls far from the tree it seems. :p

Caporegime
Indeed

However you are wrong, science does destroy, it destroys your dreams, if it is not proven then it is speculative (sp) which would you prefer:

1. Life after death is unknown

2. Life after death you are eating by worms and nothing happens, your entire life is worthless means nothing and has no bearing or point in the universe, you mean nothing

Science has it's place however I do like this quote...

'Asking science to explain life and vital matters is equivalent to asking a grammarian to explain poetry' - Taleb

Permabanned

Philosophy can indeed be BS, it can also offer insight and avenues of thought and critical study within a huge range of scientific, political and Ethical subjects across all kinds of positions and standpoints.

Biology itself has it's own branch of philosophy. So I find your irrational hatred of it strange.

Soldato
Philosophy simply is BS. I've never seen anything within the subject that isnt.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Permabanned
Yes that is a perfect image to relate to the subject of Philosophy, bravo!

A completely useless waste of classroom / lecture time, and money that is used to support the subject academically.

Permabanned
erm ... NO!

Philosophy has its own branch of Philosophical Biology, not the other way around as you imply.

Philosophy simply is BS. I've never seen anything within the subject that isnt.

it is a subfield within the philosophy of Science.

I would like to see you tell Richard Dawkins or Daniel Dennett that the philosophy of Biology is BS, or Jared Diamond for that matter as you are also interested in Geology.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@OP while I'm sure (or at least hopeful) that the field has improved a bit since, if you've got time grab a copy of 'surely you're joking mr Feynman' from your library (or buy a copy from amazon as it's a good book anyway) and take a look at the last chapter entitled 'cargo cult science'

Soldato
Yes that is a perfect image to relate to the subject of Philosophy, bravo!

A completely useless waste of classroom / lecture time, and money that is used to support the subject academically.

I may fundamentally disagree with you on several topics, but I did always credit you with more than a modicum of intelligence regardless. Your recent conduct and posts are honestly leading me to question this. :/

Back
Top Bottom