Crucial MX100 Over-Provisioning?

Associate
How do I go about doing this to maximise the life of my drive? Is it just a case of shrinking the volume by 20% in disk management and leaving it unallocated?

Thanks.:)

Soldato
does the SSD come with any software at all? as you can normally do stuff like that in the software

I know the Samsung ssds have this option under its magician software

Soldato
I just had a look and couldn't find any either.

if you want to set it my evo sets 23.29GB (10%) for OP.

all you need to do is shrink the volume down by the amount you wish to allocate and then not assign it any partition and just leave it unallocated, here is how my disk management looks as I have 2 evos.

gpObudbGvKu3sznQ

Man of Honour
From my experience the amount of OP most SSDs want you to set is way over the top - more like 3-4% is the most anyone will realistically need IMO though I could be wrong.

Associate
Stop worrying about SSD life!

I have had several SSD's running for years and havent not had a failure.

The oldest one is an OCZ Vertex v1 SSD running for the past 5 years 24/7 and see no errors on it yet, and this has run a combination of Windows and VMware, and these were supposed to be terrible. (performance is compared to the MX100's i recently purchased, but still faster than any HDD)

Generally I believe you will replace it for a larger one long before it dies from wear.

Associate
I can say I was completely put off by the OCZ Vertex II... I went through 2 of them (one was a warranty replacement) and then my third drive was a Corsair Force 3 that also failed miserably after a short amount of time. This was a few years back and I've not had an SSD since, but now i'm thinking about adding a small SSD to use for caching alongside my 2TB mechanical drive.

I know SSD's are miles better these days and I think i'm ready to give them another go, especially now they don't cost as much :).

Associate
I can say I was completely put off by the OCZ Vertex II... I went through 2 of them (one was a warranty replacement) and then my third drive was a Corsair Force 3 that also failed miserably after a short amount of time. This was a few years back and I've not had an SSD since, but now i'm thinking about adding a small SSD to use for caching alongside my 2TB mechanical drive.

I know SSD's are miles better these days and I think i'm ready to give them another go, especially now they don't cost as much :).

Just make sure to give Samsung a wide birth.

Back
Top Bottom